Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

Here is a fantastic amp. Will demolish most others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-...#ht_755wt_1082

Allan.

Heather, here's a great little amp.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum - but here goes ...
    I have those 3 way speakers - They started life as L200 cabinets and I loaded them -
    first with Giskard's 3133 equiv crossover design,
    a 2234 woofer, the 2105 slot supertweeter, and the 2445J mid driver on the walnut smith horn.

I'm not sure how to figure what the efficiency of this combination would be,
    or if I could drive it to any reasonable level with a lower power tube design ...

Kindly ignore the the other speakers - I'll be selling off the Maggies and the Dahlquist ...

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaco-ST-35...item2c611a6928

I've actually been looking at the ST-70s instead of the ST-35 ...
    Could you tell me why the St-35 is your recommendation?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Two reasons

I've actually been looking at the ST-70s instead of the ST-35 ...
    Could you tell me why the St-35 is your recommendation?
    This amp has 6BQ5/EL84 power tubes. They are sweet and cheaper than EL34's. Secondly whether ST35 or ST70, you have plenty of watts for the mid/tweeter. I still think, along with several others, that you get the most out out your speakers with a SS amp on the woofers. This particular amp has all new components other than the transformers. That will insure a better chance of dependable service. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    This amp has 6BQ5/EL84 power tubes. They are sweet and cheaper than EL34's. Secondly whether ST35 or ST70, you have plenty of watts for the mid/tweeter. I still think, along with several others, that you get the most out out your speakers with a SS amp on the woofers. This particular amp has all new components other than the transformers. That will insure a better chance of dependable service. Good luck.
    Well, I've already gone the biamp route on the 4341 4way monitors downstairs, with GFA-555 on the woofers there,
    and I have a spare Ashly active crossover in reserve.

But I was hoping to try a tube system without all that extra active complication.

I've been looking at the Dynaco ST-70 and perhaps the ST-35 which is rumoured to be "a bit sweeter", if only half the power rating ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I have a friend right up the street from you who owns a Rogue Audio Chronus Magnum. I can ask him if he and I can bring it over for a demo. It might not be what you're in the market for, but it would allow you to hear what a tube amp might sound like. I think it's 55wpc.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Au...tegrated-Amp_2

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I have a friend right up the street from you who owns a Rogue Audio Chronus Magnum. I can ask him if he and I can bring it over for a demo. It might not be what you're in the market for, but it would allow you to hear what a tube amp might sound like. I think it's 55wpc.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Au...tegrated-Amp_2
    ACKK! looks very nice but its out of my budget!

But sure, if he's game and willing to bring it over, we could set up a demo date!
    I'd just need to know what config he'd need to do so!

And you know that room's a good space for music!

ACKK! looks very nice but its out of my budget!

But sure, if he's game and willing to bring it over, we could set up a demo date!
    I'd just need to know what config he'd need to do so!

And you know that room's a good space for music!
    Yes, it's a VERY nice space for listening to music. I'll ask him if he's game and let you know. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it would give you a taste of tubes in that power range.

I hear you...

Well, I've already gone the biamp route on the 4341 4way monitors downstairs, with GFA-555 on the woofers there,
    and I have a spare Ashly active crossover in reserve.

But I was hoping to try a tube system without all that extra active complication.
    It is a bit of extra work to bi-amp. I would say the Dynaco ST70 would certainly be a better choice going solo and depending on the volume you play your music, it may be just fine. If you like voices and upper range instruments, you will be pleasantly pleased.

I have 4331a based speakers (136a, 2420 on Edgar tractrix, 3131a xover, add-on rat shack supertweeter). I have tried vintage PP 6BQ5/EL84 and modern SE and PSE 300B with them, but the bass was pretty flabby with those particular amps. Sounded pretty good with more power - Dynaco ST70 (modded) and Dynaco Mk3's (also modded). SE 845's were just ok, but I don't think I liked those particular amps.

I run push pull 6B4G's (octal 6.3v 2A3), 15w or so, and the bass is nice and firm. Not SS firm, but good enough for me. BUT, I built the amps myself, with a really stiff LCLC power supply and fixed bias; not typical in a garden variety commercial amp. The 15w isn't really enough power, but I love the DHT, no feedback sound, so I compromise on the power. Stays coherent on 'big' music (orchestral, big band), just doesn't get stupid loud.

35-70 watts should do fine to start, try it and see how you like it. Might be able to go lower IF you get the right amp in the right room.

Jolida 102B

Hi Heather!

Take a look at jolida, they make a great little tube reasonable priced, 20wpc, el84 type, easy to modify/tinker with from what I've read.I would also consider the 302B, el34 type tubes, great amp, scored one in the $400.00 range in good shape a while back, both very musical. Bass is more than adequate, I dont feel like I'm missing anything in that department, never as tight as ss but quite respectable.

I've had the 102 in the 100db range and it was begining to distort, not badly but you could perceive it, 90db-95db is a better range.
    Based out of Maryland no less , our friend Mr. Clark turned me onto them.

Have fun!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi Heather!

Take a look at jolida, they make a great little tube reasonable priced, 20wpc, el84 type, easy to modify/tinker with from what I've read.I would also consider the 302B, el34 type tubes, great amp, scored one in the $400.00 range in good shape a while back, both very musical. Bass is more than adequate, I dont feel like I'm missing anything in that department, never as tight as ss but quite respectable.

I've had the 102 in the 100db range and it was begining to distort, not badly but you could perceive it, 90db-95db is a better range.
    Based out of Maryland no less , our friend Mr. Clark turned me onto them.

Have fun!
    Thanks Krunchy!
    If you and my local friend Wilfredo says they are musical, I'll have a look at them ...

I keep seeing Dynaco ST-xxs going for crazy money, with no guarantee that they've been upgraded/restored correctly -
    and those things have some real age on them ... something newer sounds like a plan!

A 302B for $400 sounds like a great deal - kudos on that!

Just looked Jolida up on the map - I thought they were Annapolis but it looks like they are just outside Friendship airport
    (BWI) just a bit below Baltimore! VERY nearby for a visit!

Just looked Jolida up on the map - I thought they were Annapolis but it looks like they are just outside Friendship airport
    (BWI) just a bit below Baltimore! VERY nearby for a visit!
    Yes! very highly advisable.
    There is also the 502B which is a monster from what I've heard (power & size wise), these units do get dramatically larger from one model to another, where the 102 is just such a cool/(cute) little amp (it cranks), the 302 is "a good sized unit" definitely no longer in the "cute" category.

I think you'd have a lot of fun with tube amps, what with all the tinkering and potential tube rolling....... and they sound great!

Happy hunting!
    Just Play Music.

I keep seeing Dynaco ST-xxs going for crazy money, with no guarantee that they've been upgraded/restored correctly -
    and those things have some real age on them ... something newer sounds like a plan!
    This upgraded ST-70 just sold for $425 + shipping

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=382207

Thread Information