Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ... Teenagers and College Students May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction

... Teenagers and College Students May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction

AES Budapest 2012

Some New Evidence that Teenagers and College Students May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
    Sean Olive, Harman International Industries Inc. - Northridge, CA, USA

A group of 18 high school and 40 college students with different expertise in sound evaluation participated in two separate controlled listening tests that measured their preference choices between music reproduced in (1) MP3 (128 kbp/s) and lossless CD-quality file formats, and (2) music reproduced through four different consumer loudspeakers. As a group, the students preferred the CD-quality reproduction in 70% of the trials and preferred music reproduced through the most accurate, neutral loudspeaker. Critical listening experience was a significant factor in the listeners’ performance and preferences. Together, these tests provide some new evidence that both teenagers and college students can discern and appreciate a better quality of reproduced sound when given the opportunity to directly compare it against lower quality options.

Convention Paper 8683

Look and listen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJQUZxvRvk

or for convinience as PDF:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16343460/New...uction.key.pdf

Last edited by Hoerninger; 05-20-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: pdf

I've heard about this before (on a podcast I believe) and its an interesting study. I'm not old (33) but I hope my and younger generations keep this "hobby" alive. It'd be intersting if a group would do a study on younger listeners hearing loss. Most of these younger folk use earbuds at extreme levels. I bet a lot of them have the same hearing of a 40yr old haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I've heard about this before (on a podcast I believe) and its an interesting study. I'm not old (33) but I hope my and younger generations keep this "hobby" alive. It'd be intersting if a group would do a study on younger listeners hearing loss. Most of these younger folk use earbuds at extreme levels. I bet a lot of them have the same hearing of a 40yr old haha
    ...and a 40 year old has old ears?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...and a 40 year old has old ears?

Widget
    HA!

...and a 60 year old has no ears! Beware Widget, eventually you will only be experiencing an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    ...and a 60 year old has no ears! Beware Widget, eventually you will only be experiencing an illusion.
    It would be difficult to place a percentage on it, but most hi-fi enthusiasts are living an illusion anyway. In fact, to be precise, the entire home music reproduction experience is an attempt to create as convincing an illusion as possible. We have the science and technology to do a compelling job of that, as evidenced by all the hyperbole thrown about when someone describes the in home musical experience:

"I was transported..."

"It was as if a veil were lifted..."

"The sense of rarified air and atmosphere..."

"Diana Krall was breathing in my ear..."

"It was as though a drop of sweat flew from Jeff Beck's dripping face..."

The rapture only gets worse from there. So much of it is self-induced and delusional.

No one is more easily deluded than I. That's why I like to have so many different systems around. I clearly can hear differences from system to system, yet in isolation, I can enjoy them all, without having the pang of "Oh, I wish I had..." instead of what I've got.

When someone announces that he or she has found "The perfect system. My search is over," I interpret that as someone's preferences, prejudices, and experience finally finding the perfect illusion. It seems right to them, at least until the next revelatory experience.

As for teenagers and college students, to assume that as a generation they will all stick to lossy tracks and earbuds is to be ignorant about them and clueless about one's own generation. There were plenty of people in my generation who listened to crappy little AM transistor radios with a single earpiece, and in my kids' generation who carried around WalkMan cassette players with crappy stereo headphones, and now in my grandson's generation who carry iPods and ear buds. And in each of those generations, the sound quality, technology, and accessibility all improved. So, IMO, things are better now than ever, and the step up for my kids and my grandkid is much smaller than the step up I had to take to get to quality sound.
    Out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    So, IMO, things are better now than ever, and the step up for my kids and my grandkid is much smaller than the step up I had to take to get to quality sound.
    i'd have to agree...

even the local dubstep kids have systems that are capable of re-producing the distortion-laden tracks that they (dubstep audiences) all seem to love so much -- with amazing clarity.....

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    "I was transported..."

"It was as if a veil were lifted..."

"The sense of rarified air and atmosphere..."

"Diana Krall was breathing in my ear..."

"It was as though a drop of sweat flew from Jeff Beck's dripping face..."

The rapture only gets worse from there. So much of it is self-induced and delusional.

No one is more easily deluded than I. That's why I like to have so many different systems around. I clearly can hear differences from system to system, yet in isolation, I can enjoy them all, without having the pang of "Oh, I wish I had..." instead of what I've got.

When someone announces that he or she has found "The perfect system. My search is over," I interpret that as someone's preferences, prejudices, and experience finally finding the perfect illusion. It seems right to them, at least until the next revelatory experience.
    Over at a site like Head-fi, which is really full of guff, the lifted veils and revelatory improvements are usually about tweaks, like burning in cables, a ruinously expensive NOS tube or isolation feet. At least I can get behind someone who hears a new rig and likes it a lot more than what they have heard before. Me, I like it when it makes me happy. I have so far escaped the mania for the ultimate. I must be doing OK. I am very happy.

The one experience I would like is Diana Krall breathing in my ear, but that would be in person and would have nothing to do with music reproduction. Hopefully it would lead to something that looks a lot like an attempt at reproduction.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Hopefully it would lead to something that looks a lot like an attempt at reproduction.
    that is absolutely brilliant, well done!
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

That's why I like to have so many different systems around. I clearly can hear differences from system to system, yet in isolation, I can enjoy them all, without having the pang of "Oh, I wish I had..." instead of what I've got.
    I agree completely on that point. It sure is nice being able to swap things out or just go upstairs for a change of pace.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    that is absolutely brilliant, well done!
    While totally unintended, when read in that light notice how Robb's comment fits right in.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

That point was not lost to all

Very true. I'm the most devoted sound reproduction geek among my friends and everyone always compliments my systems either verbally or with subtle phisycal cues such as jawdropping, drooling or STFU for a elongated period of time. 128kbps mp3's are really disgusting sounding on quality hifi but most of todays electronic music does not benefit from being stored in hi res formats due to being poorly produced on shitty monitors by occupation deafend dj/producers right from the begining, making 320kbps mp3 good enough for most of the low dynamic range overcompressed, clipped and distorted stuff. As bad as most of such music sounds compared to high dynamic range well recorded jazz trios it still highly benefits from being played through high-end speakers and amps with plenty of headroom and finese.

On that account I shall bring up my friend's reaction to the discovery of how his favorite dubstep/chillstep tracks sound on hifi equipment. I could literally not move him away from the stereo for two straight hours. Even then the only motivation to make him move away was with chicks and booze. I too was impressed with the sound mostly by the low f punches - he on the other hand never yet heard such clear and neutral hi's mid's and also appreciated the lows that for the first time in his experience weren't boomy/mushy.

Everyone who encounters quality stereo for the first time really enjoys and appreciates it. The reason they don't have it at home is because of being brainwashed by 20 years of marketing resulting in degradation of their requirements reinforced by lower and lower quality equipment marketed as the new real deal. Ignorance is bliss. Thankfully I keep converting one by one. Plant the seed, water it from time to time and it shall flourish one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Plant the seed, water it from time to time and it shall flourish one day.
    My son is not a teenie, but a college student at 30 (just got his Masters and working on PhD)...I am storing (well using..) his L100's and he has L56's and spins vinyl on an SL-1200 mk1...one of the best college classes he took was MUSIC APPRECIATION...it really opened up his mind to everything from the 30's on ....

back to the quote ...
    when he was in the 3-6 age range, I controlled his media intake ...made up vidTapes of things that were preferable to TV ( mostly Gumby and Pokey, Yellow Submarine ..etc) and I made cassette tapes to be played at bedtime on his little auto shutoff player ...they were mainly LVB and Mozart .

I am amazed at what he now teaches me abt music ... and quality playback is always a high concern with him.

the seeds I planted have flourished well over the 25+ years.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Way to go! Music appreciation - what a class! I've been learning this stuff on my own for the last two years and now I take pleasure from listrning to orchestral all the way to gabber. If I could only make my parents tolerate classic soulful house music at high volume level... . They'll get it sooner or later, must keep collecting class sleeves for the occasion.

Thread Information