Thread: How bad is an LE111A refoamed on the wrong side?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How bad is an LE111A refoamed on the wrong side?

I got the seller of the Craig's List L110s to send me a close up of the refoam job. Looks very nice but the surround is attached to the front of the cone. Now I know it looks wrong (and IS wrong), but other than for reasons of purity, will it harm the sound or the speaker? Should I pass? How do you feel it impacts the value of an otherwise nice pair of L110s? Worth a lower offer?

Thanks,

-Phil

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    Worth a lower offer?
    of course... always worth a shot, right...

sonically, i think this has been gone over -- don't remember the result tho' -- never had to deal with this particular issue....

- Personally, I'd like to see the owners' of such tragedies forced to "part-out" their lame attempts at executing proper repairs.

- Until the "market" recognizes these guys ( the guys' doing the repairs ) are bone-heads, nothing will change.

- Offering false platitudes of reassurance that it just doesn't matter , only exacerbates this festering situation .

- & FWIW , the le111a is not the same as the le111h or the le10h or the le10h-1 ( too bad about that obsolete alnico magnet - what a waste of a good coil ). It has more coil in the gap , giving it a lower Qts figure ( along with a higher BL quotient / so only "truely hopeless" speaker-holics will appreciate these type of figures ). Ie; much less low bass / but a lot more resolution from what's there ( usually appreciated more by the Japanese ).

- Want North American bass for the masses ? Buy some 123a-3(s) or 2213H(s) and enjoy the "plump but firm bassness" that they provide .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - Personally, I'd like to see the owners' of such tragedies forced to "part-out" their lame attempts at executing proper repairs.
    Even sadder when he's paid someone he says is listed as a JBL-authorized repair station to do it for him! (Winston Electronics, St. Louis, if you need to know.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - & FWIW , the le111a is not the same as the le111h or the le10h or the le10h-1 ( too bad about that obsolete alnico magnet - what a waste of a good coil ). It has more coil in the gap , giving it a lower Qts figure ( along with a higher BL quotient / so only "truely hopeless" speaker-holics will appreciate these type of figures ). Ie; much less low bass / but a lot more resolution at what's there ( are you Japanese ? ).

- Want North American bass for the masses ? Buy some 123a-3(s) or 2213H(s) and enjoy the "plump but firm bassness" that they provide .
    Well, I grew up listening to an 030 system which I still use today, 50-years later, in a stereo pair. You might say my ears are used to "much less low bass / but a lot more resolution..."

Thanks for the comments. If I buy them I'll never know what they could have sounded like since I'd be hesitant to try a re-surround. They'd likely need a recone which I figure on these would have to be done for love since it'd be hard to justify the money!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    Even sadder when he's paid someone he says is listed as a JBL-authorized repair station to do it for him! (Winston Electronics, St. Louis, if you need to know.)

I had some woofers reconed by Winston......what a crap job!

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    I had some woofers reconed by Winston......what a crap job!
    FWIW, this is the reply I got from Winston (still listed on the JBL site as an authorized repair facility) when I asked them why the surround was put on the front:
    The reason for gluing on the top of the cone is a sunken spider. This pulls the speaker back up. This does not effect the sound or acoustics of the speaker.
    Now I know next to nothing about this but it would seem that putting the surround in front would, if anything, push the "speaker" downward. Is this a bunch of smoke and mirrors?

Thread Information