Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no. I did it. JBL 4520 related

Lee are you doing anything WRT time alignment. Also I notice that for exmple you had the 2405 way bck on top of a flt surface. Probably not a good thing. Other than that you are a nutter

Name:  applause.gif
Views: 1821
Size:  104.4 KB

I have since revised the position and located the 2405 as far back as possible, barely ahead of the medium driver. I will close the back of the medium driver tomorrow. I bought some 6" Sonotube and will make a round sealed enclosure. Probably around 9" deep.

BTW I love the sound of a cone driver mated to a long horn. The L104H- rolls off at 7k, where it is crossed over with the 2405. Great match. And the horns gives it some efficiency and projection. Unusual combo, I know, but it works, while the driver is cheap.

e155

I have been redesigning the 4520 enclosure to accept a pair of 18" drivers. I'd like to regain the tightness of the 4530 which is lost in the 4520, while reaching 15-20 Hz lower.

I checked out the 18" e155 bass instrument speaker. It has an Fs 30Hz (which I expect the new 4520 to be tuned to, and a Qts 0.2 which promises tight bass. What are you thoughts?

Tonight, I removed all four 2225 drivers to inspect them closely. From the front, the cones and suspension have 100% the same texture, glue colour, and glue spread. The felts all around the basket are also 100% identical. It is when I turned them on their face to inspect the back of the cones that the differences became clear.

The good sounding drivers had "2225h" written in big white letters, and a smallish white round "JBL Pro" tag. Not so on the two bad sounding ones. Different textures on the back of the cone, no script, no tag. Gonna have to have a chat with that dude who sold them...

So, I guess it does explain why one 4520 sounded good, and the other was anemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Tonight, I removed all four 2225 drivers to inspect them closely. From the front, the cones and suspension have 100% the same texture, glue colour, and glue spread. The felts all around the basket are also 100% identical. It is when I turned them on their face to inspect the back of the cones that the differences became clear.

The good sounding drivers had "2225h" written in big white letters, and a smallish white round "JBL Pro" tag. Not so on the two bad sounding ones. Different textures on the back of the cone, no script, no tag. Gonna have to have a chat with that dude who sold them...

So, I guess it does explain why one 4520 sounded good, and the other was anemic.
    They maybe not original cones

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    They maybe not original cones
    Definitely aftermarket recones of the most inferior quality soundwise.

tuning

the only way to "tune" a folded horn lower is to make it longer - for your goal, a LOT longer. Unlikely you would be able to fit it through any door. The Fs of the driver is mostly irrelevant unless it unloads easily ( ex: 2235 ) when given a signal below the horn's cutoff.

Physics doesn't change.

If you use 2 horns together, placed side by side, they should output a bit more energy in the lower end due to larger exit area.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    If you use 2 horns together, placed side by side, they should output a bit more energy in the lower end due to larger exit area.
    Yes. My thoughts too. For now, I will replace the two akward 2225h with a good pair and keep them that way until I build a pair of cabinets that can house two 2440 each.

the two akward 2225h
    What did the seller had to say about this?

Ben busy lately. BUt I am purchasing either a NOS C8R2225 and a freshly reconed 2225h, or two god used 2225h with JBL cones. Waiting for prices. Then this summer I will build the 4520s for 18" 2240h drivers. Found a place in the US where they have them for $125 a piece with recent original JBL recones.

Lee

Ben busy lately. BUt I am purchasing either a NOS C8R2225 and a freshly reconed 2225h, or two god used 2225h with JBL cones. Waiting for prices. Then this summer I will build the 4520s for 18" 2240h drivers. Found a place in the US where they have them for $125 a piece with recent original JBL recones.

Lee
    Good prices, if they are original.
    Let me know if you want to sell your two "bad" 2225s

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Let me know if you want to sell your two "bad" 2225s
    You'll be the first to know. I'll wait until I receive the other drivers.

Actually, I even thought for a moment they might have been 2227 recones in the 2225. The 2225 is known for its superior bottom end. No wonder the 2227 is a mid bass driver rated at 50% extra power if it lacks real 10Hz "down there"...

2227 kits will no way in hell work in 2225 baskets.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    2227 kits will no way in hell work in 2225 baskets.
    Don't think so either, VC won't fit in the gap.

Thread Information