Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Altec Model 19 - replacement of 802 with TAD 2001 compression driver

Hello,

The Altec horn rings like a bell, it might force its sound to any driver you install on it.
    The TAD deserves a better horn, and can be crossed at 800, even 600, where it will shine.

Don--all you need are the three jumpers to connect the four ground lugs to each other. They are theoretically already connected but it's a mechanical connection--soldering in the three wires to connect the four ground lugs gives you a much better connection which is especially important due to the age of the crossovers and possible oxidation of the ground lugs interfering with their mechanical connection. I've done this modification to my Model 19's and also replaced all the original capacitors with Solen Fast Caps and the difference is astounding. Cleaner, clearer, more detailed overall sound---better bass and the h.f. now appears to roll off at a higher frequency. I also gave the pots a thorough cleaning. They sound amazing since I've done these mods.....

Quote Originally Posted by jf65 View Post
    Hello,

The Altec horn rings like a bell, it might force its sound to any driver you install on it.
    The TAD deserves a better horn, and can be crossed at 800, even 600, where it will shine.
    It doesn't ring that much ! And if you reinstall the foams that came with the 19's they touch the outer part (Front) of the bell in two places, it is a moot point after that,like this ! No more ring !

"James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    It doesn't ring that much ! And if you reinstall the foams that came with the 19's they touch the outer part (Front) of the bell in two places, it is a moot point after that,like this ! No more ring !

I agree--I use the foams with my Model 19's as well. Don--you made a great choice sticking with your original Model 19 h.f. drivers. If your Model 19's didn't come with foams for the horns, replacements are still being made by Paul and Debbie Darst [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Don--all you need are the three jumpers to connect the four ground lugs to each other. They are theoretically already connected but it's a mechanical connection--soldering in the three wires to connect the four ground lugs gives you a much better connection which is especially important due to the age of the crossovers and possible oxidation of the ground lugs interfering with their mechanical connection. I've done this modification to my Model 19's and also replaced all the original capacitors with Solen Fast Caps and the difference is astounding. Cleaner, clearer, more detailed overall sound---better bass and the h.f. now appears to roll off at a higher frequency. I also gave the pots a thorough cleaning. They sound amazing since I've done these mods.....
    Thanks - I really appreciate it. Now I understand. I am going to tackle this one. I did pick up a second set of crossovers that have the new caps and resistors, but the mod is not done. I have not used these yet. I am going to see if I can get the soldering iron in there without having to remove the caps. Else, I have to pick up some desoldering braid and remove some of the larger ones. I can post some pics of the new ones I picked up.

The crossovers in my 19s now are stock. I had pulled them out just to look at them, and cleaned the pots mechanically because as I mentioned earlier, there was no way to spray deoxit without prying off the covers and I did not have the courage at that point.

Sincerely,

Don

I agree--I use the foams with my Model 19's as well. Don--you made a great choice sticking with your original Model 19 h.f. drivers. If your Model 19's didn't come with foams for the horns, replacements are still being made by Paul and Debbie Darst [email protected]
    I purchased the foam from the Darsts last year. Great work by them - a perfect fit and priced reasonably....Don

Here is a picture of one of unit of the 2nd pair of crossovers for the M19 that I have that were redone (bypass mod not done yet but upcoming). The Caps are Kimber.

Name:  Altec19-crossover-redone.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  150.7 KB

One other point of note - a great CD that really hilites the strengths on the M19s is Blood, Sweat, and Tears (Extended Cuts) if you like that type of music. Horns are unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by donroth View Post
    I purchased the foam from the Darsts last year. Great work by them - a perfect fit and priced reasonably....Don
    Yes they are ! I was completely happy with mine ! The bypass mod is most important once that is done along with the other XO mods you have done you will be astonished at the difference in sound quality ! I was !

"James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

[QUOTE=Altec Best;311474]It doesn't ring that much ! And if you reinstall the foams that came with the 19's they touch the outer part (Front) of the bell in two places, it is a moot point after that,like this ! No more ring !

I wil try it but i doubt that it will do much. How do you hear the metallic sound? Hitting wiith the finger? try with a small hammer, you will see that the sound is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jf65 View Post
    I wil try it but i doubt that it will do much. How do you hear the metallic sound? Hitting wiith the finger? try with a small hammer, you will see that the sound is still there.
    Really? If you hit a piece of metal with a hammer it makes a metallic sound? Wow!

Actually, I have found that the foams do eliminate any audible ring on my Model 19 horns (Altec 811B horns) even at high listening levels. I've done A/B comparisons, and there is a surprising improvement with the foams dampening the horns.....

Really? If you hit a piece of metal with a hammer it makes a metallic sound? Wow!
    And hitting with a finger will make a fingerly sound? If your horn doesn't ring the hammer will not make it ring.
    It rings so much that anything on it will improve the sound a bit, but it is still a metallic horn, still very far from a wooden one, or you need to do more to really dampen it.

I was just trying to say that when you knock with your finger to hear the sound of a board or a horn it's too soft to make the thing vibrate at a high enough frequency - the disturbing one in the case of a metalic horn.
    By ignoring this some people made enclosures out of stone which were very bad in the mids and highs.

Agree with posters regarding lack of ringing with foam around horn. I own a previous pair of model 19's and caulked the horns, along with new foam but didn't enjoy what I thought was ringing because of the aftermarket crossovers I installed. Way to bright IMHO.
    In my present set of M-19's I modified the original crossovers keeping the inductors but wanting to see what differences could be had with higher end caps and resistors. I used a combination of Mundorf Supreme, M-Silver in Oil, Dynamicaps and Sonicaps along with Dueland resistors. I can't say that spending $$$ on caps vs $ on caps really makes a huge difference as I didn't listen with less expensive caps, but I've really enjoyed these speakers for the past four years and don't fore see changing. Pic's of crossovers and system. Model 19's are very good speakers and we are fortunate to own them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here is a picture of one of unit of the 2nd pair of crossovers for the M19 that I have that were redone (bypass mod not done yet but upcoming). The Caps are Kimber.

Name:  Altec19-crossover-redone.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  150.7 KB

One other point of note - a great CD that really hilites the strengths on the M19s is Blood, Sweat, and Tears (Extended Cuts) if you like that type of music. Horns are unreal.
    Well guys, life got in the way again but I am back. I have completed the bypass mod on both the original crossovers that I have, and on the crossover pair that had the caps upgraded.

Name:  altec-original-bypass-mod.jpg
Views: 4025
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  altec-capsupgrade-bypass-mod.jpg
Views: 3603
Size:  92.4 KB

I am not sure how well it shows up, but they are the black wires with a little red nail polish I put on them to mark them. One thing I noticed was that there was already one wire connecting two of the lugs but I just ignored it and connected three new wires. I originally wanted to use multi-stranded 14 gauge I have that I use as speaker wire but I could not get the solder to melt so had to go to single-strand higher gauge wire that was probably about 22 gauge. I did this without removing other parts. Possibly removing the large caps on the upgraded crossover would have allowed me to maneuver the soldering pencil iron to better heat the joint and use the larger gauge wire.

Before I put things back in, I am still debating trying to clean the pots but I am still not 100% sure the best way to open these things up without doing any damage. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Don

Before I put things back in, I am still debating trying to clean the pots but I am still not 100% sure the best way to open these things up without doing any damage. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

ps. Will spraying deoxit thru the vent holes at the back of the pot reach the contact areas for cleaning? I am not sure if the internal pot diameter is about the same as the external diameter. ie. if the contact area is reachable thru the vent holes.

ps. Will spraying deoxit thru the vent holes at the back of the pot reach the contact areas for cleaning? I am not sure if the internal pot diameter is about the same as the external diameter. ie. if the contact area is reachable thru the vent holes.
    Guys, with the flashlight at the right angle, I could see that the contact points were indeed visible from the vent holes in the back of the pots. Therefore, I just sprayed some deoxit in a few of the vents and worked the pots back and forth. I have installed the (upgraded) crossovers and the sound is great.

Thanks for your help. I'll still be keeping my eye on all things altec.

Sincerely,

Don

Thread Information