Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream or nightmare?: "jbl sessions" tracks, can we use them?

Dream or nightmare?: "jbl sessions" tracks, can we use them?

Hi dudes!

Yesterday I was looking for an app install CD and found what may or may not be a treasure for Lansingians.

I have had this for about 5 years and had not given it much thought. But right now I am.

It is a two-cd set of "SESSIONS" given to me by the Late Great Drew Daniels. It must have been made off the LP, or knowing Drew's past work, who knows what his source materals were. In respect to him, I know it is best not to hang around, gabbing about technical this and that, a practice which he did not indulge in with his studio's clients. He just worked his magic and you got an excellent recording(s).

I would like to be able to upload the tracks to a good file server outfit such as speedy share.net and/or Lansing.org, so that we can all at least hear what the great production was all about, as well as the use of JBL monitors as essential tools in big-time pro recording.

The last time I recall reading a thread re "Sesssions", it was was a ghost and no one really knew who owned the "publishing". And, no one seemed to know exactly where the physical media resides. To have it searched for demanded a steep fee.

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 06-06-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Hi dudes!

Yesterday I was looking for an app install CD and found what may or may not be a treasure for Lansingians.

I have had this for about 5 years and had not given it much thought. But right now I am.

It is a two-cd set of "SESSIONS" given to me by the Late Great Drew Daniels. It must have been made off the LP, or knowing Drew's past work, who knows what his source materals were. In respect to him, I know it is best not to hang around, gabbing about technical this and that, a practice which he did not indulge in with his studio's clients. He just worked his magic and you got an excellent recording(s).

I would like to be able to upload the tracks to a good file server outfit such as speedy share.net and/or Lansing.org, so that we can all at least hear what the great production was all about, as well as the use of JBL monitors as essential tools in big-time pro recording.

The last time I recall reading a thread re "Sesssions", it was was a ghost and no one really knew who owned the "publishing". And, no one seemed to know exactly where the physical media resides. To have it searched for demanded a steep fee.

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thanks, Richard
    Hi Richard I have the original double LP,havent played it for 30 years, the publishers were The Custom Fidelity Company

amcron, thanks for that. I believe the masters are probably at Capitol where ( I'm 99% sure... but could be wrong) it was recorded.

My first all new hifi was Acoustic Research ( receiver, XA turntable w/ Stanton 681EE cartridge, two AR-3a, two AR-5, & a Dynaco Quadaptor. I got that stuff when I was serving in the Western Pacific, USN. ca. 1971 -1974.

I was not familiar with JBL then but a friend had a pair of 4310WX which he got in Germany.

He was probably a bit upset when I played "Sessions" for him on that big, fat East-Coastish system. He considered his JBL/Marantz/Dual/Shure rig the Greatest and it could not be beat. But the AR's passed every "test" on sessions pretty damn well.

But over time the sound of his & other JBLS grew on me, and the two final straws that broke me of the Baaaston sound were hearing two 4343 monitors on a great system in a great sonic enviornment, then soon after that hearing the original pair of L166 in the JBL listening room (somewhere in Glendale while on a tour.)

That 4343 system was unbelievable and I've always considered them to be the best speakers I've heard.

I had an LP put out in the same time frame by Acoustic Research, also with state of the art recording which sounded fabulous on the JBL's. Then there was that Altec equivqlent, "sounds", also clean but best enjoyed at high SPL.

Still looking into getting "Sessions" back out to the public. Thanks for the info.

BTW, are the liner notes of Sessions in the Lansing.org archives for at
    least reading? Seems less of a legal issue than making the audio available.

R-

I have "Sessions" on a CD too (I put it there after ripping and cleanup from the vinyl) ...it's really fun occasionally , but not a daily listener. Hoyt at the end is fantastic tho.

I was on a WESTPAC tour (Yankee Station) in 71-72 .... ah, PO City, HK, Nippon.. You must have run across me ? blue shirt , blue pants, blue hat ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

If you can figure out the logistics, I'd love to score a copy. If there are no lingering rights issues, I'm more than happy to pay for the CDR and postage costs. I've heard of this compilation for decades but never heard it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

There are numerous copies of the vinyl on eBay, but no CDs. Since they were originally from '73, the CDs would need to be a rip or re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have "Sessions" on a CD too (I put it there after ripping and cleanup from the vinyl) ...it's really fun occasionally , but not a daily listener. Hoyt at the end is fantastic tho.

I was on a WESTPAC tour (Yankee Station) in 71-72 .... ah, PO City, HK, Nippon.. You must have run across me ? blue shirt , blue pants, blue hat ?
    Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember you. Zanzibar Club in Olongapo, fourth floor bar? Or was it Pauline's? Or...
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 06-08-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: TYPOS (2)

OK, I think it would be ethically and legally cool to put "SESSIONS" on this site, which I frequent:

SPEEDY SHARE

Here is their DMCA compliance boilerplate:

Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy

1. Introduction

SpeedyShare is an Online Service Provider and Information Location Tool under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. Section 512. This policy is intended to implement the procedures set forth in 17 U.S.C. Section 512 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") for the reporting of alleged copyright infringement. It is the policy of SpeedyShare to respect the legitimate rights of copyright owners, their agents, and representatives. Users of any part of the SpeedyShare computing system are required to respect the legal protections provided by applicable law.

2. Our Intention

SpeedyShare is against software piracy or any kind of copyright infringement. Unfortunately, some users don't respect our terms of service. The Internet community uses SpeedyShare to send large files which can't be attached to e-mails. This is our purpose. We apologize for any kind of misuse of our service and promise to do our best to find and terminate abusive files.

3. DMCA Policy

It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the text of which can be found at the U.S. Copyright Office), and other applicable intellectual property laws. Responses may include removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity and/or terminating subscribers. We can provide IP addresses of people uploading content claimed to be the subject of infringing activity upon request. It is our policy to document all notices of alleged infringement on which we act. As with all legal notices, a copy of the notice may be sent to one or more third parties who may make it available to the public.

4. Report abuse

To be effective, the notification of your claim of copyright infringement should be written and should include the following:

Identification of the copyrighted work you claim has been infringed. (If you claim that multiple copyrighted works have been infringed you can submit one notification with a list of the allegedly infringed works)

Identification of the material that you claim to be infringing and information reasonably sufficient to permit SpeedyShare to locate the material.

A statement that you are the owner of the exclusive right you claim has been infringed, or a statement that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that has allegedly been infringed.

A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate.

A statement you have a good-faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

Information reasonably sufficient to permit SpeedyShare to contact you, including your address, telephone number, fax number and, if available, an electronic mail address.

Your signature. (The signature may be electronic)

Speedy Share Ltd. will respond to any DMCA complaints in a timely manner.

As I am as far away from being an attorney as is possible in knowledge of the Law, and/or professional sentiment regarding the profession as considered from either side, your opinions re my last posting would be appreciated.

An Up or Down "vote" would be great.

I promise not to sue anyone, or sneak a peek at anyones' phone records. Or root through your trash cans, etc. for having cast an opinion. Honest!

If this matter can be "moved foreward"* I will be asking for info on converting the CDA files to .MP4 or .FLV as can be uploaded to their servers.

*Buzz-Phrase currently in vogue.

BTW their servers' download bit rates are the highest I've experienced on the internet. I have xfinity high speed cable as ISP.

Thanks All. Rich P.

<|>

I am up for this project and excited.
    I would ask that the files be converted to FLAC which is a universal lossless format instead of MP4 or FLV (?) format.
    WAV is comparable but the file are much larger so larger download times apply and there is no gain in using that format.
    I tend to convert my files to m4a which is an Apple lossless format, but since a lot of folks don't like iTunes FLAC is better for all.
    Besides, there are a lot of archived music in FLACs, (Grateful Dead concerts and such) and its easy to convert to m4a or other formats from there.

Thanks for the kind offer!

As I am as far away from being an attorney as is possible in knowledge of the Law, and/or professional sentiment regarding the profession as considered from either side, your opinions re my last posting would be appreciated.

An Up or Down "vote" would be great.

I promise not to sue anyone, or sneak a peek at anyones' phone records. Or root through your trash cans, etc. for having cast an opinion. Honest!

If this matter can be "moved foreward"* I will be asking for info on converting the CDA files to .MP4 or .FLV as can be uploaded to their servers.

*Buzz-Phrase currently in vogue.

BTW their servers' download bit rates are the highest I've experienced on the internet. I have xfinity high speed cable as ISP.

Thanks All. Rich P.

<|>
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've heard of this compilation for decades but never heard it.
    I'm very surprised to hear this.

How did you miss out on one of these?

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember you. Zanzibar Club in Olongapo, fourth floor bar? Or was it Pauline's? Or...
    Started at the Carrier Club (just a block past Sh1tRiver) then got brave enough to go all the way down the main drag, turn right past a few monkeys ,,,upstairs. Can't remember the name for some reason
    always joked .."If I get hurt, will probably bleed San Miguel"
    (HongKong had it too, just different color)

Took the "Victory Liner" to the US Embassy in Manilla (they even sell SM on the bus) .. now THAT was an interesting trip.

As far as "Sessions" ..I mostly only recall sweeps, studio chatter & Hoyt.

Oh yeah, ever make it to 'Da Cave ? (the club that had stalactites & stalagmites ) ... ??

(wayy OT : our boat had the only Navy Aces of the war. when Zumwalt came aboard to decorate them, I shadowed him all day with my Nikons (I was a photomate) ...even had coffee with Z up in Admirals Country, and got a handshake & "well done" when he left.)

Quote Originally Posted by Old curmudgeon View Post
    I'm very surprised to hear this.

How did you miss out on one of these?

I suppose it's because I've had the same JBLs (030) in my home for over 55-years, bought my second pair (L112) in 1981 and still have those, then never bought any more speakers until joining this forum seven-years ago. For some reason I now own something like 18 pair of JBLs . . . but still haven't heard the recording.

I quit vinyl when "Nightfly" came out on CD and never looked back. I have two dormant B&O tables and have no memory of where I left the crappy Thorens I owned in high-school and college went. Worst cuing control of any turntable I've ever seen. Couldn't let my friends ever touch it, hence the reason for the B&O 4000, my "party" turntable.

Three kids later, private-college tuition included, running my own business, and now working for a Fortune 500 company has taken its toll. My life no longer allows me the luxury of time to carefully preen my LPs, and stylus, and to walk softly across the room just to enjoy a maximum of 20-minutes of music before doing it all over again. I now push one button on the Adcom sequencer and the SC system comes to life, powering up the Ashly and the two Crowns and playing whatever's in the 5-disc changer or on the Squeezebox over the 4345s. I'm a music nut, but not a vinyl aficionado. "Sessions" on a CD does have me interested, just to hear the music.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Started at the Carrier Club (just a block past Sh1tRiver) then got brave enough to go all the way down the main drag, turn right past a few monkeys ,,,upstairs. Can't remember the name for some reason
    always joked .."If I get hurt, will probably bleed San Miguel"
    (HongKong had it too, just different color)

Took the "Victory Liner" to the US Embassy in Manilla (they even sell SM on the bus) .. now THAT was an interesting trip.

As far as "Sessions" ..I mostly only recall sweeps, studio chatter & Hoyt.

Oh yeah, ever make it to 'Da Cave ? (the club that had stalactites & stalagmites ) ... ??

(wayy OT : our boat had the only Navy Aces of the war. when Zumwalt came aboard to decorate them, I shadowed him all day with my Nikons (I was a photomate) ...even had coffee with Z up in Admirals Country, and got a handshake & "well done" when he left.)

Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?

I found the 1971-1872 cruisebook on the web for free (very rare).

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/index.html

Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left.

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm

Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck. Then in 1980 I saw him selling his book at an airshow in Madera, Ca. I walked up and said "I was on the Connie while all that was going on."

His very nearly non-reaction was like "Oh yeah, so?" Years later I started reading rumors about his misbehavior, on the internet, and sure enough:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-term-19317906

Seems he spent some years flying a mop & bucket and lawnmower in the slammer, but no medals were issued.

What an stupid, shameful waste of his opportunies and former honor. I hate when that happens.

Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left. http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm
    Whatta you know ? I was in OPS (Ships company) , spent most of my time on the flight deck in a green shirt . Didn't know about the cruise book link. Sure enough , there I am ==>> http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/093.htm (the young/handsome one)

Chess ? somewhere in the book is a black & white of me, playing chess. It's a side shot, but you can tell as I've still got my brass bracelet from Pleiku.
    LATER: I found it http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/162.htm

When RC knocked down the first MIG (January '72) I was in the ready room awaiting his return (with camera) ... despite all the sea stories, he came up on it by accident, mistaking it for an A4. My salty chief hated Zoomie, so I got the assignment to cover Z's visit (March ?)

My 2 prior war zone tours were at NSA Da Nang (security/intelligence) & Helicopter Attack* (light) 3 in the Delta (combat camera) at NAS Binh Thuy (UH1B's). Did my "A" school with the Army at DLIWC** in Monterrey.

Yup, nobody liked RC , even before he became famous. He is now regarded as the "most corrupt Congressman" ever.

Finished out my reserve time with VP-69 at NAS Whidbey.

*Helicopter Attack (light) 3 .. aka HA(L) 3 was "The Seawolves" , hence my forum & email names. The most decorated helo squadron in Navy history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicop..._(Light)_Three

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information