I already have plans to make a subwoofer with the 1400nd I have on hand--I bought these before the LSR 32's with another idea in mind.

I know the 1400nd is not designed for subwoofer use, although I also know some people have done it. (I've read the G. T. suggests using them in pairs--Does he mean two on each side?) It's designed to work up to the mid hundred Hz and is excursion limited. But I thought the fact that the 1400nd has a neodymium magnet like the woofer in the LSR32 would make the two compatible. Besides, I already owned them.

The LSR32 is so good in it's operating range that I did not want to touch it even to the point of putting an active crossover in front of it. I was going to cut the subwoofer in at 50 Hz and let the LSR32 run full range. It is 3 dB down at 53 (absolutely flat to 60). I thought with the 1400nd and the 252G running together below 50 Hz there would be plenty of bass with room rise.

Now this thing comes along. For making a subwoofer to work with a speaker really good to 60 Hz it must be considered, especially since the 1400nd's would pay for the sub1500s and the cabinets and some SACD's.

I need help with the concept of group delay. I take it from reading that the driver parameters, crossover and enclosure are all factors. Mr. Widget, how bad is it? Since the enclosure type is also part of the filter, would group delay be less in a sealed enclosure? Would placement elsewhere in the room, away from the main speakers but closer to the listening position, help or hurt the group delay issue?

Would expert opinion on transient response prefer the 1400nd in 4.1 ft ported enclosure to the sub1500 sealed in the same size box?

There are probably other questions I should ask.

I need help thinking this through.

Thanks,

David