Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northridge Visit - Day 4

Inside Pro's larger measurement facility showing lift that is used to raise and rotate systems for polar plots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ground plane test setup on the roof of 8400 Balboa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    JBL Consumer's production line. This small line is where all of the high end speakers (K2, Array, 4348 etc) are manufactured. All other series are manufactured off shore.
    Yes... I've known that fact for years but it was still tough to see it in person. All the large production lines and scores of employees are a thing of the past. The last time I was physically on the production floor the L96 was rolling off one of the lines, N96 networks were being assembled by hand, voice coils were being wound by hand, freshly painted baskets were lined up next to stacks of Hawley cone assemblies. There was even a Paragon in mid-assembly.

At least they still have this line and the custom shop.

I would love to have seen JBL's production when it was all domestic. Not to say that these pics are'nt REALLY COOL! Thanks for sharing!!

Seeing that roof shot reminds me of the L212 history...

Thanks!

Oh, BTW- I'd like to order my pair of mini 9800's right away!! where do I sign?

Inside the power test room where SPL's range from 120-140db. Ear protection is a must.
    Hmmm...remember the movie "Coma"?

40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

dancing-dave
    A shot in Greg's office showing the mini K2-S9800's on his bookshelf (guarded by Godzilla).
    Those are just too hot. Any possibility of those being released for us poor folk who only dream of the full-size K2-S9800's?

A shot in Greg's office showing the mini K2-S9800's on his bookshelf (guarded by Godzilla).
    Are those minis from Japan?

I know Harman Japan was actually marketing a line of Mini JBL classics for awhile.
    I think there were 4311s L100s and L88novas
    I have also seen from Japan mini Voice of the Theater systems and even mini-minigons!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Only from the land of Bonsai art! Most Japanese people I know are the coolest geeks ever! I'd simply love to see and own miniature classics like that. How fun! Sign me up!
    It's nice to see JBL's asian market relations are strong. That can only mean good things for us..eventually. We can thank the Japanese for keeping the company alive and profiting. I'm happy!

It looks like some very good things are still to come from JBL. Gonna be a fun ride! I just hope they make more products available to us tightwad americans.

Mini JBLs

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Only from the land of Bonsai art! Most Japanese people I know are the coolest geeks ever! I'd simply love to see and own miniature classics like that. How fun! Sign me up!
    Look here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9978
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Question Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Yes... I've known that fact for years but it was still tough to see it in person. All the large production lines and scores of employees are a thing of the past. The last time I was physically on the production floor the L96 was rolling off one of the lines, N96 networks were being assembled by hand, voice coils were being wound by hand, freshly painted baskets were lined up next to stacks of Hawley cone assemblies. There was even a Paragon in mid-assembly.

At least they still have this line and the custom shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I would love to have seen JBL's production when it was all domestic. Not to say that these pics are'nt REALLY COOL! Thanks for sharing!!

Seeing that roof shot reminds me of the L212 history...

Thanks!

Oh, BTW- I'd like to order my pair of mini 9800's right away!! where do I sign?
    Talk about illusion-shattering. I thought some other lines still rolled out of Northridge. When I cracked open my Performance Series gear, each enclosure stated "Made in USA." All of the drivers, except for the French Audax tweeter stated, "Made in USA."

So, NOT made in USA?
    Out.

Just to be clear, this is not the only production line on site. There is still a huge production line that is mainly devoted to Pro, but also does Infinity. Performance and Synthesis are also still done in house.

Glen,

Thanks for the link. Extremely cool! They made me both laugh and lust at the same time...kinda weird

'Dome,

You're very smart; You certainly know the scoop on Ford or any other "American" auto maker. Ironic that Toyota is the most American car/truck on the market today. So your speakers were made overseas- "it does not affect sound".

Oh, almost forgot:

ooooooooh, ZEBRA WOOD!!! Lookin' sexy!

Thread Information