Thread: John W's 1" Mini Smith Horns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John W's 1" Mini Smith Horns

John W built this pair of very nice "1200Hz" Mini-Smith horns. He decided that he didn't need them and put them up for adoption and Norealtalent bought them. I intruded on their transaction and asked if they could be diverted on their journey eastward by stopping off in SF for a quick measurement session. I'll follow this post with a few measurement plots, a comparison with it's big brother the 2397, some distortion plots and an interesting discovery.

I was hoping to take physical measurements of his horns and post a drawing of it. Unfortunately they are significantly different from the original 2397 and to accurately make a drawing of them I would need to open one up. Relax, Mr. Talent, I didn't do it. As it turns out these are very nice little 1" throat horns and I know I would appreciate it if John could share his dimensions with us.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a plot that compares two 2425s, an LE85 and an LE85 with a 2421 diaphragm all mounted to one of the Mini Smith horns. (All drivers were provided courtesy of Zilch) All measurements were taken at ~1m on axis with great care taken to avoid moving the horn during driver changes. The horn and driver were perched on top of one of my loudspeakers that is ~45" tall and ~24" wide. Since my room has a ceiling height of just over 10', the ideal location would put the center of the driver at 5'... I figured ~4' was good enough. I also put a 24" by 48" sheet of 3" Sonex over my speaker's baffle to reduce any reflected sound.

First I shot the 2421... I wasn't that impressed. Next I shot the stock LE85... it looked pretty damned good. It made me suspect the condition of the first driver. Next I shot one of the 2425s.... whoa??? That's odd. I would expect HF differences, but lower frequencies shouldn't vary that much. I tried the next 2425??? Essentially the same response??? Could they both be damaged somehow? (The two 2425 measurements were in error. I'll explain in a minute.)

Here is a plot comparing the distortion of the LE85 and one of the 2425s. It is difficult to read with all of these plots on one graph, but interestingly both 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion were higher with the LE85. Giskard may have some JBL Data on this... I'll speculate that this LE85 has passed it's "use by" date.

Now I wanted to compare the LE85 on the Mini Smith and also on a 2397 with a 2327 adapter. But first... the mystery of the harsh midrange measurements on the 2425s is solved. I put the LE85 back on the Mini Smith horn and shot it again as a quality control.... oops. Now it had the same peaks and dip at 1800Hz as the 2425s. I noticed that the Sonex had slipped down the baffle about 4-5" exposing some wood below the lip of the horn. I moved the Sonex back up and the curve straightened right up... it was exactly as the first round. This isn't simply a measurement anomaly... running the MLS noise I could hear the difference. The implications for those of us using this... and most likely most other horns is huge. I will be looking into this more deeply later.

Anyway, back to the comparison. I placed the LE85 on the Mini Smith with the properly adjusted Sonex and generated a plot, and then changed the set up putting the front lip of the much larger 2397 in about the same location as the Mini Smith's was. Obviously with the 2328 and 2327 adapters combined with the much larger horn, the driver was significantly further away. Anyway as can be seen from the curves, the little guy does a much better job from 1600Hz up than the adapted 2397.

I am sorry that I didn't run through the 2425s again, but I am beat and I think we have a pretty good idea how the little horns work. Based on what I saw with the Sonex misplaced on the LE85, the 2425 plots are reasonably accurate above 2.5KHz, and below that I would expect that they would track the first two drivers pretty closely.

Widget

Very impresive "little horn"!@!
    Always fun learning more.......

Nice work guys.

Ian

Thanks Mr. Widget for taking the time to put these to the test. I am a little relieved that they seem to pass muster.
    I am a little curious about the baffle diffraction in your test set up. It would be nice to see a picture of how that came about.
    As far as dimensions are concerned, I followed the plans that where nicely drawn up in the original 1200hz horn thread here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5454
    The only deviation I made was to pull the throat opening back even with the arc made by the fins and carve a smooth transition from round to square.

John,

Very nice work.

Pending the measurement conditions and mounting of the horn within a baffle the response may well be smoother than it appears.

For comparison here is a scan of an IMP measurement done on my JBL 2397 horn with an JBL adapter using my JBL 2420 driver with a JBL DR82525 titanium diaphram. A 077 slot extends the response above 10,000 hz and small cone driver below 1000 hz. The purpose of these measurements was to develop a passive crossover network. The time interval seperating the drivers can be seen on the time displacement trace.

The detail is in the devil. The IMP had a calibrated mic file. The measurement was done at 2 metres with the 2397 resting on a table with the front lip extending over the edge. The a professional measurement mic was mounted on a camera tripod. Heavy open cell foam was placed underneath the horn and above attached to a light fitting.

As you can see the response is very smooth apart from the dip of about 4.5db at 1000 hz which was a crossover issue. The divisions are 5 db .

These measurements were arranged by an engineer, Doug Tipping in late 1997 (as can be seen from the date)

I quite liked this horn although I no longer have the 2397 or the adapter.
    They were sold and shipped to someone in the USA at great expense!

Based on your work I maybe tempted to build a mini smith horn!

Ian

Thread Information