Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found me some 4311's

Could a mod please move this to the technical board.

How are your new speakers doing?
    Making progress?
    Joe

It is going slowly but it is going good. Bondo on the cabs and the backs and front have been painted black. It looks a whole lot better already. The crossovers are recapped with Audyn Q4 caps (2 1.5uf for the tweeter and 1 8.2uf for the midrange). I did use a .01 film cap with the tweeter cap mostly because I meant to order 4 from parts express buy accidently ordered only 2 of them.

I should be putting the veneer on Wed or Thurs of this week and then finishing them with some tung oil a couple of days after that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbasse View Post
    It is going slowly but it is going good. Bondo on the cabs and the backs and front have been painted black. It looks a whole lot better already. The crossovers are recapped with Audyn Q4 caps (2 1.5uf for the tweeter and 1 8.2uf for the midrange). I did use a .01 film cap with the tweeter cap mostly because I meant to order 4 from parts express buy accidently ordered only 2 of them.

I should be putting the veneer on Wed or Thurs of this week and then finishing them with some tung oil a couple of days after that.
    Sounds good, look forward to seeing them
    Joe

Could a mod please move this to the technical board.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Well I got them put together and hooked them up and one of the woofers was buzzing during high bass moments. I took it out and turned it 180 degrees and that seemed to help but I will listed to them more carefully tomorrow. Not sure what the best course of action would be if the buzzing persists.

I am putting the finishing touches on the cabinets and then will make the grilles for them in the coming weeks. As this was my first real restoration and reveneer job I am happy with the results so far.

I am going to need to do something with the foilcals sometime but currently do not have the cash to shell out for new ones. Is there a way to flatten them back out as the previous owner crinkled them. I was thinking about doing what this guy did (http://www.klipschupgrades.com/jbl4311.shtml) as I have some veneer left over and the foilcals I have are fine on the half that has the JBL and the model number.

Well I got them put together and hooked them up and one of the woofers was buzzing during high bass moments. I took it out and turned it 180 degrees and that seemed to help but I will listed to them more carefully tomorrow. Not sure what the best course of action would be if the buzzing persists.

I am putting the finishing touches on the cabinets and then will make the grilles for them in the coming weeks. As this was my first real restoration and reveneer job I am happy with the results so far.

I am going to need to do something with the foilcals sometime but currently do not have the cash to shell out for new ones. Is there a way to flatten them back out as the previous owner crinkled them. I was thinking about doing what this guy did (http://www.klipschupgrades.com/jbl4311.shtml) as I have some veneer left over and the foilcals I have are fine on the half that has the JBL and the model number.
    Clean the foilcals well, no bits of paint or MDF stuck to them, and clamp them TIGHTLY between two pieces of clean glass overnight
    Use wood between the glass and the clamps obviously
    They'll flatten out as good as new

As for your buzzing, make sure the tinsel leads aren't touching the cone anywhere and that you don't have any bad glue joints at the surround attaching lip or at the spider.
    But first, make sure you don't have any air leaks
    You can feel for leaks with your hand or use a piece of paper towel to find them, just pass it over the drivers and cab while playing the bass notes and see if you notice any fluttering
    I use foam weather strip on my woofers instead of the O-rings just because of this problem. On those older cabs, the sealing surface for the woofer frames leaves a lot to be desired and the O-ring isn't always thick enough to give you a good seal and it can and will make noise

Even though it's a ported box, air leaks at any of the areas around the woofer frame, the tweeters, the crossover/L-pad board or input connector board can give you a buzzing that sounds like it's the woofer when it's not, especially on hard low bass at higher SPLs

JBL put foam rings around the L-pad shafts, most of the time but not always. I've had plenty that were bare. Pay close attention to those

If rotating the woofers changed the noise, and it's a buzz and not a click or a knocking sound, then that's a good sign that it is a sealing problem and not a mechanical one so think positive

Also, double check and make sure there are no wires in the cab touching anything except where they are supposed to connect and for any loose hardware

Take your time and inspect things closely, you're waking up the dead, it'll all be cool!

Joe

I used mortite to seal the woofers and there is no air coming out from around the woofers. I think it may be the glue on the surrounds or spider because I pulled the woofer out while it was playing and the noise was coming from the woofer still.

The other speaker has a leak where the speaker terminal plate is attached to the cabinets. I am going to open those up and fix that tomorrow.

I used mortite to seal the woofers and there is no air coming out from around the woofers. I think it may be the glue on the surrounds or spider because I pulled the woofer out while it was playing and the noise was coming from the woofer still.

The other speaker has a leak where the speaker terminal plate is attached to the cabinets. I am going to open those up and fix that tomorrow.
    Try and describe the sound it's making

Well I think I may need a new woofer or repairs. I made a video of the woofer outside of the box with loudness on and bass turned up and it is worse than I thought.

Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/jhKav5hvz04

Well I think I may need a new woofer or repairs. I made a video of the woofer outside of the box with loudness on and bass turned up and it is worse than I thought.

Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/jhKav5hvz04
    Can't really tell for certain from your video, too short
    Was that woofer the only thing playing?
    If I had to pick a card, I'd still say it sounds like something coming unglued, if it is the only thing you had playing
    That or a really saggy spider which is unusual
    Frustrating because you are there and I am here
    When you look at the woofer from the side, does the spider appear flat?
    What amp are you using?

What was the music you were playing, I dig that

Joe

Well I checked everything out and there was no sagging spider and I could not find any of the surround or spider that were loose. I sent a speaker repair person on Audiokarma the video and he thought it was voice coil damage. I sent the woofer off to him and he should be able to repair whatever is wrong.

The music I was listening to was Dunes by The Alabama Shakes. Great band from Athens, Alabama.

Well I checked everything out and there was no sagging spider and I could not find any of the surround or spider that were loose. I sent a speaker repair person on Audiokarma the video and he thought it was voice coil damage. I sent the woofer off to him and he should be able to repair whatever is wrong.

The music I was listening to was Dunes by The Alabama Shakes. Great band from Athens, Alabama.
    I had an old compression driver diaphragm once on which the glue attaching the voice coil to the dome itself had partially let go
    The diaphragm played music put would make a weird clicking noise from time to time depending on content
    I thought about that when I heard your video, but the sound was very different, still I thought of that as a possibility
    Hopefully that's the case and he can repair it for you, that would be great

Thanks for the heads up on the band, yeah, the barefoot chick, I caught them briefly on one of the plethora of late night shows not too long ago, PBS too I think, but both shows were winding up when I stumbled across them, I will definitely check them out more closely

Joe

Well I just hear back from the guy I sent it off to. Good News! The surround was rotted in some places making the voice coil rub at high excursion as well as some dirt from an old mud dobber nest on the back of the woofer. So he put new surrounds on, new dust cap, and cleaned everything up real good all for $50 plus shipping. He received the woofer yesterday!!!

These things were not taken care of at all by the previous owner and I am glad that I found them to give them new life.

Also I am uploading a picture of one of the foilcals that has some of the paint worn off. What would be the best way to repaint the foilcal?

Name:  WP_20160712_001.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  56.6 KB

Well I just hear back from the guy I sent it off to. Good News! The surround was rotted in some places making the voice coil rub at high excursion as well as some dirt from an old mud dobber nest on the back of the woofer. So he put new surrounds on, new dust cap, and cleaned everything up real good all for $50 plus shipping. He received the woofer yesterday!!!

These things were not taken care of at all by the previous owner and I am glad that I found them to give them new life.

Also I am uploading a picture of one of the foilcals that has some of the paint worn off. What would be the best way to repaint the foilcal?

Name:  WP_20160712_001.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  56.6 KB
    That's great news about your woofers
    Did you get them both done?

Did the glass flatten out your foilcals or did you do something else?
    Either way, looks good
    Touch up the scratched spots on the foilcal lightly, like just enough to make the scratched spots black again, spray or brush, whatever you got but keep the touch up THIN THIN THIN! Leave the good black areas alone

Touch it up light and let it dry at least 24 hours and then spray the whole foilcal with some Dullcote, the Testors model stuff, it's clear flat lacquer so go with light coats (lacquer can make old finish lift)
    It'll smooth out all the touch up spots so you can't see them, makes everything look all smooth again

It'll makes 'em look perfect, they'll look great

Do y'all have an ACE hardware store?

Joe

Thread Information