Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual JBL 18 inch subs

Dual JBL 18 inch subs

I do home HiFi, but have a friend picking my brain for subs to use in his new club's dance floor. Whatever cheapo 18 inch subs were purchased just dont get it bass wise, and they are disappointed. I told him that JBL was the likely way to go and they are all ears. I see Parts Express and others carry the 2245H, I can remember reading posts here that seem to prefer the 2242H to it, but I never dug into it.

My guess is that these will see some abuse, so any suggestions as to these drivers, or other available drivers from JBL that are similarly priced, box size and tuning would be greatly appreciated, with an eye towards dependability. I dont think he needs anything tricky, just hard slammin bass. I recall an article that had the JBL 380 info as well as an 18 inch version, but havent located that yet. plus, I think they want two dual 18 inch boxes, unless someone feels that's over kill for a dance floor and two boxes with single 18 inches would do?

I am not familiar with JBL's newer drivers, so I am all ears here, thank you for any advice I could use in constructing him a pair of subs. Thanks!

Russellc

ask Mr. Fitlin ...

There's plenty of pro audio options in the 18" sub class, any of which could do the job. The bigger question is room volume and sub placement, power, etc. If it's a big room and placement is not optimal, it won't matter what you put in there. Likewise it will sound very different when the room is empty vs full of bodies.

For a club go with the 2242

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

For nightclub use, the 2242 all the way. You might really also look very seriously at some type of horn loading for them, as well. Just ported direct radiators alone, you will need MANY 18,s, and TONS of power.

Then, horn loading also offers a particular tonality you just cant get from direct radiation alone, THAT KICK, and dance music on a dance floor MUST have that kick to make the music propulsive. Dance music IS beat driven, you know!

The 2245 for a dance club is definitely NOT the woofer of choice.

If you have some specific questions, fire away, I will help to the best of my knowledge.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    I think they want two dual 18 inch boxes, unless someone feels that's over kill for a dance floor and two boxes with single 18 inches would do?

Russellc
    What is the rest of the system comprised of? If it is a large system, two dual 18in direct radiating ported subs are NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH!
    scottyj

Question

Agreement here on the 2242 as the probable driver of choice, but some bigger questions remain:

1. How big is the club in cubic feet?
    2. What is the output capability (SPL) of the rest of the system?
    3. How low does the rest of the system go (in Hz)?
    4. Where are the locations for sub placement?
    5. How many people will the club hold?
    Out.

I see Parts Express and others carry the 2245H,
    Got a link? I was thinking the 2245H had been discontinued some time ago.

I see a 2241H and a 2242H, but I'm not seeing a 2245H.

Hmmm - what part of "Use a 2242 and not a 2245" written by the posters in the previous messages were you unable to read?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I see a 2241H and a 2242H, but I'm not seeing a 2245H.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    For nightclub use, the 2242 all the way.
    The 2245 for a dance club is definitely NOT the woofer of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    For a club go with the 2242 Rob
    Please note - I was quoting 3 knowledgeable members here who're trying to answer your original questions about a dance club sub.

Quoting your own post 3 times isn't equivalent nor significant - just redundant
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Hmmm - what part of "Use a 2242 and not a 2245" the posters in the previous messages wrote were you unable to read?
    I read fine.

What part of "I see Parts Express and others carry the 2245H" threw you off the track?

I read where the 2242 was the preferred sub, that wasn't part of my original inquiry as to where 2245H could be found at Parts Express and others.

LOL. ETA:

Seemed like your initial post asked the relevant question

"have a friend picking my brain for subs to use in his new club's dance floor. Whatever cheapo 18 inch subs were purchased just dont get it bass wise, and they are disappointed. I told him that JBL was the likely way to go and they are all ears. I see Parts Express and others carry the 2245H, I can remember reading posts here that seem to prefer the 2242H to it, but I never dug into it. "

"I am not familiar with JBL's newer drivers, so I am all ears here, thank you for any advice I could use in constructing him a pair of subs. Thanks!"

And the folks with knowledge confirmed that 2242 is preferred for club use in subs compared to the 2245 - so - why keep looking for 2245s?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Seemed like your initial post asked the relevant question

"I am not familiar with JBL's newer drivers, so I am all ears here, thank you for any advice I could use in constructing him a pair of subs. Thanks!"

And the folks with knowledge confirmed that 2242 is preferred for club use to the 2245 -
    I don't deny that the 2242 has risen to the top of the list as the sub for dance club use.

In the OP you can read where he says

I am not setting up a dance club, but I'm interested in places that carry the 2245H.

Clear?

ETA:

Read post #8.

For whatever reason anyone is looking for the 2245H, to the best of my knowledge that model HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED for some time, already! Parts are available to repair existing cores, but that is about it.

scottyj

Thread Information