Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown Amps

Crown Amps

I am making a return, back to Solid State. Please give me some ideas as to what model Crowns are good for home use (2-channel) that are currently available new. Or, are there other good quality amps out there (honest stuff, no boutique).
    I love my vintage stuff (electronics) but want something new (and with some balls) to run these new L112s and my other JBLs.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

I can't help with recommending any new Crown equipment as I don't have experience with them. I certainly can recommend DC 300s, used one to power my Summits, when I still had them, I thought it worked very well.

fan(s) acceptable? must be new? budget?

Crown MA-2402 would fit the bill. So would many lesser ($) units.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    fan(s) acceptable? must be new? budget?

Crown MA-2402 would fit the bill. So would many lesser ($) units.
    Fans are fine (and my friends) when indicated!

I was thinking "pro" stuff as the value for the dollar generally tends to be more real.

I know little of Crown stuff other than they are an iconic older company. I will look at your suggestion, thank you.

Do they make anything worth considering for a Grand or less? I, for the time being, I will be using primarily "off the rack" systems like the L112 for example. I want, and need ample power to get nice results, but my listening room will probably never be bigger than a traditional domestic dining or living room. Think the size of a public school classroom at best.
    Thank you again,
    Thomas

I've been using my Crown XTi 1000 as a subwoofer amp, and its sounds great. Barely gets hot to the touch, and I haven't heard the fans kick on. The built in DSP is a great feature as well, if you're looking for that type of feature.

You can generally find a good-condition PS-400 for $200 and up. I've paid as little as $100 on Epay and it's a fine amp. $200 is still a good deal and more isn't unusual for a nice one. I've seen some bring $600 and even more in its consumer version, the PowerLine series. for whatever reason. It's the modern re-make of the DC300A-II with some additional features like turn-on delay and signal LEDs. One tough amp and I like the sound in my system. If you have any problem with an older Crown, they are still worked on through a legacy arm of Crown listed on their website.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

There's a guy with (15) PS-400s on Ebay, but they seem to be bringing more than $200 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    There's a guy with (15) PS-400s on Ebay, but they seem to be bringing more than $200 these days.
    I guess I've promoted them too much?

The last three I followed on Epay went for $285, $250, and $223. The PS-200 often goes for more. :dont-know

Here's the last one sold on Ebay ($200): http://ebayitem.com/110416403427
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

He's lucky he got $200 after stating they had been damaged from a lightning strike! Lots of future problems could very well show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I am making a return, back to Solid State. Please give me some ideas as to what model Crowns are good for home use (2-channel) that are currently available new. Or, are there other good quality amps out there (honest stuff, no boutique).
    I love my vintage stuff (electronics) but want something new (and with some balls) to run these new L112s and my other JBLs.
    Thanks,
    Thomas
    www.odysseyaudio.com
    I own 5 of the stratos series amps and they are killer.
    I woudn't call them boutique but they are not cheap.
    But one listen and a look under the hood and you'll understand.
    here's a link to the application they are being used in my system:
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/stereo/511e_18.jpg
    first 30-35 watts are class A then it kicks into a/b
    I've owned a few crown amps...the hi end ones were good...
    but these amps have both balls and finesse.
    ...made in Indianapolis...not China

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    He's lucky he got $200 after stating they had been damaged from a lightning strike! Lots of future problems could very well show up.
    Forgot about that one. Probably why it wasn't on my watch list. He used the exact same language in describing his PS-200, too, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I guess I've promoted them too much?
    I don't follow them too closely, I bought a really nice one here for $325 a while back. Seems like every time I do a search, they are in the $400 range and I just skip them. Last one I saw was about that and it had the wrong knobs.

I just bought This PS-200 after reading this thread and thinking I'd like another PS-200

Smile Crown Amps

Power Line Fours usually go for a little more than PS-400s probably due to the fact that they are somewhat rarer. Not necessarily any better, but they do have the additional indicators on the front panel.

I'm with the general consensus here, hard to beat a PS-400 or even a DC300A Series II for the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Old curmudgeon View Post
    Power Line Fours usually go for a little more than PS-400s probably due to the fact that they are somewhat rarer. Not necessarily any better, but they do have the additional indicators on the front panel.
    Rare but consumer oriented. Other than some extra LEDs, they're actually lacking in features compared to the PS amps: No grounded power cords, no 1/4" jacks, and no PS-MOD adapter connection. Same basic guts though. I'll take the PS amps!

I am making a return, back to Solid State. Please give me some ideas as to what model Crowns are good for home use (2-channel) that are currently available new.
    I don't think Crown is building anything these days that is really suitable for home use. Most of their new amps are simply PA or Commercial use powerhouses. The days of their studio amps and moderately powered "high fidelity" amps seem to be over.

Or, are there other good quality amps out there (honest stuff, no boutique).
    Define boutique.

Personally I like Bryston. They back their amps with a 20 year warranty and offer excellent customer service. While their faceplates have gotten a bit frillier, they aren't spending gobs of money on CNC'd 2" thick billet aluminum like some of those boutique brands.

If you are willing to go with a second hand amp, some of the older Crowns are quite good and very reasonable, though to guarantee top performance you will want it gone over by a tech.

Widget

Thread Information