Page 108 of 143 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Thanks for the advice. The output MOSFETs were fried on one of mine. Those have been replaced and now, instead of blowing fuses, the amp goes into protection.

What is the driver worth?

I had a good experience with these folks on repairing an HTPS400:

http://www.jbl-speaker.com/entrance.asp

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I had a good experience with these folks on repairing an HTPS400:

http://www.jbl-speaker.com/entrance.asp

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by maabx View Post
    Thanks. I'll give them a call.
    Then PM me when you're ready to sell the trim ring. I'm serious. This goes for anyone.
    Out.

Does anyone remember what the PT800 corner mount brackets sold for originally when JBL was still selling them?

Fount the following. It says MSRP $100.

http://www.msshifi.com/crazy-super-i...for-pt800.html

Quote Originally Posted by maabx View Post
    Yes, those guys are selling some so I was looking for a different source of information.
    I found a couple old online retail prices of $39.95 from 3rd party sellers.

OK. Here is another source. Says MSRP $50.

http://bestofaudio.com/product_info....748eb74d5fab49

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Does anyone remember what the PT800 corner mount brackets sold for originally when JBL was still selling them?
    Are you looking to buy some? I know someone.
    Out.

Idle curiosity only, it would just be more unused P.S. paraphernalia in the collection. A 1x4 and a few screws will accomplish the same thing.

PT250 update

Had a small group (grumpy, JBLaddict, and sdurani [from AVS]) over yesterday for some tweaking of the PT250s. A number of factors conspired to keep us from getting everything done, but with Sanjay's ears and grumpy's equipment, they're dialed in a little bit better than before.

We all had a wide-ranging discussion on room treatments, system integration, Floyd Toole, etc. Interesting stff.

We also looked at JBLaddict's Soundcraftsmen A400. What an interesting exploration that was.

He got a view of the ATI 2003 amps and a nice preview of their sound and operation with the K2s. Then we agreed as a group that via optical in the 24/192 DACs in the Outlaw 990 performed better than the analog out 24/96 DACs in the Oppo BDP-83SE running through the K2s. So crap on that! How do I get my extra $400 back?

There was some talk of taking the PT250s upstairs to compare to the K2s, but 500 pounds of equipment needing to be moved nixed that idea. The PT250s sound pretty darn good--a little better now--but we've more to do. Putting them in the same room as the K2s would require a complete recalibration and probably take the edge off our enthusiasm in the process.

The PT250 imaging and soundstage is really very, very good, as JBLaddict discovered when Sanjay put on Def Leppard Hysteria. Yes, we still listen to that kind of music.

Then we topped things off with Chicago dogs, root beer, and Roxy Music's Avalon on the Performance Series MCH system.
    Out.

Thanks Doug for the usual hospitality, another good day at the West Coast home of JBL systems past present, and as we experienced yesterday....future

I can say the PT250 with external crossover handily beat the XPL200-DX1 combo, which should be no big surprise considering the 14" driver on the PT, markedly better inverted Ti mid-bass, updated Ti mid, and much larger cabinet, the integration was much richer, cohesive and wider in soundstage.

Between K2 S9900, XPL 200, full PS surround, and a complete Syn HT, and now the PT250, it's always difficult for me to keep my "kid in a candy store" mania at bay when at your home, wanting to try multiple discs on multiple systems

some day, it would be awesome to do a dedicated 2-channel A/B/C/D/E rotating in and out the K2, PT Stack, XPL, 3100, L7 in the same room/position. Probably not logistically reasonable, but would be a great nonetheless if possible. Having so many eras of JBL icons in one place makes this really tempting.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Then we agreed as a group that via optical in the 24/192 DACs in the Outlaw 990 performed better than the analog out 24/96 DACs in the Oppo BDP-83SE running through the K2s. So crap on that! How do I get my extra $400 back?
    Could you please explain the systems you were comparing? I don't quite follow.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Could you please explain the systems you were comparing? I don't quite follow.

Widget
    System: Oppo BDP-83SE > Outlaw 990 > ATI 2003 > JBL K2S9900

Option One: Oppo BDP-83SE using its 24/96 DACs to its analog outs to the Outlaw 990 analog ins and using its analog bypass to its balanced outs to the amps

Option Two: Oppo BDP-83SE using its digital optical out to the Outlaw 990 digital optical in then using the Outlaw 24/192 DACs to output to the balanced outputs

My (our) expectation was that the Oppo with its highly regarded DACs and analog stereo upgrades would be the better performer, especially given the somewhat long-in-the-tooth aspect of the Outlaw 990. Yet the older DACs were clearly more listenable.

Ergo, I want my $400 back from Oppo. (Yes, I know I'm not going to get it.)
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    System: Oppo BDP-83SE > Outlaw 990 > ATI 2003 > JBL K2S9900

Option One: Oppo BDP-83SE using its 24/96 DACs to its analog outs to the Outlaw 990 analog ins and using its analog bypass to its balanced outs to the amps

Option Two: Oppo BDP-83SE using its digital optical out to the Outlaw 990 digital optical in then using the Outlaw 24/192 DACs to output to the balanced outputs

My (our) expectation was that the Oppo with its highly regarded DACs and analog stereo upgrades would be the better performer, especially given the somewhat long-in-the-tooth aspect of the Outlaw 990. Yet the older DACs were clearly more listenable.

Ergo, I want my $400 back from Oppo. (Yes, I know I'm not going to get it.)
    The Oppo's DAC is not "24/96", it functions with content up to 24/192, however this has nothing to do with what you hear. You could be hearing small differences in levels or some DSP in the Outlaw that hasn't been accounted for. Player settings with respect to SPDIF output could also be relevant. Also good to note that using stereo analog inputs in most AVRs will result in the audio being put through A-D-A conversion regardless of use of the "pure" setting. I can't say if this is also true of the Outlaw, possibly not. But you'd want to use the multi-channel analog inputs to avoid this conversion.

FWIW, the newer Oppo BDP-93 will match the BDP-83SE for analog quality, and the BDP-95 leaves it in the dust.

Thread Information