Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

Sweet Tubes!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...

Attachment 54188
    Hey Heather those are some really sweet tubes! I think you made a great choice of amps. I really like the tone on those 6BQ5's. That unit must put out 12-16 watts or so which is plenty for a 6BQ5 amp....looks like a fair amount of iron there also so it probably has really smooth bass response(not so flabby)..... I think the more you listen, the more you will like.

I have been goofing around with tubes for the last year or so. I have ben customizing these little Magnavox 6BQ5 SE(4-5 watts) and 6V6 PP(8-10 watts) amps that come out of the old Maggie consoles... I really dig the sound on these with my Altec Carmels and 605A's(in 4ft cabs).... with my vintage Jazz, Classical or vocal stuff they really sound fabulous.

I also ran across a Dynaco ST-70 with original Mullard tubes at an estate sale... man this thing sounds real nice. The sound stage is more complete than the little 4 watt Maggies, and there is plenty of power for bass response. It is comparable to my McIntosh MC240. The Dynaco sounds best with the 605A's. I have yet to try these with my JBL's. I am considering moving my 4333a's into this room for a few days and try them out with each of these different amps.

Here is a couple of pics of a few of the little Magnavox amps I have done. I buy these off EBay for about $125 and then replace the signal caps, and any bad/out of spec resistors, add a power switch, fuse, indicator light, and a few cosmetics(complete with a vintage Magnavox logo) and were cookin..... scuse the dust please...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Had some issues with the tube amp so it went back to builder for tweaks (and a refund - he's a very nice guy to deal with!).

In the meantime, DC listening party buddy Wilfredo has loaned me his JoLida JS 101 integrated amp for a while, so we've really been enjoying that.
    It sounds very nice except for 1 small flaw ... not quite enough power.
    Its not his fault - the amp is rated 15w/channel - but it would be nice to have a bit more headroom.
    And any real significant headroom means a major jump in numbers .. not to 30 watts but more like 60 watts. In tube gear that's quite pricey.

Of course, I have the Carver 6250 receiver (speced at 125 or so w/ch) .
    And I recently swapped out that HK changer for my older (non-BRay) Oppo DV-981HD - read an article on how to force it to stereo mode for SACD and such,
    and its a great no-cost upgrade to that system.

So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be an interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver
    but gain the tube effect to "smooth" some of the digital signals I use so much. (CDs and iTunes-Apple Lossless/Airtunes)
    I'd read about the Grant Fidelity gear over at AudioKarma recently, so when I saw one of the B-283 buffers in the local CL,
    I thought it would at least be worth a listen.

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...
    its definitely a pleasant affect on the sound stream.

I've got some kind of flu bug right now, but Emma agreed it was a good improvement, so we bought it.

Apparently its one of the first versions of this device later once have an aluminum billet faceplate -
    this is polished plexiglass backlit with the iconic blue LED.

Name:  GF-Oppo_5718.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  70.6 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be n interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver
    but gain the tube effect to "smooth" some of the digital signals I use so much. (CDs and iTunes-Apple Lossless/Airtunes)
    I'd read about the Grant Fidelity gear over at AudioKarma recently, so when I saw one of the B-283 buffers in the local CL,

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...definitely a please affect on the sound stream.

Name:  GF-Oppo_5718.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  70.6 KB
    Hi Heather,

I just got the Grant Fidelity 283-B too, mine is a slightly different model. I was perusing Grant's page yesterday at AudioKarma and saw your post. Glad to see that you tried it and liked it! I was pretty floored with the sound of it. Like you said it's just so pleasing. I too like that I can keep the power of the amp while getting the tube sound. It has however made me wonder what a tube amp and or pre-amp would be like so I am looking to explore finding that out. What are your impressions of it compared to your JoLida tube amp?

So - I'd heard about tube buffers, thought it might be an interesting concept. Keep my higher powered receiver
    but gain the tube effect to "smooth" some of the digital signals I use so much
    . (CDs and iTunes-Apple Lossless/Airtunes)

Guy brought it over this morning and I dropped it in the tape loop of the Carver ...
    its definitely a pleasant affect on the sound stream.
    That seems like a nice alternative Looks like a cool little unit.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    What are your impressions of it compared to your JoLida tube amp?
    I'd be interested in that as well.
    Just Play Music.

This is apparently part of the very first run of these processors, later versions had a billet block front panel,
    and they now have an additional MkII model that uses 6SN7 tubes instead of the smaller 6J1 tubes of the earlier model.

However - I'm still suffering through the head cold/flu bug that kept me home from work Friday ...
    The seller actually brought it to us for the demo - so we tried it with my L200 based 3 ways and the Carver 6250 receiver.
    I thought I heard an improvement, but wasn't sure with my head cold
    - Emma listened and confirmed an improved sound yesterday, so we decided to buy it - though it is a subtle change.

Anyway ... I'm still pretty stuffed up, tho it does seems to be easing finally ...

I'll have to give better specifics once my head and ears clear - hopefully by Tuesday.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Anyway ... I'm still pretty stuffed up, tho it does seems to be easing finally ...

I'll have to give better specifics once my head and ears clear - hopefully by Tuesday.
    Okily Dokily!
    Gotta say, that was a very nice gesture for the seller to bring it over for a demo, cant beat that.

Feel Better!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Okily Dokily!
    Gotta say, that was a very nice gesture for the seller to bring it over for a demo, cant beat that.

Feel Better!

Thanks - def trying to blow this flu out!
    had it a couple days - Bored now!

Anyway, this is twice now folks have offered to do that.
    The time first was actually the seller of the Carver 6250 Receiver - maybe 2 1/2 years ago
    He and his wife came by and chatted a bit as we set it all up and gave a listen.

I know I try and feel folks out a bit before I give them directions to our place when I am selling something -
    keep the glock out of sight but at hand
    I'm sure some of them feel the same about us buyers of old gear (grin) ...

the old glock and spiel scenario, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    There goes the well known gun ... yep!

As Mr Wizzard said - don't trust those goo-goo-googley eyes ...
    I figure you are responsible for your own privacy & security,

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    And there I thought you were referring to her cold & some tissues (hacking & the forthcoming "shpiel"), I'm too naive

You're right Heather, "one never knows, do one?" (what was that from, some '70s commercial I think).
    Just Play Music.

Correction it is the 283-B, I had it backwards. The name is the same, but the unit looks a bit different. I read the difference between the new and old model somewhere; can't remember.

The sound difference is both subtle and obvious all at the same time. It's a little hard to explain. But what it does for my system is tame and smooth the sometimes shrill T3. Vocals don't scream at you now, they sing. The bass seems to be a little fuller, not that it needed improvement. The music sounds wider, and more enveloping, more musical. I am considering their MKII model. As far as tubes go, this stuff is inexpensive! The 240ti's don't work with it as well, they sound a little lisp-y, in comparison, but then; I'm always a little critical of them.

Name:  tube.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  3.6 KB

Thats an elegant little unit pathfindermwd
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    Correction it is the 283-B, I had it backwards. The name is the same, but the unit looks a bit different. I read the difference between the new and old model somewhere; can't remember.

The sound difference is both subtle and obvious all at the same time. It's a little hard to explain. But what it does for my system is tame and smooth the sometimes shrill T3. Vocals don't scream at you now, they sing. The bass seems to be a little fuller, not that it needed improvement. The music sounds wider, and more enveloping, more musical. I am considering their MKII model. As far as tubes go, this stuff is inexpensive! The 240ti's don't work with it as well, they sound a little lisp-y, in comparison, but then; I'm always a little critical of them.

Well, once all the stuffiness is out of my ears and head I'm hoping it will be more obvious ...

So yours is -B but yours has the little cage around the tubes and uses the 6J1 tubes like mine does ...
    so it will take the optional 6AK5W (like Patel put in the one I bought) ...

I found a pair of RCA 6SN7GTAs in of my old tube "junk box" & had them ready to go,
    but when mine got here I found those are for the MK II units
    (didn't know there was a difference before I saw it).

But I'm still thinking about buying that loaner JoLida I had on the system -
    it did sound very nice ...

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Well, once all the stuffiness is out of my ears and head I'm hoping it will be more obvious ...

So yours is -B but yours has the little cage around the tubes and uses the 6J1 tubes like mine does ...
    so it will take the optional 6AK5W (like Patel put in the one I bought) ...

I found a pair of RCA 6SN7GTAs in of my old tube "junk box" & had them ready to go,
    but when mine got here I found those are for the MK II units
    (didn't know there was a difference before I saw it).

But I'm still thinking about buying that loaner JoLida I had on the system -
    it did sound very nice ...
    Heather, this thread is a testament to that saying.A couple of things to consider. The quality of the iron(power/output trannies) and the tubes. Dynacos were considered excellent.Certain tubes sound best in certain amps. Dynaco went almost exclusively with Mullard during their early to mid lifetime and buyers pay a bit more for those amps installed with original working Mullards. Mullard made a 12ax7,12au7,EL34,EL84.KT66/88 and many others. Even within the Mullard family there were different constructions of tubes such as short and long plates, round and square getters, codes like mC1's, F91/92's,K61's, XF1/2/3/4 etc. Those made at the Blackburn, England plant are coveted.Telefunken has it's smooth and ribbed plates. U.S. tubes like TungSol, RCA and GE all had high quality tubes in certain 'make/models' that are highly sought after as well.All had a unique sound signature that makes tube 'rolling' a common audio activity. There is a different world out there concerning this hobby. I buy and sell tubes to people all over the world who are looking for a certain sound. Enjoy the trip.
    Last edited by Hey19; 02-06-2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: sp

Well, I got the refund for the Stromberg C amp yesterday and, after discussion with Emma,
    we both agree the Jolida SJ-101 has the most enjoyable sound we've heard with the L200 3 way system.

So I've agreed to buy it from Wilfredo (local audio listening buddy) and put it in place.
    I haven't found much online about that amp - its an early Jolida model, apparently, but there isn't much.
    I pulled the tube cage last night and had a look at the existing tubes.

2x 12AT7 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)
    4x EL84 Electro Harmonix (made in Russia)

They may be the original tubes it came with ... I have a quad set of replacement output tubes I can try later,
    but I'll have to see what's possible with that first pair of tubes ...

Thread Information