I'm new to the forum so first I'll say hello to you all and thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Ok, on to this little problem I have:

I am restoring a pair of JBL Aquarius IV speakers for a friend. When I opened up the speakers I was not surprised to find that the surrounds had decayed but I was surpised to find two bass cones that looked rather different to each other.

The bass units are LE8T-2 and the chassis on each one appears to be the same but the cones are different.

It seems that at some point one of the bass units has been reconed. It does not have the white coating on the front of the cone (it is just plain paper). But it does seem to have the same Aluminium dustcap and there seems to be quite a bit of glue around the edge of the dustcap. My first guess was that some how just the cone was replaced leaving the dust cap and motor system in place.

However after checking further I found that the reconed unit is a 4ohm unit! (<3ohms dc resistance).

I have a bit of a dilema here, my friend is interested in keeping these as a working example of a rather esoteric speaker, i.e. he wants to keep them in the original cabinets. However from what I understand it is going to be very difficult to make the Aquarius IV perform as it should without exactly the right drive unit so I am not sure quite what to do.

Is there any chance of getting a genuine equivelent to the LE8T-2 cone? Most people seem to assume it is the same as an LE8T which is not true of course. Can any of you suggest some kind of solution for this problem.

Thanks,

Luke