Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL PA 13075

and one for the record

with the baffle.
    I knew the're some musicians here..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man, those are "BITCHEN" cabs! All that's missing is my SUNN Model T on top of them! Casters are so nice too! Have fun with them!

Man those are Sweet, It's the 70's all over again.

075 mounting is interesting!

Usually the 075 mounting ring is used behind the baffle board, not in front of it!

Ron

Thanks for the compliments, I think I still owe the forum a report how they SOUND.

And man, I was completely wrong with my first impressions. And so was the first tryout in the basement, all was wrong: the amp was too small, bad room acoustics, not even a stereo placement, they stood face to face on opposite walls, and cabeling was quite a provisorium. All they were sounding was LOUD, but it was already clear to everyone who listened there: they could do better.

Now I brought them up to the ground floor, and had new dedicated cables built with appropriate plugs. And then hooked them up in a bigger room, to another icone of the 70's, this one: http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/9...01810sm9ja.jpg

Those who are familiar with the very sophisticated way Saul Marantz was measuring his products, will know that this unit has way more power to offer than the 125W/channel at 8 ohm, that are stated in the specs. Also I used better equipment for input, feeded them with uncompressed material and what I can say is: these babies are KILLER TWO-WAYs!! The alnico 075s and K130s are outstanding transducers, no doubt anymore why they became that famous. They play very nicely together, the system provides a clean, effortless, very warm and musicalic, just gorgeous sound, and for the lows, that cabs easily blow away all other 12" bookshelf JBLs I have.

And of course they can be used in a home HiFi setup. Sure they are not perfect without a little bit EQ'ing, and audiophile highend users would not be satisfied with the frequency curves, linear or flat they aren't for sure. But oh boy, it's the PURE JBL SOUND, and when it comes to some higher SPL, those are absolutely impressing. The higher power these can stand makes the difference. Especially the K130s give me such a deep and effortless bass response - unbelieavable, this is just another league. I can't await the spring, to carry them to some garden parties, or imagine what these could do for a beach disco, just WOW! Also I had two days now to relisten to many of my favorite music, and when it's about bass, I have to say: 15" rulez!!

To quote another members signature - „enjoy the journey“: man I do, indeed, and I've made quite a huge step forward.

mouth waters..........

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Hey Fangio, that is one thing that has always impressed me about JBL pro stuff. They were surely made for sound reinforcement but can work just as well in a home environment! I have two old monitors with D140's and a JBL horn, angled cabinets. In between home speakers, I often used them in my living room and didn't feel I was missing out on much of anything except maybe pin-point highs. You are right on the money about those 15's IMHO. There is no substitute for cubic inches! Do enjoy the journey!

Hello Fangio!
    My name is Maro and I live in Rijeka, Croatia. I also own two pairs of JBL PA 13075 K, so I was very excited when I found this forum and especially when I registered in and saw Your pictures . They came to me from my father. He once sang in dancing band until late 80 is. Mine JBL' s are not in so nice condition as yours. I use them nowadays for sound reinforcement of all kind of musicians, mostly acoustic and jazz orchestras, school bands and a cappella singers (known as "klapa" in our country) when they came to perform in my area(Crikvenica riviera). From international artist I worked with Beppe Gambetta(Ita),Woody Man and Trio Mundo (NY,USA) Allegre Corea (Bra) and many others. They were mostly satisfied with the sound of those JBL's. I use them in combination with Ev Sx 100+. Unfortunatly, sometimes I used JBL's for rock bands, so after that jigs I had to repair a voice coils of K130 and once for 075. I was so sad at that time, because my father told me that they lost their clarity comparing back to the days when he used them. Sometimes I think to sell them, but then again I think is better maybe to recone them (repair kit) and give them a new life. From one pair of them, the 075 speakers were stolen , with the crossover, so I found a pair of used 2404H and made a new crossover, copying the schematics from other pair, but they never sound like the original pair . Replacement kit in my country is too expensive, but I found some adress in USA(ebay) with price of 99 $ and maybe this is acceptable price. What do You think is this action wortwille (will I get that original sound once again) or is better to sell them and find some modern-plastic speakers? So if You or anyone of the forum people have some time please write, advices are welcome. I would like to attach some pictures of speakers but I do not know how to do this action(I need a help!). Look the length! what is this , a memoirs or something ?!

Best regards,
    Maro

Hello Maro, welcome to the forum.

From the pleasure I have with these two-ways, I'd say keep them! Too sad my pair isn't unique , but joking aside, great to hear there are more alive of these. Don't expect much acceptance though, for the idea of restoring them with 99$ kits from ebay, that sounds like aftermarket. This is Lansing Heritage, and the majority will suggest using original kits from JBL as the only way to bring them back to original specs again. Lets hope some experts for JBL sound reinforcement equipment will chime in here, and help you doing it right.

Good luck.

Never been in Rijeka, but in Split, beautiful part of the world.
    For adding pictures, read this:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=817

Hi Fangio!
    thank you for such a fast response ! I red the instructions, so lets see if I understand something . Have a nice weekend!

...well, not bad, but I put first pict twice , so let's try again with the missing one. Have a nice weekend !

Quick & dirty upgrade to 3-ways

A friend helped me tuning these for better HiFi useability. The left box is a new xover for the K130/075, the small one in the middle integrates new acquired 2420s.
    Ugly, huh.. but they sound incredible, 100% improvement. Highs and mids are adjustable now, much better balanced, just clean and effortless. The weaks are gone, no EQ'ing needed anymore. (And I can hear the 2420s finally, better than lying around while I'm collecting their buddies for 4-ways ).

Anyone interested in the xovers? They are also biamp-ready..

I think you might want to place a small baffle panel between the lens and horn? I think that's what JBL recommended.

Yes, you're right John - gonna build something like a horn-holder - small piece of baffle in front, and an U for the driver, with a connecting piece. Will think about the material and the best way to make it - suggestions of nice existing solutions are much appreciated..

Two more pics

Pretty sure someone will move this to DIY soon..

Thread Information