I'm peeking into this world right now, frankly with a bit of skepticism, but would appreciate comment from the assembled multitude. I've got a nice 5.1 system that is all hard-wired right now. I had been running my speaker wires to the back, over the carpet, and my wife has been marvelously tolerant. The problem is that we've added a couple of 6 month old Labrador retrievers to the family, who are in that "loony" period where they either chew up or stumble over everything. It has necessitated disconnecting the wires, and while my family isn't missing the wires at all, I miss my rear speakers.

The other day we were in Best Buy doing research on universal remotes. The patient wife is also growing tired of four different remotes, but who doesn't get tired of that many? Anyway, she encountered the Best Buy house brand Rocketfish universal wireless rear speaker transmission system, a steal at $109.

I checked the specs and it runs between 15 and 20 milliseconds of latency doing the a/d-d/a thang and only offers 25 watts of power. I'm betting that wouldn't be a problem for movies (especially since I have my rear bass feeding the subwoofer) but might ruin my entire day on my favorite home theater application, concert videos. I checked my Denon receiver and discovered that it doesn't have an adjustment for rear speaker latency. Rats.

So, what say you. Is there a better solution in that ball park? I'm betting we won't spring for a $600 Kenwood system but might be upshopped a little bit from $109 for lower latency and greater power. This is also a very volatile section of the consumer electronics market with products vanishing about every two seconds. I've done some research and keep finding listings for discontinued products. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bob