Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A parts quest with a happy ending

A parts quest with a happy ending

No, not THAT kind of happy ending. I need a strapping bar for my SVA2100s so I gave JBL a call. After a few transfers I ended up in India with a horrible connection and an a guy with an almost undeciferable accent. After taking my name and number and repeating the model number a few times he told me they didn't have the part. Oh well, the hunt goes on. I hung up and went about my business. About five minutes later the phone rings and it's my friend from India. It turns out they do have the part, sold only in pairs (anybody need one?) and it would cost me $13.75 including shipping and I should have it in a few days. It made my day!

Good news! I have a pair of extras I could have sold you, but getting factory originals is quite a victory.

Good for JBL parts.
    Out.

They sent me the wrong part. When something seems too good to be true... It's a strapping bar alright, it's just not a strapping bar for my speaker.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    They sent me the wrong part.
    I can't imagine...

AND, the Indian woman on the phone told me I was mistaken, and it was the correct part! I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for fifteen minutes. AND they said I was buying a pair, yet they sent only one. The part I need is on the left, the one they sent is on the right. They're looking into. I should get a call in a few days or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AND, the Indian woman on the phone told me I was mistaken, and it was the correct part! I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for fifteen minutes. AND they said I was buying a pair, yet they sent only one. The part I need is on the left, the one they sent is on the right. They're looking into. I should get a call in a few days or so.
    I'd ask for Peggy!

(re "Peggy", not problem)

No call, no email, no refund. How can the one of the largest, most distinguished audio conglomerates in the world (Harman) have such an incredibly lame parts department? I worked in the service division of Mitsubishi and Nakamichi in the 80s and 90s and this level of service would have gotten department heads fired. Pathetic. Who is Peggy, and how do I reach her? Is this how they treat their Mark Levinson customers? I really am amazed. When I offered to send a photo of the correct part and the one they sent me, I was given this email address: [email protected]. I told the guy, "That sounds pretty generic, are you sure you'll get it? Don't you have your own email?" He said, "Don't worry, I'll get it." Again, pathetic. The Rolls Royce of audio has the Trablant of customer service.

I can empathize... but mixing Trabant and Peggy in the same paragraph just adds to the unfortunate humor element ("Peggy" being a poorly stereotyped eastern European man, fielding credit card service requests... poorly, in a series of televised commercials). I'm sure we're all rooting for your eventual success.

Is this how they treat their Mark Levinson customers? I really am amazed.
    I think they expect the dealers to run interference for them. We certainly do... when our customers call us, we answer and when we need to raise hell up the food chain at JBL, Revel, Mark Levinson etc... the call is returned.

I realize that is no excuse for this level of poor service, but rest assured, if you had purchased a new product from a legitimate dealer you would have much better service.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I realize that is no excuse for this level of poor service
    You nailed it. Nothing more need be said.

My go to girl at Harman is Jamie. Call 1-800-336-4525, negotiate the menu until you get to "buy parts", tell the first operator you have an issue and want to speak to Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I'd ask for Peggy!
    Now I get it! Hilarious! I feel pretty stupid for asking for her contact info. It's also kind of ironic that the sound quality of the phone connection is so muffled that it sounds like the person you're talking to is buried under a two foot thick pile of blankets.

EDIT:

Called India, asked for Jamie, transferred and put on hold. Disconnected after eight minutes.

Called India again, after a 21 minute hold I got through to Jamie, who immediately credited my account and assured me she will either find the correct part or let me know it's NLA. She was awesome!

If it's NLA, I can start digging around for my spare, though it might be for an SVA1800. We'll need to check to see if they're the same size.
    Out.

Now I get it! Hilarious! I feel pretty stupid for asking for her contact info. It's also kind of ironic that the sound quality of the phone connection is so muffled that it sounds like the person you're talking to is buried under a two foot thick pile of blankets.

EDIT:

Called India, asked for Jamie, transferred and put on hold. Disconnected after eight minutes.

Called India again, after a 21 minute hold I got through to Jamie, who immediately credited my account and assured me she will either find the correct part or let me know it's NLA. She was awesome!
    That's why I always use the 800 number. I'd say 21 minutes is about the norm in my experience, do you still have "Give Me the SImple Life" playing in your head?

Thread Information