Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4350's in the house, need help!!!

these were soffet mounted vertically in a studio, so the UHF driver would have been vertical. you can move the HF drivers on either left/right side, there are slots for both.

i rent an air conditioned storage where i keep 90% of my gear. i rotate often. i wont be doing that with these monsters. i have a spare room in the house, where i keep my GRAILS... these can be items that may not be much, but i like them.

widget, thank you for the info. i will look into these and buy one soon. if you had to pick one, which would it be?

i have a set of signature series vandersteen speakers, very laid back, very smooth, great with jazz. all in all, the 4350's are better.

in audio karma forum, one posted that in an audition, most preferred some yamaha ns-1000's over some l-250's. i have both, to my ears the yamahas dont come close. if i listen to mine, i sit them on top of B-380's and bi amp. or i dont listen to them at all.... in the end all is a compromise.

best regards

Quote Originally Posted by rj2077 View Post
    widget, thank you for the info. i will look into these and buy one soon. if you had to pick one, which would it be?
    Cost no object, I'd go with the Pass Labs. If money was an issue, and it usually is, it would depend on what deals I came by along the way. All of the crossovers I mentioned are excellent. I have owned most of them at one time or another and have heard the others on multiple occasions. I have also owned a long list of others that I wouldn't recommend. The one I have the least experience with is the Marchand line. I have heard them a few times, but they were in systems that I wasn't familiar with. The systems sounded good and they are highly regarded by others.

i have a set of signature series vandersteen speakers, very laid back, very smooth, great with jazz. all in all, the 4350's are better.
    I don't find that hard to believe. I have heard several Vandersteens over the years. They typically image very well, but are far from dynamic and don't have the spark of excitement that many JBLs offer.

That said, I am guessing that holographic imaging isn't one of your requirements. There are many great speakers that do not offer this type of 3-D experience. The 4350s are in this camp. While we can and have debated the merits of this type of reproduction and other "hi-fi effects", I am one who does love a deep and wide soundstage where each instrument lives in it's own bit of holographic space. There are precious few speakers that offer excellent imaging of this type and also present an exciting and dynamic life like presentation. I can't think of any that are remotely affordable. Definition of remotely affordable:<$5-10K

Widget

widget, i am just a simple man. i personally do not know any audiophiles where i can audition systems that are holographic. mainly, i do not have trained ears to pick up on all those nuances and subtle details, that many cherish/talk about. maybe one day i can go to a audio convention, and audition some of those high end systems. i have 5-10k, which speakes are holographic? have you noticed, i am full of question?....lol... i need to stop that...

these, 4350's do image well. or, good enough for me.

best regards

these, 4350's do image well. or, good enough for me.
    Be happy... the path that includes imaging/soundstaging excellence (or enhancement,
    in some cases), is a greedy, and often envious mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Be happy... the path that includes imaging/soundstaging excellence (or enhancement,
    in some cases), is a greedy, and often envious mistress.

Widget

thank you grumpy. wise words. guys, these DO sound gooooood.

widget, i looked for some networks on e-pay, but none that you mentioned at this time. i will look into audiogon. i did see a picture of the pass labs, those are sweet looking. what do these go for in the used market?

now, for the next trick. my wife says" you got your early fathers day gift ",
    the everest should be getting here in a week or two, how am i gonna explain those? i will keep you all posted....lol....

best regards

now, for the next trick. my wife says" you got your early fathers day gift ", the everest should be getting here in a week or two, how am i gonna explain those? i will keep you all posted....lol....

best regards
    When's your birthday?

Congrats on getting the 4350's and progressively setting them up. Every adjustment is like setting up a race car - you get closer and closer to what seeing what they can do, and sometimes you get a leap of performance. You might consider moving the 2405 tweeters back up to their original top vertical position and put the blockoff plate on the outer hole. You have to try it to see if there might be improvement in soundstage and imaging.

Good Luck!, especially with the wife!!

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

i will rotate them this weekend and see what that does to the sound. all openings have a block off plate already.

suggestions on cc x-overs. will they make a big difference over stock?

regards

I will rotate and see...all openings...

This is obliviously a custom pair of 4350's (if indeed that’s what they are). From the ebay pictures they were installed vertically... this caused the unique way these speakers were customized and therefore the extra 2405 placement was created. So unless you're going to install these speakers just like the prior owners you need to put the 2405 (slot tweeters) back where they belong. Along with all the rest of the barrage of knowledge & information you’ve received this is just the basis to start from.
    Texas… it’s just not a state… it’s a state of mind!

cc x-overs. will they make a big difference over stock?

Does 1980 verses 2008 technology make a difference?
    Ask the guys over at NASA...

Quote Originally Posted by mbd7 View Post
    cc x-overs. will they make a big difference over stock?

you are right. there are 2 positions for the horn and the UHF left/right side. they made a hole to mount the UHF further. i did not notice that before. i will try the tube amps on these next.

widget, there is a john curl design x-over on e-pay. would you recommend that item?

regards
    Last edited by rj2077; 06-10-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added a question

widget, there is a john curl design x-over on e-pay. would you recommend that item?
    I can't speak for that auction, but yes I would seriously consider the Vendetta crossover.

Widget

thank you all for your help. some of the information given, is beyond me. my wife and i have 5 great kids( same wife).. of which one is in college, 2 play baseball, 1 in dance school, and a 6 month old.. i dont have the time, or wont make the time for some of this technical stuff. if any of you have any simple suggestions that would improve these 4350's, please feel free to chime in and share with me. thank you all....

best regards

Quote Originally Posted by mbd7 View Post
    Texas… it’s just not a state… it’s a state of mind!

Well I dunno.

If you cut Alaska in half...

Texas would THEN be the 3rd largest state!

ROll on Alaska oil and fishing wealth...

Roll on!!

Just having some fun at a Texan's expense. (its what we do up here.)

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Thread Information