Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Center Channel

Does your crossover cross one of the drivers at one frequency and let the other travel all the way down? I am building a similar center for my theater as well. Current I am using a pair of l65, but that will soon change.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    Does your crossover cross one of the drivers at one frequency and let the other travel all the way down? I am building a similar center for my theater as well. Current I am using a pair of l65, but that will soon change.
    Doing that for a full range mains, like the Everest II is good. But my way of thinking, not for a center channel, which is mostly dialogue. Both mid-range/bass drivers should operate over the same frequencies.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Doing that for a full range mains, like the Everest II is good. But my way of thinking, not for a center channel, which is mostly dialogue. Both mid-range/bass drivers should operate over the same frequencies.
    Are we talking within the Center Channel? The 2118J's are wired in parallel and connected to the LF portion of the 3k crossover (12db/octave Linkowitz/Reily) and the 2404 to the HF output. Is the suggestion to run the 2118's full range?

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Are we talking within the Center Channel? The 2118J's are wired in parallel and connected to the LF portion of the 3k crossover (12db/octave Linkowitz/Reily) and the 2404 to the HF output. Is the suggestion to run the 2118's full range?
    Yes, within the center. My thoughts are as you already have it, in parallel down to 80 htz, as the FR for the 2118 is to 70. I would not play them below 70 in a HT setup.
    For music only, I have run my L212s full range at times w/o a sub. The 112A in that system is like the 2118 w/FR to 70 but 6db/octave slope.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

I have had my crossover built and the question was asked if I wanted the 2118's in mine stepped in frequency like a 4612 , we did not instead designed them to both run together. The other two elements in mine are a 2420 and a 2405. Christmas project...
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

JBL 4645
    I tuned it to 100 Hz. It sounds great. I love how vocals come across on the 2404 and also how it has great dispersion. I watched Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads...very nice.

It certainly does sound different from my R/L channels. I'm finding it a good exercise for my ear to listen to the differences. Maybe on day I will build another center that matches!
    Val
    I told you so. Well at least it works that’s the primary goal here isn’t it?

It’s going to miss or maybe miss so lows down at 20Hz going upwards body punches or deep Schwarzenegger lies “he’s using the trees”. lol

Why not matching pair and flip them all upright I know the flat screen gets in the way of the sound action. Make them flat still doesn’t improve the sound to picture. Why not compact smaller tighter meaner JBL with 12” and small HF horn that rests on top of the enclosure, fixed horn tweeters suck because you can’t tilt them you have to tilt the whole speaker!

Still you are show-off with that new diy JBL

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Rubbish! Who told you it was for just dialogue? If you’re system has the means of switching monitoring any of the LCRS/LFE.1 at will! Then monitor closely the centre in discrete Dolby digital its miles different over Dolby 4.24. matrix, where the music or some effects will crosstalk or fold onto the centre discrete original mix.

Switch to Dolby digital discrete and listen to only the centre you’d be hearing a whole lot more besides dialogue. Effects and music will be like wow to you’re ears.

Listen to, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) that has dialogue panning over the LCR to where the onscreen images are placed and it is such and incredible Dolby film mix still to this day. Its better still with projection screen covering the matching fronts as the sound images become one.

i know its off topic but i wish i had as much real estate for a sub and equipment as the OP. i'm jealous.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1224 View Post
    i know its off topic but i wish i had as much real estate for a sub and equipment as the OP. i'm jealous.
    I second that I’m deeply jealous my living room is tetchy. But I make do with what I have make do with what I have and make it work within all four-walls, oh not forgetting the floor and ceiling. You hear that, Val we’re deeply jealous we want rooms the size of yours. How big is your room Val it looks to be 15 wide by 20 feet long with low ceiling around 8 or 9 feet?

I think the smaller the room the better, less power to drive the speakers. Bigger rooms more power maybe? Still every room has its null and frequency response issues to tackle. I don’t know what, is worst larger rooms or smaller rooms.

I am seriously blessed to have such a room. It's about 28 ft wide and about 18 ft deep. It's part dining room. The biggest compliant I get...from my wife no less...is that our 46" TV is too small.

I am seriously blessed to have such a room. It's about 28 ft wide and about 18 ft deep. It's part dining room. The biggest compliant I get...from my wife no less...is that our 46" TV is too small.
    i actually get that too. when i had monitors on stands it was too big, with my 240's its "itty bitty". honestly i think my 50" is fine. more room for other stuff.
    a pair of busted 240ti's and some out of date equipment

Thread Information