i need to get on some projects so that with time/practice
    i can also get away from black semi-gloss

at least the grandchild is a good shot?

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    wow, excellent work....
    i need to get on some projects so that with time/practice
    i can also get away from black semi-gloss

at least the grandchild is a good shot?
    the nice thing about veneering is that when you do it with a nice quality veneer, you tend to force yourself to do a nicer job. "It's a shame to waste such nice wood....." whereas with paint it's "I can always re-coat it...."

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    ACK!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone

Test your port tuning wards, those are very close to the wall for vents. You may find that you are getting a lot of extra output around Fb.

What's great about this is that you can then stuff the box a little more, and line or lightly stuff the ports, and ditch some of the BR ripple.
    Sorry but I have no way to test these. I tuned them by ear, so they sound like I want them to. I've been trying to get them to my audio engineering buddy at Klipsch so he can put them in their anechoic chamber and run some real tests on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    Sorry but I have no way to test these. I tuned them by ear, so they sound like I want them to. I've been trying to get them to my audio engineering buddy at Klipsch so he can put them in their anechoic chamber and run some real tests on them.
    Anechoic is going to make them appear bass- shy, most likely, but still a valuable test.

You don't have a ratshack SPL meter, or a frequency sweep CD? Some simple, inexpensive measuring tools can go a long way to making things click- there are many things that you don't notice until they're corrected. These are often perceived as "Something's off", and the measurements help pin this down.

Beautiful work. I tend to focus somewhat on potential problems, but that's just because I am interested to see that you get all you can out of a time consuming, expensive build.

6 year old grandchild... I take it you're retired? I've been impressed by your work for years, if you have kids out of the house and are on permvacation, that makes a lot more sense that you'd have the time to do the lovely finishing work you do. For whatever reason (perhaps the web stuff you do) I had the impression of you as a early 30s type of guy.

Anechoic is going to make them appear bass- shy, most likely, but still a valuable test.

You don't have a ratshack SPL meter, or a frequency sweep CD? Some simple, inexpensive measuring tools can go a long way to making things click- there are many things that you don't notice until they're corrected. These are often perceived as "Something's off", and the measurements help pin this down.

Beautiful work. I tend to focus somewhat on potential problems, but that's just because I am interested to see that you get all you can out of a time consuming, expensive build.

6 year old grandchild... I take it you're retired? I've been impressed by your work for years, if you have kids out of the house and are on permvacation, that makes a lot more sense that you'd have the time to do the lovely finishing work you do. For whatever reason (perhaps the web stuff you do) I had the impression of you as a early 30s type of guy.
    I need to pickup some tools to help better dial these in then.

I am 51, so a few years before I can retire. The grandchild is from my wife's son from her first marriage. I have always looked younger than my years and obessive is my nature. Here is a pic taken about 6 months ago as I was headed out for a run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, impressive babyface, I'd have pegged you a decade younger.

Love your work, keep it up! But, I strongly STRONGLY suggest you acquire some basic measurement tools. A behringer DEQ2496 and mic can be had for <$400, and that gives you at least RTA functionality (which used correctly and interpreted right can be pretty powerful, it's what I use for most measures as I can do on-the-fly polars and refine the XO very rapidly). I know you're more of a guy who likes to do the build "to the 9s" and leave the theory for others, but some basic measures sure do make setup easier, and allow a level of refinement that's very difficult to achieve without them.

I'll give an example. I'd struggled with a pair of open baffles. They were excellent, went deep and were very clean, but the 12" to 3" crossover was a bear. Both were well-behaved drivers, but attempts to meld them took some doing. Without measurements, I'd never have been able to confirm that a trick I tried worked- specifically, use of absorbtion to form a pole on the woofer. Since the woofer's inductance (and thus phase shift) was active while it was still flat, adding more electrical poles for linear summation created textbook frequency response filters but not phase response.

Without the measurement, I'd have had a tough time controlling the filter acoustically, whereas with measures, I was able to get the crossover down to a high-pass cap for the midtweeter, a notch filter, and a little felt on a grille in front of the woofer, with excellent electrical and acoustic behavior.

Stunning looking speakers that you've got there, Wardsweb,

Since I really like the "neo-medieval" look of 511 horns / I would make those 3/4 length speaker grills ( as wifey suggests ) . But that's just me .

<> cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, impressive babyface, I'd have pegged you a decade younger.

Love your work, keep it up! But, I strongly STRONGLY suggest you acquire some basic measurement tools. A behringer DEQ2496 and mic can be had for <$400, and that gives you at least RTA functionality (which used correctly and interpreted right can be pretty powerful, it's what I use for most measures as I can do on-the-fly polars and refine the XO very rapidly). I know you're more of a guy who likes to do the build "to the 9s" and leave the theory for others, but some basic measures sure do make setup easier, and allow a level of refinement that's very difficult to achieve without them.
    ZZounds has them for $300 including shipping, so looks good. I'm afraid it will be a while before it would make sense to me. Great tools are only part of the picture. Once you have the data you have to know what it means and what do with it. As you said, I have left theory to others. One, because I'm more of a hands on guy and two, with no formal training someone would need to explain it to me. I am an anomaly. Give me a schematic and I'll build a wicked amp or fix what's broke, but ask me to explain the time coefficient and I'm lost. Not that I don't want to learn, just haven't ever had a mentor to help. Are you for hire?

Super.

Have to agree with Earl, on both counts btw, congratulations. To build up a piano glossy finish is quite difficult, hence seldom attempted here, and you were up to the task – they turned out gorgeous.

Certainly candidates for the "Project of the Year" award at LH.

mcds
    Candidates? Dead certs.

ZZounds has them for $300 including shipping, so looks good. I'm afraid it will be a while before it would make sense to me. Great tools are only part of the picture. Once you have the data you have to know what it means and what do with it. As you said, I have left theory to others. One, because I'm more of a hands on guy and two, with no formal training someone would need to explain it to me. I am an anomaly. Give me a schematic and I'll build a wicked amp or fix what's broke, but ask me to explain the time coefficient and I'm lost. Not that I don't want to learn, just haven't ever had a mentor to help. Are you for hire?
    While I've done my share of custom work and consulting, I don't wish to pursue that relationship here, though I think you're just being silly and friendly. However, I'd be more than happy to help you with whatever I can, including getting the DEQ up and running for basic measurements. The one in particular we're concerned with here is extremely easy to perform. Basically, you'd be testing for an in-room spike at around 40Hz using pink noise. The DEQ generates the test tone, feeds it through the system, and picks it up via the mic to display on-screen.

Let me know if you're interested in pursuing this. Heck, I have a 8024 (the older version) and extra mic, so if you want to get in "on the cheap" I'm sure we could work something out.

I really need to figure a way to spend a week or two in Texas, I have many friends and enemies I need to visit there.

Widget - thought you might like to see the back of these. I filled in the original terminal block and moved it to a steel panel I added to hold the L-pads for the horns.

Widget - thought you might like to see the back of these.
    It's a shame to put that up against a wall.

Widget

... seriously.

They really look awesome from any angle

Thread Information