Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refoaming prices on rise?

Question Refoaming prices on rise?

This may not belong here since JBL officially does not recommend refoaming as opposed to reconing. Please move it to the correct location if need be.

I took a pair of 2214H woofers to Don Ramon's in Los Angeles for new foam surrounds. I checked the Web site before I went, and also emailed to confrim the price of $30 each.

When I got there, I was quoted $45 each. Fortunately, I had a copy of the email, and a quick, on site check of the Web site confirmed the $30 price there, even though their new in-shop manual now quoted $45.

I got it for $30 each, but may be the last one to get that price. I also noticed they had copies of the price lists for other reconer/refoamer shops in the area, including Orange County Speaker, and it looked like eveyone's prices were as high or higher.
    Out.

I actually charge a little more than that...price is dependant on the woofer size for generics, and higher for premiums like JBL. It takes time, skill and patience to do the job right...and foam prices are increasing with the price of oil. If a recone runs close to $200.00 or even higher you can bet the refoam prices will be more expensive on that driver too...if you want premium work done, and done well with the right surround.

I think you'd agree that SoCal is not an inexpensive place to live and do business.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Higher oil prices maybe

Here is my theory:

Foam is a petroleum based product. The cost of the raw materials, the manufacturing and the transportation of the materials and finished goods are thus higher...the market is begining to see the effects now...
    Paying debt to Karma...

Talking Finally, a bargain in SoCal.

I felt $30 was an excellent deal, which is why I confirmed it by email. Basically, they hadn't updated their Web site for a long time. I think they'll update soon.

Edgewound have you ever been to Don Ramon's shop? They've got to give a guy some kind of price break to get him to go into the area. It's pretty tight around there. I always make sure I've got my qui es mas macho posture when I get out of the car, and that loco look on my face.

The shop is a real clutter, but it kinda looks and smells right for an old speaker/hi-fi/pro shop. They do nice work, too, usually on the correct side of the cone. (I usually mention that for confirmation. )

BTW, $60 for the pair means I've got $420 into those XPL200s now. If I can keep it under $500, I'll be stoked. I've still got to do something about the 095Ti diaphragm and the finish. The 095Ti is the only real question mark.
    Out.

Are you saying they re-foamed 12" JBLs for $30 each? Including the surround?
    With six surrounds and a pair, each, of L150A and L112s sitting here waiting for me to get the time, I find those prices unbelievably cheap for any skilled craftsman. What do these places pay their techs per hour? I think you'd get maybe three spark plugs changed in a BMW for $45!

My own estimate, having never done surrounds before (but having spent two hours searching and reading about it on this site ), is that I'll spend at least four hours per surround, maybe slightly less on the PR300s which I plan to start with. I've got about $75 in kits here and about 24 labor hours ahead of me. My math says my time would have to be worth about four-dollars an hour for me to even start saving money on DIY. Did I miss something?

JBL Dog
    I paid $50 each for 2114H's five years ago. $30 is WAY below current market value. That will be a break-even proposition at best for the shop. But, if it's advertised, they did the right thing by honoring it.

Smile

Yes, they did the right thing, and yes, it's really that cheap.

I've done business there before, including some LE14H-1 refoams. They did nice work.
    Out.

RIP 2009
    As I recall, the latest time I checked with the local dealer, 12" surrounds were over $60 here.

John

Exclamation $60

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    As I recall, the latest time I checked with the local dealer, 12" surrounds were over $60 here.

John
    I feel lucky.

'Til next time anyway.
    Out.

John
    That's about right...for JBL's anyway....give or take...depending on the model.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

We've been charging $45.00 each for refoaming 122As, 128Hs and 2214s... however, remember that Atlanta is one of the cheapest cost-of-living areas in the country. And, we probably will be going up a bit, soon...

Regards,
    Gordon.

My yet-unasked question could be: "How much do you charge for re-surround on a 128H after I screw it up?"

-Phil

Shop labor rate:
    $85/hour
    $95/hour if you watch
    $125/hour if you help

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    My yet-unasked question could be: "How much do you charge for re-surround on a 128H after I screw it up?"

-Phil

Shop labor rate:
    $85/hour
    $95/hour if you watch
    $125/hour if you help
    And $1000/hr if you need it done before we start. Time travel is expensive, you know...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Reasonable Re-foam facility

I have no affiliation with this place but I have done 5 transactions with the People at Millersound Labs, in Lansdale, PA. I ship the drivers to them, and usually have them back as good as new the following week.
    215-412-7700 ask for Bill. Probably quicker for an east coaster!

RIP 2009
    OK - I just got a current email reply from them - they charge $70 for both 8" and 12" resurrounds! But they are also a JBL authorized repair center, and have always done good work for me, (but now I try to do it myself...). Also, they're in Marin County, one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S.

John

Thread Information