Page 102 of 721 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Seawolf, That Steely Dan abum has the correct/original/best/most highly-sought-out version of one of their coolest songs ever...FM. Ive heard a newer/lamerrrr version that is on the cd and frankly, it sucks IMHO. That album is worth it weight in, lets say....Gold, for that song alone.
    On the album "FM" -movie soundtrack- has the right version, but GH tracks
    Songs Include:
    • Aja
    • Bad Sneakers
    • Black Friday
    • Bodhisattva
    • Chain Lightning
    • Deacon Blues
    • Don't Take Me Alive
    • Gaucho
    • Green Earrings
    • Hey Nineteen
    • Josie
    • Kid Charlemagne
    • My Old School
    • Night By Night
    • Parker's Band
    • Peg
    • Pretzel Logic
    • Reeling In The Years
    • RIKKI DON'T LOSE THAT NUMBER
    • Time Out Of Mind
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sorry Seawolf, you are absolutely right. Seems like I have to wake up and smell the cabbage water. My rant was directed to the Gold album vs cd.
    Thats what I'm talking about, pissed me off when I heard the version on the cd, which as stated sucked! & I stand by my previous statemnt
    Just Play Music.

I believe the "Gold" CD was directed at mass-market distribution without the true Dan fan or "audiophile" in mind. I bought it, listened to it once, and relegated it to in-car use, only.

In my opinion, if you want a good CD version of "FM" you should be looking for the two-CD "Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story 1972-1980" which contains re-mastered versions of some of their best, including "FM", and 32 additional classic cuts.

I believe I got my copy, new and unopened, off Half.com for $11 shipped. If you're not a registered at Half.com, let me recommend it and send you a link which I believe gets us both a $5 credit off each of our next purchases.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    In my opinion, if you want a good CD version of "FM" you should be looking for the two-CD "Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story 1972-1980" which contains re-mastered versions of some of their best, including "FM", and 32 additional classic cuts.
    I ab love "FM" ..its on the pod always, but "Babylon Sisters" is 99% as good.

BMr, thanks for the tip on showbiz kids, send me the link on half.com & I'll take a peek at it.

Babylon Sisters is also underrated as is Gaucho in general, great album w/Mark Knopfler making a nice cameo on time out of mind, his guitar playing is always so unique/original. Another Dan guitarist that comes up and is relevant to this particular little discussion is Rick Derringer ( on-my rival, another great song on gaucho). Listen to his slide guitar work on the song Showbiz Kids, it just blows me away every time I hear it, its so raw & just incredibly hot, played on our beloved JBLs & turned up loud it does not get any better.

Speaking of Rick Derringer, is anyone here familiar with his material, I picked up two of his cd's not too long ago (based on his performance on showbiz kids) and although not bad I was let down a little bit. Can anyone recommend some of his cds?
    Just Play Music.

Sundays is 5 for a buck on the color of the week tagged media -green this week- for CD's/tapes/LP's ..so I got 5 + another 2 at a garage sale on the way home...7 for $2.

I'm on a Ronstadt kick right now and always liked Ms. Warwick...the others are a gamble except the BTO "Freeways" which had never been opened.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    BMr, thanks for the tip on showbiz kids, send me the link on half.com & I'll take a peek at it.
    Looks like they've gone away from a user-reward model to a website model were owners get paid for driving traffic to half.com. Sorry, for both of us.

Half.com still works well. Of course like anything making money on the web, it got bought by Ebay some time ago. That means your feedback profile is merged. Give it a try anyway. It's usually my first go-to for used books or music.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Of course like anything making money on the web, it got bought by Ebay.
    The power of the bay! No problem sir & thank you nonetheless

Thats a nice avatar there Seawolf.
    Just Play Music.

Come Dancing!

Its always a good time to listen to these guys!

Just Play Music.

The KNACK -above- seems to be a 1 hit album...it was super nice today and the projects were in control so took the 15 mile vinyl safari ....all are in great shape..some look 'Unplayed"...the rainbow box set is 4 LP'S..

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The KNACK -above- seems to be a 1 hit album.
    Thats about right I think most people liked that one hit.
    Just Play Music.

been pickin up lots o' vinyl , but checked out "Citizen Steely Dan" -a 4 CD set thats jammed to 74 on all disks ....havnt read anything abt remastering , but the quality seems fine nevertheless.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Steely.../dp/B000002ORE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Steely_Dan

for a "Dan Fan" its a nice listen

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    havnt read anything abt remastering , but the quality seems fine nevertheless.
    Actually, several user-reviews on Amazon touch on the meat of the issue. Here's one take:

An even bigger problem is that, as Messrs. Fagen and Becker have ruefully recounted many times in the years since, MCA didn't bother locating the master tapes for this... they used the same weak transfers that were done in the 80's and had someone tweak them a little bit. Adding insult to injury, they then reissued the individual albums with a sticker proclaiming them to be "Newly Remastered by the Artist". And you wonder why these guys record for a different label now. Sheesh.

Anyway, the story does have a happy ending. In 1999, Don + Walt presided over a _real_ remastering of the albums, with the help of Roger Nichols, who'd engineered the original albums. Those cds, available today, sound spectacular and feature groovy liner notes that tell a lot more about the band than this booklet does."

Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne (2005) - double DVD set

http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Farewel...8830244&sr=8-2

I'm an Eagles fan ....these live DVD's sound as close to a studio session as can be...this and "Hell freezes over" are prolly the best recorded live concerts that I've run into ....most of the favs are there, + Don Henley tunes and a little too many Joe Walsh ones.....of course a huge on stage entourage - 4 horns, violins, dancers etc etc- ....the 2 encores seemed hokey , but all in all a very enjoyable 2.5 hours

6-8 weeks ago I bought a second Sony MD-Jb930 minidisk deck and set it up in the HT driving the big Ohms' ....now I can dub from concert DVD's to MD and they are transportable to the LR JBL system or the portable MD player for bedtime listening..

found a nice site ..Brittan's Gramophone mag ...lots of classical music reviews and old tt reviews in their archive section

http://www.gramophone.net/

Thread Information