http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...akers/878a.htm

Ok, here's the deal. I have acquired a pair of Altec 878A Santiagos from a local hifi friend, who had in turn acquired them from their original owner here in MA for a very reasonable (virtually cheap) sum. They are in good shape down to the original grilles (some scuffs and water marks, but not bad at all). As it turns out, there is one flaw: One woofer is the orignal 413-8 (3" VC), but the other has been replaced with (to quote my friend) "a Speakerlab knock-off" (of unknown provenance and T/S parameters, I would add).

Thanks to another local hifi guru, there is an opportunity to acquire a pair of Altec 411-8A woofers. This (IIRC) is the woofer used in the 878B version of the Santiagos, with a 4" VC and (presumably) more efficient (and perhaps differing in other ways as well, I don't know).

So here is my simple/simple-minded question. If I were to acquire the 411-8A woofers, can the 878A Santiagos be "converted" to 878B via the construction of a new crossover?

If so... can someone point me to an appropriate crossover design to integrate the 411-8A with whatever driver (I haven't looked) is on the 811B in the Santiago?

I hope that this question isn't too naive!

For the record (and FWIW) the main speakers at my house are a pair of 846A Valencias.

Thanks for your attention!