Thread: JBL DMS-1 Experience and Measurement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL DMS-1 Experience and Measurement

I finally finished installing JBL DMS-1 monitor. It is too bad the digital technology was very primitive when JBL released DMS-1. I used mastering grade FIR filter, DMG Equilibrium, which is considered to be one of the best sounding digital EQ on the market today, and this monitor sounds absolutely stunning with it. The software is on my music computer, so no extra ADA conversion.

It is as accurate as the best pro monitors
    or high end speakers today, while it still retains THAT classic JBL horn monitor tone. I compared it with my trustful Barefoot MM27 monitor. With DMS-1, JAZZ, Classic, Rock, Dance music, all sound excellent. I agree with Floyde Toole, it has a tendency to play it extremely loud, because it doesn't sound loud at all even at 110dB. The compression driver (2450SL-A) and horn (2332?) can be changed to D2 and more contemporary waveguide without modification, so I may try it in the future, but I’m already more than happy with current configuration.

The attached screen shot is from REW measurament (0 degree, 1 meter). I tested a lot of different crossover methods, and I found Keele Linear Phase method (Linkwitz Lab) at 600Hz sounds the best, compared to any other non linear phase filter method we tested. We all can clearly hear the annoying phase shift with analog style non linear crossover in blind tests performed here. It was almost too easy to detect. Slight pre ringing is visible in the step response, of course, but I honestly can't hear it. One person says he does, but he also prefers linear phase. Measured response is unusually clean both vertical and horizontal for this size monitor. The amp is Aleph J (DIYAudio). I always think Aleph is the best amp for JBL monitors.

Frequency+ Phase, Step, Distortion 2nd, 3rd..., Waterfall.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information