Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2404 Discontinued ????

2404 Discontinued ????

I just heard from a vendor that JBL discontinued the 2404. Can someone confirm this is true??

Maron Horonzakz
    Maybe they will replace it with a 045be with baby cheeks. But then again maybe they are dropping all tweeters because us old timers cant hear mutch above 10K

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    But then again maybe they are dropping all tweeters because us old timers cant hear mutch above 10K

Quote Originally Posted by Lutz
    I just heard from a vendor that JBL discontinued the 2404. Can someone confirm this is true??
    Yeah, I finally got around to it...

The 2402H has a last build date in June of this year and 150 will be built. 125 are already spoken for.

The 2404H is apparently a thing of the past as there appears to be no plans for a final production run.

The 2405H is also a thing of the past. There are 43 left in stock from the final production run last year.

BTW - According to JBL the place with the largest selection of vintage JBL repair parts is Scott Fitlin's favorite place - Consolidated Audio

Maron Horonzakz
    Whats JBL doing? Commiting suicide?

Whats JBL doing? Commiting suicide?

I doubt that. Either they don't see a need or have the demand to continue production. With all the used drivers about and diaphrams available I wonder just how many new drivers they actually sell??? They are not used in any of the newer systems and seem to support only the vintage products for replacements. The 075/2402 goes back to the 1956 catalog. A 50 year run! Not to shabby.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I doubt that. Either they don't see a need or have the demand to continue production. With all the used drivers about and diaphrams available I wonder just how many new drivers they actually sell??? They are not used in any of the newer systems and seem to support only the vintage products for replacements. The 075/2402 goes back to the 1956 catalog. A 50 year run! Not to shabby.

Rob
    True, with the advent of the Line Array, the " tweeter " has become obsolete. But, and people will learn this, sometimes, for certain applications, NOTHING works as well as a ring radiator!

As for the 2402 being 50yr old technology, it works, and is or was the very best of its kind, and still to this day!

If you ask my opinion, I have heard systems, including Vertec, with horns that go all the way up, but, without tweeters, it isnt the sound I am looking for.

As has been the case with many products from a different era, that the JBL tweeters, particularly the 2402 and 2405, still hold their own and outdo most other brands similar products, including the original manufacturers JBL products of current, is a testament to the solid engineering and brilliant minds that built these things.

scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    As has been the case with many products from a different era, that the JBL tweeters, particularly the 2402 and 2405, still hold their own and outdo most other brands similar products, including the original manufacturers JBL products of current, is a testament to the solid engineering and brilliant minds that built these things.
    Yep, there's a ton of them out in the field and they are usually serviceable. Short of people tossing them in the trash there should be enough for those who require them.

First it's the E-series and now these are discontinued.....somehow feels like somethings missing.......

any reasons why after 50 years these are no longer needed new??

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    First it's the E-series and now these are discontinued.....somehow feels like somethings missing.......

any reasons why after 50 years these are no longer needed new??
    I thought we covered that. If they were flying off the shelves JBL would make them. They aren't going to stop making something that pays the bills.

"If they were flying off the shelves JBL would make them."

by Giskard.

Well damn, I've been doing my part to buy them all.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Obsolete
    Ok! Geez! I'll ask why at some point.
    Not that I really care mind you; But rather because you all seem to care so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I thought we covered that. If they were flying off the shelves JBL would make them. They aren't going to stop making something that pays the bills.
    yeah..I know, I know...It's just sad to see them stop making them....they were around for so long ......

BUT there's also the new stuff ....

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Ok! Geez! I'll ask why at some point.
    Not that I really care mind you; But rather because you all seem to care so much.
    mostly nostalgia for me...I remember being 9 and reading all about the D-series and stuff... well it's the full end of an era...

..enough of this emotional stuff.....

Obsolete
    I hear ya!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    mostly nostalgia for me...I remember being 9 and reading all about the D-series and stuff... well it's the full end of an era...

..enough of this emotional stuff.....
    I hear ya too. We love what we know and hate to see it fade away.

With JBL's formidable R&D and new products, the foreign manufacturers will have a whole new crop of top line transducers to reverse engineer and try to copy at lower prices...and quality/durability. When they get it close to right, hopefully more new, innovative stuff arrives.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information