Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JBL price jump on Ferrite drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    ii

Indeed , but there comes a point . Fortunately there is a large stock of pre loved gear available. Interestingly , as an example a used 2226 in the UK goes for £100 - 150 on the bay maybe a little higher if minty , but this does not reflect the high initial price but more a real world value in comparison to other products. So there seems to be quite high depreciation from the initial retail.
    It wil be interesting to see whether the new high prices will raise the values of the used gear.
    It is rather odd that a top of the range speaker lets say 2225 or 2235, were huge money here when new. Second hand on an auction site though they are treated as jusnk and go for very little money. I got my 2235's of ebay for $50 each, threw a new recone kit at them, didnt pay 1c for them, and now they are brand new again.

This thread lost its original intention...

But on the other hand not only did ferrite drivers jump up in price, pretty much everything JBL went up in price.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    the thing is, this is the JBL forum and most of us here are jbl fanatics at what ever price
    Not when the price is supporting corporate treason... that is a line alot of people won't cross.

And this is the Lansing Heritage website, not the JBL forum. The JBL of today has nothing to do with Lansing Heritage, wish as they might.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Not when the price is supporting corporate treason... that is a line alot of people won't cross.

And this is the Lansing Heritage website, not the JBL forum. The JBL of today has nothing to do with Lansing Heritage, wish as they might.
    Thank ya, Thank ya very much!

I'm sure a large number of us agree with that sentiment!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

the thing is, this is the JBL forum and most of us here are jbl fanatics at what ever price
    what are you smoking ? please dont pretend to speak for MOST of us.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thank ya, Thank ya very much!

I'm sure a large number of us agree with that sentiment!
    Here's another that agrees.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    what are you smoking ? please dont pretend to speak for MOST of us.

Here's another that agrees.
    As usual you dont get it, my comment was made after the referal of many other speaker brands. Most people here have JBL because they like them, or is it because they are the cheapest and everyone buys them? I think the former is the truer statement.

As usual you don't get it, my comment was made after the referal of many other speaker brands. Most people here have JBL because they like them, or is it because they are the cheapest and everyone buys them? I think the former is the truer statement.
    I like the JBLs that I own, I generally didn't like the JBLs I have sold anywhere near as much, and there are many JBL models I didn't buy because I knew I wouldn't care for them (big-box store cheap-a$$ trash riding on their name-value but not sound quality).

In short, JBL has made some great speakers, and there is also some junk out there with the JBL badge on it too - the name alone does NOT guarantee quality any more.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

True and True. I couldn't agree more.

In short, JBL has made some great speakers, and there is also some junk out there with the JBL badge on it too - the name alone does NOT guarantee quality any more.

Heather you are totally correct in this , if you think about it over the last 30 years JBL brand has probably made more crap ( Domestic speakers ) than good all in the name of , well you tell me. If any of you recall Bolivar ..... not too bad but iffy cabs and not quite the real deal but Harman were content to trade on the JBL provenance. It has been going on for years. The bit I dont get is how inept Harman marketing has been with regard to the dealer market and also how there was an opportunity to establish a brand lets call it HK Speakers that would be assosciated with the JBL ethos and run beside JBL without diluting the original Brand.
    The OP askes the question about the price of ferrite going up , probably so, it's heavier but I think we have established that the prices are up across the board.
    In my time in the Hi Fi business the marketing efforts and activities of the Harman ( gang ) often made me stare into space and go ' WHY ME '. I never figured it out. The level of ( marketing ) stupidity beggared belief.
    Here is a simple example , I wanted to buy some Cabaret boxes for a cutomer who was a gigging musician and also a JBL home user . Harman rep response was 'sorry you are not a MI dealer' Says I are there any MI dealers in Scotland that I can do a deal with ? ' No' says he.' Where do I buy these from then Bob?' says I Bob says 'get them from the US grey import'
    Ditto happened over Studio series 4301 12 13 of which we sold eventually a fair quantity.
    Bob eventually saw sense when I put one of those little bangers in his cigarette at a trade show right in front of his boss, and when it went off I said ' Right Bob , now do I have your attention ?' After that we had all access to JBL product across the board inc recone etc etc but guess what, they then started to try to tie deals with the junk TLX ? onto the good gear that we were trading. We had no market for TLX whatsoever and they should have known that.

I could never fathom the strategy from Harman

Scapa , Glengoyne ---- Girlie whisky Heather , I thought you were beyond that and into the flavour zone. Have a go at, if you can find it Daluaine 16yo.

... and there is also some junk out there with the JBL badge on it too.
    That probably includes the boomy L200

Scapa , Glengoyne ---- Ladies whisky Heather , I thought you were beyond that and into the flavour zone. Have a go at, if you can find it Dailuaine 16yo.
    Thats just an old picture from ... just after Tartan day in 2008, if I recall - we still have Abundadh - currently batch 29 ... we finished the other bottle (batch 17 I think it was) ...
    Remember, stuff's probably a bit more dear here near DC than it is over your way ...

But - we'll look up that Sherry monster after payday and see what we think!
    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1863.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    yeah, I know, I'm stuck on that big cheap junk - even as reworked as ours is ...
    - a walnut box we've swapped out the woofer, mid horn, added a new 3133 crossover & slot tweeter, - but yeah, horrid speaker in a pretty box, for sure ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Maybe so but at least it was built to last. Also that was a long long time ago. I don't think Harman was on the go at that time.

Maybe so but at least it was built to last. Also that was a long long time ago. I don't think Harman was on the go at that time.
    There's a set of L200 for sale locally for $300.00
    Even to part out, I wouldn't lose my time on them.

Name:  Loch_Lomond___Tintin.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  17.1 KB

I like the JBLs that I own, I generally didn't like the JBLs I have sold anywhere near as much, and there are many JBL models I didn't buy because I knew I wouldn't care for them (big-box store cheap-a$$ trash riding on their name-value but not sound quality).

Dear oh dear.......do I need to spell everything out to the letter so everyone will get it? are you saying that JBL now doesnt make great speakers?

Dear oh dear.......do I need to spell everything out to the letter so everyone will get it? are you saying that JBL now doesn't make great speakers?
    I am saying what I said ...

"JBL has made some great speakers, and there is also some junk out there with the JBL badge on it too -
    the name alone does NOT guarantee quality any more.
    "

Not too hard to understand, is it?

Thread Information