Thread: New Guy, in need of advice

ougeta

New Guy, in need of advice

Hello all,
    Thank God i have stumbled onto this forum... like i said i am in need of some advice.
    Not to boast but my brother works for a division of jbl/hk so he gets discounts on all home audio things for infinity , jbl, hk.... so I am trying to peice together a syatem....
    So to start I currently am running and onkyo ds-ts 797 receiver that i bought years ago ( saved awhile) so I think that would be sufficient to power something that i might buy.

OK now to some speakers....
    the discount is truly unreal for some fo there products.... ex. the jbl pc600 retails for $1700 a peice, i can get them for a lil under 300 same with the pt...
    but seeing how i am in school i really don't want to be spending that much.. even though it is extreamly low...

So for my first question how much better are the performane series speakers than the l series (pc600 vs LC2)?

The system that I peiced together right now, is as follows:
    Center: LC2
    Fronts: L820
    Rears: Venue Balcony
    Sub: L8400p

now with this system I put a cheaper set of rears just to cut back on the cost a little.... do you think it would make a big difference.... i did this because i know how the center channel and the fronts are said to be the most important of the system....

Also one last question... i was looking at the L series floor standing speaker , like th L890, do you think it would be much more benficial to buy those over the L820 that I picked out originally?

Well, sorry about the long topic...just really need some advice that i have been trying to search all over the net, but can't find. Thanks

This is just me, and I am an assh*le but I would sell all that stuff and buy a set of L-100s and a nice vintage amp.

Just saying........

Quote Originally Posted by ougeta View Post
    Hello all,
    Thank God i have stumbled onto this forum... like i said i am in need of some advice.
    Not to boast but my brother works for a division of jbl/hk so he gets discounts on all home audio things for infinity , jbl, hk.... so I am trying to peice together a syatem....
    So to start I currently am running and onkyo ds-ts 797 receiver that i bought years ago ( saved awhile) so I think that would be sufficient to power something that i might buy.

OK now to some speakers....
    the discount is truly unreal for some fo there products.... ex. the jbl pc600 retails for $1700 a peice, i can get them for a lil under 300 same with the pt...
    but seeing how i am in school i really don't want to be spending that much.. even though it is extreamly low...

So for my first question how much better are the performane series speakers than the l series (pc600 vs LC2)?

The system that I peiced together right now, is as follows:
    Center: LC2
    Fronts: L820
    Rears: Venue Balcony
    Sub: L8400p

now with this system I put a cheaper set of rears just to cut back on the cost a little.... do you think it would make a big difference.... i did this because i know how the center channel and the fronts are said to be the most important of the system....

Also one last question... i was looking at the L series floor standing speaker , like th L890, do you think it would be much more benficial to buy those over the L820 that I picked out originally?

Well, sorry about the long topic...just really need some advice that i have been trying to search all over the net, but can't find. Thanks
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Hello, ougeta. Welcome aboard!
    I haven't heard any of the systems you mention, so I can't help you in that regard. However, I can tell you, as other members here would, too, that nobody can tell you what sounds good to your ears. Having said that, I see that you're intent on getting a full home theater surround setup, which I can understand. My suggestion, though, would be: Get the best front speakers for a 2ch set-up that you can afford to spend for the time being. But definitely listen first before you buy! Good luck!

Thread Information