Thread: JBL L7 Review/Experiance Sharing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

I don't have the article, but Audio published an L7 review in the December 1992 issue. If you can find a copy, I'd like to read it, too.

I've got four L7s plus a pair of L5s in my #2 system. I'd say the optimal use, however, is a pair of L7s used in a two channel system in a dedicated room with ceilings no higher than nine feet. Properly set up three feet from the front and side walls and bi-amped with the internal crossovers separated and a two-way external crossover in place, these mommas can put out some seriously fine, loud, wonderfully imaged sound.

If they're not well set up, which is the case most of the time, they can sound terrible.
    Out.

Cool

In fact, an L7 will eat all the power available from just about any amp made. While it's rated to 450W, I've seen it take 600W at full output and suck an amp dry.

Those of us who conducted this "experiment" with Deep Purple's Machine Head LP chickened out before the L7 did. We were a little ......., and I think we got slightly paranoid that the whole thing would blow up and render us deaf and impotent. :shock:

The Crown amp's fan was whirling like a tornado when we cut the volume, and the case was almost too hot to touch. (Remember, this speaker is essentially a 6 Ohm load, but in a couple of places it's closer to 2 Ohms.)
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    In fact, an L7 will eat all the power available from just about any amp made. While it's rated to 450W, I've seen it take 600W at full output and suck an amp dry.

Those of us who conducted this "experiment" with Deep Purple's Machine Head LP chickened out before the L7 did. We were a little ......., and I think we got slightly paranoid that the whole thing would blow up and render us deaf and impotent. :shock:

The Crown amp's fan was whirling like a tornado when we cut the volume, and the case was almost too hot to touch. (Remember, this speaker is essentially a 6 Ohm load, but in a couple of places it's closer to 2 Ohms.)
    After selling my 4344's and waiting for the 4345 clones I put the L7's in place. 350 WPC Crown K1 Ashly 1001 McIntosh 125 WPC 2125 on top. What fun! Freakin $300 speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    Freakin $300 speakers.

Wow! You must be rich! (Many of paid even less!)
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Many of US* paid even less!
    I'm one of those ....

but the L7's got lost in the crowd competing for the available playing positions....'cides , I traded them for gear that had been $3200+ only 6 months earlier.

the L7's sounded better in the middle of the room during the trade than they ever did when packed back into the available listening slots. They were replaced with ADS L1290's that were smoother/more musical and now with AR90's in the HT which sound as good as the L7's, but go lower. (spec-ed to 23hz)

but, I still use the "L" center (CL505)

*implied ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    *implied ?
    Well, I knew I wasn't the only one, even if I did find two pair for less. Don't use either right now but I'll move some day and they'll make nice TV room surrounds.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

have it

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I don't have the article, but Audio published an L7 review in the December 1992 issue. If you can find a copy, I'd like to read it, too.

I've got four L7s plus a pair of L5s in my #2 system. I'd say the optimal use, however, is a pair of L7s used in a two channel system in a dedicated room with ceilings no higher than nine feet. Properly set up three feet from the front and side walls and bi-amped with the internal crossovers separated and a two-way external crossover in place, these mommas can put out some seriously fine, loud, wonderfully imaged sound.

If they're not well set up, which is the case most of the time, they can sound terrible.
    so about 6 years late, but I have it, what's the rule for posting here?

couple teasers

"Their reproduction of high-frequency percussive sounds was extended and smooth, easily the equal of my reference B&W 801 Matrix 2 systems"
    "The L7s low frequency output can keep up with that of the best speaker systems I have tested as well as with several subwoofers I know about"
    "The L7s are quite handsome in their basic black finish" ;-)
    "The front grill causes some fairly severe interference effects in the on-axis response. I suggest leaving it off for serious listening; the speaker looks quite acceptable without it"
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I don't know, but a mod can tell you. In the meantime, send it to me, please.

If you do post it, I'd appreciate it in the L Series thread so it doesn't get lost.
    Out.

Thread Information