Thread: A visit to Rolf

leif

A visit to Rolf

I was sent to work at the airporot in Skien for 3 weeks. That is the town our member Rolf lives. So I decided to send Rolf a message asking if we could meet. And so we did.

I took a taxi to his countryside house, a beautiful place about 10 kilometer from town. Beautiful surroundings, with forest, nice view and fresh air. We sat outside enjoing a cold beer, and talked about all kind of stuff. And when it got cold, we went inside to see and hear his stereo system

I have never seen a pair of JBL 4343 before, and it was a shcock to me how big they actually was. MASSIVE!, yet a beautiful piece of furniture - at least in my opinion. But my wife would probably disagree.

The system was set up with a beautiful cd player from Burmester - expensive stuff that I have not heard before, a preamp from Perreaux, and two large power amps from the same company. I thought it was mono amps, but it was not. Rolf had a active crossover network, and one amp was driving the bass, the other was driving the rest.
    Rolf told that JBL was a good match with tube amps, and that Perreaux was close to the sound of tube amps. I was exited to hear, and it was time to put on a cd.

Dire Straits was playing, and it was no doubt: This was really good stuff. Crystal clear, powerful and dynamic. Just the way I like it. The room was not that big, and it was well furnited, so I would say it was more or less optimal when it came to how much one can get out of a room - and still call it a living room.

The sound was very different to what I am acustom to at home. My 4430 with Nakamichi amps soudn very different. The two systems is of course as night and day in many ways. I have a two way design, he have a 4 way design, and he use larger power amps, and external crossover. But not only that: My living room is extremely bad when it come to acoutics. Large hard surfaces, and a walnut floor without carpets: far far from the more ideal acoustics in Rolfs room. My experience is that the same system can sound very very different from one room to another. I belive many of you have the same experience.

We enjoyed some good music, from modern music, to jazz and blues. And we had some cold beers also. Very nice night indeed.

Thank to Rolf for inviting me home.
    It was a great experience!

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    Beautiful surroundings, with forest, nice view and fresh air.
    a pair of JBL 4343 ... MASSIVE!, yet a beautiful piece of furniture
    J Crystal clear, powerful and dynamic.

It was a great experience! ...
    Surely quite different sensory experiences.
    Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the nice word Leif. Yes, we sure had some very nice hours! The only thing I regret is that we forgot to take some pictures. From my side the only thing I could do was to present my equipment as it is. You liked the sound, and for that I am glad. Other people would disagree with our taste in sound. We should have played some more live recordings, but the hours was flying, and we did not get the chance. Maybe next time.

I have heard the 4430 only ones, at a show, and when time is right I would very much like to visit you a have a listen. Maybe we can take a closer look at your room and find out what improvement that can be done. I have some experience with that.

Maybe you can get me a flight ticket so I don,t have to drive?

If he's just 10km away for 3 weeks, maybe you guys can hook up again and get those pictures. And some more beers!

Sounds like fun! The 4343's are great sounding. Wish I had stole JBLDogs before the price shot up in the market. The 4430s or no wussies either. Thanks for sharing the experience......out of curiousity what is the beer of choice. After all I am Audiobeer I must know!

OK. I got it. AudioBEER! I doubt you ever heard of the brands. Leif come wit a six pack with Ringnes, witch is owned by the Danish Carlsberg. I got some from a local brewery, Grans. We had about 4-5 each during the evening/night. So now you know. Come visit and you will taste it among other brands. My guest room is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Sounds like fun! The 4343's are great sounding. Wish I had stole JBLDogs before the price shot up in the market. The 4430s or no wussies either. Thanks for sharing the experience......out of curiousity what is the beer of choice. After all I am Audiobeer I must know!

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    I was sent to work at the airporot in Skien for 3 weeks. That is the town our member Rolf lives. So I decided to send Rolf a message asking if we could meet. And so we did.

I took a taxi to his countryside house, a beautiful place about 10 kilometer from town. Beautiful surroundings, with forest, nice view and fresh air. We sat outside enjoing a cold beer, and talked about all kind of stuff. And when it got cold, we went inside to see and hear his stereo system

I have never seen a pair of JBL 4343 before, and it was a shcock to me how big they actually was. MASSIVE!, yet a beautiful piece of furniture - at least in my opinion. But my wife would probably disagree.
    The system was set up with a beautiful cd player from Burmester - expensive stuff that I have not heard before, a preamp from Perreaux, and two large power amps from the same company. I thought it was mono amps, but it was not. Rolf had a active crossover network, and one amp was driving the bass, the other was driving the rest.
    Rolf told that JBL was a good match with tube amps, and that Perreaux was close to the sound of tube amps. I was exited to hear, and it was time to put on a cd.

Dire Straits was playing, and it was no doubt: This was really good stuff. Crystal clear, powerful and dynamic. Just the way I like it. The room was not that big, and it was well furnited, so I would say it was more or less optimal when it came to how much one can get out of a room - and still call it a living room.

The sound was very different to what I am acustom to at home. My 4430 with Nakamichi amps soudn very different. The two systems is of course as night and day in many ways. I have a two way design, he have a 4 way design, and he use larger power amps, and external crossover. But not only that: My living room is extremely bad when it come to acoutics. Large hard surfaces, and a walnut floor without carpets: far far from the more ideal acoustics in Rolfs room. My experience is that the same system can sound very very different from one room to another. I belive many of you have the same experience.

We enjoyed some good music, from modern music, to jazz and blues. And we had some cold beers also. Very nice night indeed.

It was a great experience!

Leif
    It's amazing,I wish i could visit Rolf as well someday
    46 lover

You are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    It's amazing,I wish i could visit Rolf as well someday

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    You are very welcome!
    Thank you,but your home is too far away
    46 lover

scorpio
    Hi Rolf,
    I see from Leif's description that you're using Perreaux amps, which one are you using? Did you had a chance to compare them with other amps when you made the selection?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a new amp to use with my 4344, and I've seen a Perreaux stereo power amp that could be interesting... so any info/opinion on different amps is of interest!

Thanks,

Yes, I have listen to many different amps. There is many reasons why I picked Perreaux, but here are a few: 1) They sounds very good, 2) They use Mosfet transistors, and in my opinion Mosfets are the closest to the "Tube Sound", without the drawback of Tube amps. Again, after my opinion. 3) They are extremely rugged built, using military grade boards, hand picked components, and "never" breaks down, and are hand built. No automatic soldering and that kind of things. 4) They are tested at the factory to a level no user will come close to in use.

The ones I use is the 350. They cost some $$$, but they are worth it.

Of course there are many other brands that are very good, but in my opinion I have to at least double the price to get a "finger nail" better sound.

Hope this helps a little. If you (or others) have more questions about my reasons for picking the products I have, please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    Hi Rolf,
    I see from Leif's description that you're using Perreaux amps, which one are you using? Did you had a chance to compare them with other amps when you made the selection?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a new amp to use with my 4344, and I've seen a Perreaux stereo power amp that could be interesting... so any info/opinion on different amps is of interest!

Thanks,

scorpio
    Thanks Rolf, that's good to know, I was looking at a 350, but unfortunately, it seems like it's gone...

I'll try to have a listening organized though as it seems I'm looking for the same thing as you, the famed tube amp with SS control...

Cheers,

Gone? No, absolutely not. Check www.perreaux.com

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    Thanks Rolf, that's good to know, I was looking at a 350, but unfortunately, it seems like it's gone...

I'll try to have a listening organized though as it seems I'm looking for the same thing as you, the famed tube amp with SS control...

Cheers,

I would love to listen to Rolfs system and have a beer , but he may visit me before I can get to Norway..

Too bad abt Grete Waitz... she died waay too young.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Gone? No, absolutely not. Check www.perreaux.com
    Sorry, the one I was referring to was the ex-dem one from the local distributor that was for sale at about half of list price...

Thread Information