Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Vs. Crown..The China Syndrome !

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    new slogan......."Ch1na made is a last resort"
    I agree. Though it's getting more difficult every time I make a plumbing repair on this old house to find anything NOT from China.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi, BMWCC,

Well, here's the sad proof that my Ashly was not made in the US. I wondered why the seller, a very reputable company, which was recommended to me by friends on this forum, was so willing to discount my XR-4001, and once I got it, I knew why.

As I'm still trying to get a day when I can completely unplug every piece from my setup, to track down a nasty hum, I have not tried to use the Ashly more than when I first tried to get it hooked up. At that time, personally, I thought my old Crown VFX-2A crossover sounded more full and less compressed than the 4001. We'll see how it all turns out in the end, though. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Here's the proof that my Ashly, and very possibly ALL current Ashly crossovers, was made in China:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Well, here's the sad proof that my Ashly was not made in the US. I wondered by the seller, a very reputable company, which was recommended to me by friends on this forum, was so willing to discount my XR-4001, and once I got it, I knew why.
    Hey Doc,
    I don't think you have a choice anymore. As best I can tell, the units with the dash in the model numbers are made in China and are the newest, and only ones available new. Your XR-4001 is made in China. My XR1001 is made in NY. The faceplate and logo are different, too. I can't say one is better than the other but it's a sad reality, regardless.

My hum turned out to be simply a loose contact in the 1/4" input on the D150A-II. Never a problem before when I was using RCA-to-1/4" adapters but the new cables I bought with RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other don't fit as tight. The cables are made in USA, I can't be sure they're using USA-made fittings though! Wiggling the male plug in the jack killed the hum. Just not making a good enough contact at the sleeve. I went back to my old cables and it went away. Someday I'll go inside and tighten the contact. Someday.

I have two VFX2-As I bought to bi-amp my 030s to get rid of the N2400s. Thanks SteveH! Just haven't yet gotten around to it. Someday...
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Evening, BMWCC,

Yep, I thought it would be as you say. I missed the "made in USA" boat, I fear, with my Ashly. Oh, well.... When I get time to figure out why my system is creating a humming noise, I'll hook up the Ashly again, and continue on my project to add in the 4645 sub with 2242H woofer. Plus, once that 4-way electronic gizmo is working as it should, I can play with the other projects that have been shuffled to the back burner, too.

In any case, what I have, is what I have, and no use crying over spilled milk, eh?! Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I've been buying goods from communist China for many years.

A lot of this stuff is real garbage and other stuff is quite good. I have 3 Crown 802s that are essembled in China. I'm not sure where the components are made but the quality seems very good.

Unfortunately, a couple of diaphragms for compression drivers that I have used are garbage. I assume these were made in communist China but it is only an educated guess.

Unfortunately, buyer beware is the call of the day.

mebbe its different for tools ? naw...

Its really difficult to throw an accurate blanket statement over Made in China products........I was in Harbor Freight the other day and the uneveness of the quality is boggeling...

Some products are outright crap and wont last until you are out the door....others ? well, some seem to be OK , but anything with an electric motor is suspect in my book ( I just destroyed a "Chicago Electric" orange grinder) ...the NiCads are mostly subpar as are tools made of steel , but the ............Oh Hell , my exclusions ruled out most of the store

well,,,their blue tarps.........Naw
    their saws ....naw again

Help me guys, I cant remember what is good at HF ...... just cheap and disposable I guess ...thats what modern America wants ?

(I have US made handsaws from the 30's that are still sharp )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Help me guys, I cant remember what is good at HF ...... just cheap and disposable I guess ...thats what modern America wants ?
    Almost all of my BMWs have been lowered. About the only jack that fits under them now is my HF aluminum "racing" jack. Now there are some really nice USA models costing from $600-up. I don't expect a lot from my $50 (with discount coupon) HF aluminum jack but it works, hasn't broken in over four years of use, and it's light. Of course the hydraulics aren't as good as those costing ten-times as much but then I'm still strong enough to get my nearly-4,000-lb. sedan off the ground with it. I also used their punch set I bought years ago, and never used, to punch a new hole in my belt to accommodate my new, more svelte girth. Worked great. But no guesses as to how many times it will still work great, or whether I could even make one pan gasket with it before it dulled. Then I think the entire set may have only cost five-bucks.

But the jack is righteous!

I've had 2 nearly identical TREK bikes ....a 2007 model from Ch1na & a 1996 USA produced one....

Got the Ch1na one first and regretted my decision...the grip shifters were terrible, the welds amateurish , accessories falling apart or wearing prematurely...
    yup
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Almost all of my BMWs have been lowered. About the only jack that fits under them now is my HF aluminum "racing" jack.
    I have been using the smaller size aluminum HF jack for the past 5 years. It never leaked and only failed once when used under freezing conditions. It is my compact track jack and love it. I never felt the need to buy a $600 jack when my $75 unit works fine. Jack is being used on my 2800lb BMW M3 and 1900lbs BMW 2002. Never missed a beat. I've had worst "made in the USA" tools

Name:  Image5.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  64.4 KB

this article is about food, but the premise translates to everything:

Avoiding Chinese food products nearly impossible

"I thought, you know, it would be fun just to see if we could go a whole year ... without China," she said. "It certainly took over our whole life. It became an all-consuming project."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayof...cts/index.html

on a related note ...I stopped at a garage sale last week and there was a whole table of hand tools , looked like 30's/40's/50's vintage ..USA made....after years of use they were straight , aligned and working well .... the quality was better than anything that I can buy NEW in 2011.

prices weren't marked, so I asked .... "Oh those are OLD ..so only 3/$1" .....I filled my bike bag to the top and smiled all the way home.

I still smile when just holding one...the craftsmanship is almost overwhelming....

Anything you can buy new where?
    Snap-On hand tools are still made in Kenosha Wissconsin and are still absolutely top shelf, I make my living with them, and what's left of my brain.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    I still smile when just holding one...the craftsmanship is almost overwhelming....
    Yeah but that's non-sustainable in a greed oriented capitalistic society reliant on ever expanding markets. Ideally, the tools (manufactured by slave labor) should spontaneously evaporate after one use so you have to buy another one the next time you need one.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Anything you can buy new where?
    Snap-On hand tools are still made in Kenosha Wissconsin and are still absolutely top shelf, I make my living with them, and what's left of my brain.
    I make my living with those too. Much nicer to work on my amps and JBL's with Snap On!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    I make my living with those too. Much nicer to work on my amps and JBL's with Snap On!
    Is Snap-on available to the general public ?? the one time I looked , was for business only ?

Is Snap-on available to the general public ?? the one time I looked , was for business only ?
    Never been for business only, it's just that they cater to automotive repair shops for their primary business. All you need to do is find a Snap On dealer parked at a shop and he'll be very happy to sell to you.
    They have a web site now as well. http://www.snapon.com/

Thread Information