Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greg Timbers & DIY

Obsolete
    As much as anything, I'm intrigued by the usage of the 1200Fe.

then you offered up your speculation on the crossover points & it then made sense

He would have liked a 4-inch coil in the twelve...

As it is they play very well without the subs. When switched on the subs start rolling off around 70 Hz and the twelves start rolling off around 90 Hz to create the proper acoustic crossover around 80 Hz.

Can you imagine how much that would be retail????

I'd have to add it all up and I'm too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Each of the four stacks consists of the 1500AL, the 1200FE, and prototype Array horns with 435Be and 045Be compression drivers bolted onto them (two stacks as shown in the picture and two behind me in the back corners of the living room). The center channel is the 880 Array prototype.

The sound is effortless - powerful, dynamic, smooth, detailed. No resonances. No smearing. No distortion. No pain. You see horns and know there are compression drivers bolted to them. You don't hear horns with compression drivers bolted to them. Not in any traditional sense. It's a paradox.
    Dood...

So, you got any of the specifics about the signal path - what about preamps, EQ, amps... ??

I'd love to know what he loves to have.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

He would have liked a 4-inch coil in the twelve...
    of course...

I'm not up to speed on the 1200Fe, anyone got some information on it?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    snip...."hey Hon...would it be OK if we didn't travel for 2 years?"
    "hey hon...would it be OK if we didn't EAT for two years?"

But seriously, this is what seperates the domestic market from the overseas market.
    Think how much you have spent (money AND time) on getting to your current speaker set up. Aside from the knowledge you gained, some might prefer to simply buy what they know is an excellent system from the gate and be done with the whole "journey".

I'm almost at that point. I am exhausting myself on this stuff, and why wouldn't I just fork over the coin and let the experts do it for me? I know I cannot build a better DIY than GT....

This is the most excitement I've felt for JBL since I fell in love with the brand in the 70's. Their commitment to quality, engineering and art at all pricepoints stuns me.

JBL has always been there producing exceptional products, but this year is really special. It's a renaissance to the days when the quality of sound ruled.

Now if only we had an abundance of quality source material to match...
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

About the Bass

Regarding the bass, I think it is interesting that he used the 1500AL for 80hz down only, when the only thing slightly less than remarkable that I have ever read about the 1500Al , or the K2 S9800, is the perceived lack of output in the very lowest regions. I always assumed that this was strictly due to the design goals for the K2, and that the 1500AL must be as capable as any driver ever made at low bass.

So, how would you describe the bass specifically? And what size box does he have them in? And last, but maybe most importantly, will the 1500AL ever be available from JBL in the U.S?

Sometimes I think a pair of 1500Al's might outperform my Le10H-1'S with my performance series (wink).

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptical1
    Regarding the bass, I think it is interesting that he used the 1500AL for 80hz down only, when the only thing slightly less than remarkable that I have ever read about the 1500Al , or the K2 S9800, is the perceived lack of output in the very lowest regions. I always assumed that this was strictly due to the design goals for the K2, and that the 1500AL must be as capable as any driver ever made at low bass.
    Bandwidth limiting. The 1500AL is not capable of the same type of response curve when used in the same fashion as say a 2231H or 2235H in something like a 4333B or 4430. We've been over that fact, as well as the use of bandwidth limiting several times before. When used below 60 to 100 Hz it is a capable sub. A1500AL is not a SUB1500 or W1500H. What it does have is superlative articulation and freedom from distortion. Having read different posts on this forum over the past five years I have no doubt that many of you would not find four 1500AL-based subs as inspiring as other sub solutions that have been previously mentioned. And that's fine, it's personal choice. In Greg's living room I didn't hear a ton of loading up going on. The bass was all there and it wasn't at all overpowering. The point is - in my opinion, it fit the room. The two subs in the front are out in the room while the two subs in the back are loaded into the corners. That arrangement in this room seems to be very good at killing off those pesky nodes.

Also, I can't stress enough how good the 12-inch 3-ways sounded without the subs engaged.
    will the 1500AL ever be available from JBL in the U.S?
    Try your favorite JBL Dealer.
    Sometimes I think a pair of 1500Al's might outperform my Le10H-1'S with my performance series (wink).
    I'm thinking probably so...

Ok, that's got to be the fastest disappearing act from Giskard I've seen yet.

I was reading this thread ( and Giskard wasn't there yet) I get out (and I see he's been on) I click back in the thread - it's blank

Wow!!! Thanks Giskard for giving us an inspiring peak into Greg's little secret world.

Will be eagerly waiting for your follow on this and of your trip.

Great work.

Cheers.
    Pasadena

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Ok, that's got to be the fastest disappearing act from Giskard I've seen yet.

I was reading this thread ( and Giskard wasn't there yet) I get out (and I see he's been on) I click back in the thread - it's blank
    It's called staking out the next post slot and then going back and filling it in.

It's called staking out the next post slot and then going back and filling it in.
    I was wondering about that .....

So much to learn here on the forum....I really like that idea....

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena
    Wow!!! Thanks Giskard for giving us an inspiring peak into Greg's little secret world.
    indeeed....

My Lord what a system and all I wanted was a set of L300's,I posted here because some where in the past I made a remark about the new stuff from JBL and not wanting any part of it.I guess I will have to eat my words here.This system looks stunning to say the least and I can imagine what it sounds like.I don't get this feeling often from just looking at some speakers but there is something about these that just makes me want to get a second and third mortage on my house.Looking at these only confirms what I already knew for years,that JBL is indeed still the best on the planet. So much for the L300's.

Absolutely fascinating and very exciting Giskard - thanks from here too.

I am sure there is just a ton of ideas built into these systems, it's great to see G.T.'s years of know-how and experience culminate into a design that hopefully, many can afford.

It just occured to me how clever the idea is for integrating the UHF with the HF horn...outside the box thinking..

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Giskard, if you don't mind, could you let us know what G.T.'s preference in electronic components is? Harman and/or Crown stuff? If this seems out of place or interpreted as an endorsement, don't worry about it. But I really am curious about what someone with his caliber of speaker appreciation might be using, and I couldn't recognize anything in the pic. And is he using active or passive crossovers?

John
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Dood...

So, you got any of the specifics about the signal path - what about preamps, EQ, amps... ??

I'd love to know what he loves to have.
    1. Rega Planar 25 with Pioneer PC1000 II cartridge
    2. Pioneer CLD-D703 Laser Disc Player
    3. Harman Kardon CDR 2 CD burner
    4. Quicksilver Audio Phono Preamp
    5. JVC HR-S5500U SVHS
    6. Lexicon RT-20 multi disk transport
    7. JBL SPP-SWEQ 1/6 Oct equalizer > four 1500AL's
    8. Quicksilver Audio Mono 100 (pair) > front 1200FE's
    9. Lexicon MC-12 > four 1500AL's (run as left/right, 2 per channel)
    10. Levinson ML-3
    11. LG LST-3510A HD Tuner/DVD player
    12. Dish Network 810 Satellite Receiver
    13. Sony DHG HDD500 HD DVR and HD Tuner
    14. Panasonic DMR-T3040 DVD Burner and DVR
    15. Quicksilver Audio Silver 90 > 880 Array Center
    16. DX1, sitting on top of ML-3 > 700 Hz front channel crossover
    17. Mitsubishi WD 52725 RP DLP
    18. Marantz VP12S1 DLP Front Projector
    19. Stewart 92" Firehawk screen
    20. Harman Kardon Signature 1.5 > rear 1200FE's and S9800/435Be's/045Be's
    21. Quicksilver Audio M135 (pair) > front S9800/435Be's/045Be's