Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4315 woofer, please help

An update

Just managed to take off both tweeter 2405 and have an Ohm test, the readings are 6.5 vs 6.1, and the 6.1 is the one with less brighter.

What shall I do now ? Does it mean I need to replace the Diaphragm D16R2405, one or both ?

Thank you once again

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy751 View Post
    An update

Just managed to take off both tweeter 2405 and have an Ohm test, the readings are 6.5 vs 6.1, and the 6.1 is the one with less brighter.

What shall I do now ? Does it mean I need to replace the Diaphragm D16R2405, one or both ?

Thank you once again
    Mate i don't think a variance of 0.4ohms would be that audible.

I would be more inclined to check the all the pots under the foilcal. They are notorious for failing and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was the culprit. You are better off with fixed resistors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Mate i don't think a variance of 0.4ohms would be that audible.

I would be more inclined to check the all the pots under the foilcal. They are notorious for failing and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was the culprit. You are better off with fixed resistors anyway.

Thank you for your response, what do you mean of "Foilcal" ?

Thank you for your response, what do you mean of "Foilcal" ?

ok I have rechecked all the connections, seems they are ok

Foilcal is a contraction of foil decal, or the main label on the front baffle with space and markings for the controls. The foilcal is made of a screen plated aluminium foil and that is glued onto the baffle. Unfortunately, it also covers the screws that hold the driver controls board - you would need to get those controls out so they could be sprayed with DeOxit contact cleaner and worked to clean the internal contacts.

The foilcal takes patience, heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, patience, a very flat Implement like a wide scraper or putty blade, patience, and gentle lifting of the foilcal to avoid bends and crease in the foil. This is so you can reuse it in the future, otherwise it costs around $60 per foical to get aftermarket reproductions from the U.S.

if cleaning the controls makes no difference, then the only other option is to have the offending unit inspected and if needed, adjusted (re-center the diaphragm) and see if output improves. This should only be done by someone experienced or authorized by JBL Service to do so. In Addition, even if original, the diaphragms are made of aluminum and can fatigue and crack and eventually fail, then needing replacement with a known good and genuine JBL diaphragm.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Foilcal is a contraction of foil decal, or the main label on the front baffle with space and markings for the controls. The foilcal is made of a screen plated aluminium foil and that is glued onto the baffle. Unfortunately, it also covers the screws that hold the driver controls board - you would need to get those controls out so they could be sprayed with DeOxit contact cleaner and worked to clean the internal contacts.

The foilcal takes patience, heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, patience, a very flat Implement like a wide scraper or putty blade, patience, and gentle lifting of the foilcal to avoid bends and crease in the foil. This is so you can reuse it in the future, otherwise it costs around $60 per foical to get aftermarket reproductions from the U.S.

if cleaning the controls makes no difference, then the only other option is to have the offending unit inspected and if needed, adjusted (re-center the diaphragm) and see if output improves. This should only be done by someone experienced or authorized by JBL Service to do so. In Addition, even if original, the diaphragms are made of aluminum and can fatigue and crack and eventually fail, then needing replacement with a known good and genuine JBL diaphragm.
    oh I see. Thank you so much

really appreciated for your information

oh I see. Thank you so much

really appreciated for your information
    Could be a problem with the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Could be a problem with the crossover.
    Thank you, You are right, I swapped the tweeters with each other, and turn out a issue caused by the crossover

L Channel R Channel Difference
    Tweeter with 6.1 OHM Tweeter with 6.5 OHM R is much brighter than L (obvious)

Tweeter with 6.5 OHM Tweeter with 6.1 OHM R is a bit brighter than L

So, what can I do now ?

Thank you, You are right, I swapped the tweeters with each other, and turn out a issue caused by the crossover

L Channel R Channel Difference
    Tweeter with 6.1 OHM Tweeter with 6.5 OHM R is much brighter than L (obvious)

Tweeter with 6.5 OHM Tweeter with 6.1 OHM R is a bit brighter than L

So, what can I do now ?
    Looks like there's a couple of 1.5uf electrolytic caps on the HF part of the crossover. I would replace them in both crossovers. It's probably a good idea to replace all the electrolytics. I don't believe that difference in DCR of the 2405s is anywhere near audible btw. You can have that much variation just by the way the probe of your dvm touches the speaker contact.

Thank you,

To be honest, I feel a bit tired to deal with this pair of 4315, as it caused few issues, from delayed shipment, 2203A / 2405 issues, also just received a new order of a pair of JBL plates, I was ordered for "4315" and they turn out to be "4350"

Listen to music really can't take in too serious, I think I may left these issues as they are ... rather spending more time on listening music

Name:  17103469_10155273987878109_3306183640924909576_n.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  53.0 KB
    Thank you,

To be honest, I feel a bit tired to deal with this pair of 4315, as it caused few issues, from delayed shipment, 2203A / 2405 issues, also just received a new order of a pair of JBL plates, I was ordered for "4315" and they turn out to be "4350"

Listen to music really can't take in too serious, I think I may left these issues as they are ... rather spending more time on listening music

Name:  17103469_10155273987878109_3306183640924909576_n.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  53.0 KB
    Cosmetic issues are less important. But if they don't function as they should, it's like a constant drip or pebble in your shoe. Just leave it for a while til you get the inclination.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Cosmetic issues are less important. But if they don't function as they should, it's like a constant drip or pebble in your shoe. Just leave it for a while til you get the inclination.

well said .. thank you

let see ...

Glad you got the speakers working

Hello all,
    I have bought recently a pair of JBL4315 from eBay, the speakers arrived yesterday, however, one of the woofer 2203A has a problem with no sound.

I took it out and swapped with the another 4315 woofer, which has no problem, meaning the crossover of the speakers are normal.

I used a multi meter to test the impedance of the woofer, and the reading is normal, however, when I use a 9w battery, it has a static sound but the cone does not pop in/out as the another one.

Now my questions :

1. Can this woofer be repaired e.g. by reconing ? As people said it can, but how about it is not the wire of the cone blow up?

2. Is there any replacement of this 2203A (some said 2202H can fit), I do not mind to replace both woofers at the same time, even sound quality is not as good as the original

Thank you
    Nice looking pair. Enjoy
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nice looking pair. Enjoy

Thank you so much

Thread Information