Thread: JBL; custom L101 or L300

JBL; custom L101 or L300

From recent audition with a custom L101 (custom cabinet housing the LE14a and network with L175+RCA-typed custom wooden horn on top of the cabinet), I realised that I love the sound JBL horn speakers and I have to get a pair.

This custom L101 will cost me around $2.5K. Another choice that just came up is a pair of L300a, with no modification exept the woofers are
    already refoamed. The L300a will cost me around $2K.

What will be more likely a better choice for 1)sound quality 2)long-term value? Is the L300a considered lesser than the previous L300 releases that have Alnico woofer?

I have just start my serious interest in JBL horns few weeks ago, so all of
    the forum members' opinion will be greatly helpful to me.

Thank you very much.

The L300A will keep it's value down the road. Stock L300's do very well. Anything custom or modified needs the "right" person to purchase it. That also seems high for the L101 combo but it really depends on the horn, is it rare??, and how they are modified. The L300 is a 4333 which was JBL's most popular large format monitor. If that's the sound you are looking for I don't see how you could go wrong with them. That said listen before you pull the trigger.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1975-l300.htm

Rob

Rob, thank you very much for your input,

The horn on the L101 combo is newly made out of wood. The L300a's cabinet (from the tiny picture I saw) look very nice, the problem with the
    L300a are as following:

the refoaming of the woofers are not done perfectly,
    the internal wiring are changed from original

According to the seller, the previous owner used a not so professional to
    refoam and modified the internal wiring and binding post. Are these points big minus?

Thank you

Smile Hello woraseth.

Do you mean someone changed the wiring to the internal crossover? Someone who knows what he's doing can put the wiring right, though of course you will have to pay for it unless you or a friend do it for free. If you or your friend don't know for sure how to do it, then find someone who does.

The woofers can be fixed as well, depending on how imperfect they are. Is the foam on the wrong side of the cone, is the surround the incorrect material, or is it just a very sloppy job? Again you can have them refoamed correctly, reconed, or replaced. If the speaker surrounds are very poorly done, then a recone or replacment might be your only options. In any case, this will cost you money.

So, if you want stock L300a speakers that will resell at full market value, they will need to be made correct again, and this will add to your expense of getting them. In that case, $2k is too much IMO.
    Out.

You can build your own "Custom L101" for far less than $2500. Less than half that, most likely.

LE175 would not be the driver I'd choose, either....

Please click "User CP," above, and enable location display in your profile so we know where you are....

Attached Images Attached Images  

Red face

Thanks for all of your input. I am living in thailand and there're not many JBL horns readily available. The pair L300a in question is gone, but I am offered another pair of L300,hopefully in unmodified condition. However,I will have to take an hour flight to the audition.

Will post more progress when I can actually see and listen to another pair
    of L300.

JBL Lancer 101

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    You can build your own "Custom L101" for far less than $2500. Less than half that, most likely.

LE175 would not be the driver I'd choose, either....

Please click "User CP," above, and enable location display in your profile so we know where you are....
    What is wrong with the JBL 175 DLH ? I have heard the same opinion a few times ? Can anyone tell me how these Lancer 101's sound compared f.i. to a pair of JBL 4312 A Control Monitors ?

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

jbl
    I have a neighbor who has the L-101. The 175 sounds good, but as a 2 way it lacks HF extension. Goes out to appx 12K. The L-300 is a 3 way. Generally, I prefer 2 way systems, but not compared to the 175 DLH on my neighbors system.
    The overall sound is "bigger" on the L-300 as well. More realistic and effortless.
    BTW. I've heard both the L-101 and L-300 systems.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jan_slagman
    What is wrong with the JBL 175 DLH ? I have heard the same opinion a few times?
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?p=93589

More test info at the bottom of that page.

JBL's cheapest contemporary compression driver would be a better choice for a two-way like L101. And once you abandon the potato masher, it's a whole new game.

Relying on LE14A for midrange up to 1.5 kHz is, uhmm, "marginal," as well.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L101%20ts.pdf

It's one of the systems that gave LE14A an undeserved bad rep.

[Better than crossing to LE20 at 2 kHz, tho.... ]

L101

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?p=93589

JBL's cheapest contemporary compression driver would be a better choice for a two-way like L101. And once you abandon the potato masher, it's a whole new game.

Relying on LE14A for midrange up to 1.5 kHz is, uhmm, "marginal," as well.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L101%20ts.pdf

It's one of the systems that gave LE14A an undeserved bad rep.

[Better than crossing to LE20 at 2 kHz, tho.... ]
    Hi,
    i am new to this site and just got a pair of L101. My other JBL are 4312 and I find these really better. But i would like to improve my newly found L101...
    You seem to say one can improve the high/medium... but i do not quite understand how...
    could you help please...
    thanks,
    david

Thread Information