Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2242H Subs for Big Bass

Yeah, I hear about this also. That why Im also auditioning Lab Gruppen.

I also want to try some QSC.

What I know for now, is that for these subs to deliver what I want, I am going to need power.

But, with the right amp, the ported subs can sound really tight, with alot of slam.
    scottyj

RIP 2009
    So when do we finally get to see pics of your bumpercar system? ('Been waiting over 2 years... )

John

BTW - ProMedia/UltraSound used to use Crest amps exclusively, but have recently starting using Lab Gruppen's also.

John

In September, I will install all the new stuff, and then I will finally post pics online.

Right now Im just too busy to start tearing things apart.

All the major pro sound companies are using Lab Gruppen. QSC also has high respect in the pro world for sound quality, and reliability. Crowns new amps have that Crown sound, but only gets sketchy marks for reliability. The one thing I hear most about the I Techs is they are glitchy. DSP programming just has bugs I guess.

I will be changing out processing too. Going back to Crown MX-4,s and a Crown VFX-2A, THIS DOES WORK!
    scottyj

Hello
    I have heard the same thing about the I Techs, and they will add some latency delay due to the internal DSP that could effect overall system time alignment.
    The QSC PL6 is rated at about 2000 into four ohms, a friend of mine uses one of them on a pair of EAW subs with very good results. The QSC PL9 is rated at 3500 into four ohms, it's now out of production but can still be found. It was taken out of production due to intermittent power supply quirks that could not be traced to any one cause.
    Another amp to look at would be a Camco Vortex.

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    The one thing I hear most about the I Techs is they are glitchy.
    Not what my source told. They reported the I Tech's wouldn't sustain their rated power output for any time at all. I was told to "put a meter on them and send 'em 200Hz (or whatever...) and watch the power output just fade...".

This was from, shall we say, a potentially sizeable buyer of whatever - they completely know the gear and thoroughly test everything (particularly the stuff they don't buy...).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Not what my source told. They reported the I Tech's wouldn't sustain their rated power output for any time at all. I was told to "put a meter on them and send 'em 200Hz (or whatever...) and watch the power output just fade...".

This was from, shall we say, a potentially sizeable buyer of whatever - they completely know the gear and thoroughly test everything (particularly the stuff they don't buy...).
    I know they dont really put out 4000wpc@4ohms. But the amp did make the 2242,s come to life.

I also getting ready to listen to a Lab, and the QSC PL6. As for the PL6, my freind Shorty used them to power some Levan Horns ( JBL 2242 loaded ) he sold a club in Acapulco, a place called Palladium, and he said the punch was unF&^king believable, and the reliability was 100% industrial workhorse. So, this amp is also a big consideration. Another big thing in QSC,s favor is their service and warranty. Known to be the best. You got an amp with problems, it gets taken care of, PERIOD! Crowns service since they were taken over has pissed many pros off.

It will come down to whatever sounds the best, thats all there is to it.

But I woke up, and once I fed these woofers in Widgets well built cabinets, I saw what the deal is. They come alive with the right power, they sound great with big power, and the sub bass from them will be incredible once installed and set up correctly.

One thing that truly impresses me with the JBL 2242, is the clean sound with high power, and it never sounds objectionable. But they need high power, I feel more than the Crown 3600, at least for me.
    scottyj

Im also going back to ALL Crown crossovers, that wass the best sound I ever had, MX-4,s and a modified VFX-2A. And with this, I can do higher power in my full range, as in Brystons on my 15,s and horns.

We tried the MX-4,s driving Bryston amps, at Shortys house in his system. Hes a Bryston freak, and we compared the same amps and speakers, with both the Bryston 10B,s and the Crown MX-4,s. I loved the way the Brystons sounded with the MX-4,s driving them, really grand.

Crossovers have a huge effect on the systems voice.
    scottyj

crown crossovewr

I loved my crown vfx-2a until it broke. Something with the power supply, I havn't had time to fix it yet though. I'm using a BSS FDS 360 with 18db slopes now and like that alot also. I agree the crossover has a huge impact on the overall sound.

Allen

Well, well, I got my hands on a QSC PL6II, I tested it out as best I could. NICE amp, tons of punch, maybe not as much grunt as the Crowns, but really super tight and punchy, what I call a lean, mucular bottom end with sharply defined basslines. I was seriously impressed. The 2242,s handled the PL6 with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I havent recieved the Lab Gruppen yet, BUT, unless its so dramatically superior sonically to whats available from the US, I would be inclined to keep my components American IF I can! One thing stands to reason for sure, QSC PowerLights are American made, QSC has the BEST reputation for standing behind their product, everyone praises QSC for their service and turnaround times, and after all, its American made with the manufacturer right here in our backyard!

The QSC blew the doors off the Crown I Tech! I liked this amp with the JBL 2242,s in Widgets cabinets, I really did!

Bombastic!
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    glad you have been having some 'you time' lately Scott....

I am trying to get my grubby little hands on a pair of 2242Gs right now...

I think i would be all set then....

I ordered a QSC PL6.0II to drive the subs, my body and ears said this one kicked ass.

scottyj

I ordered a QSC PL6.0II to drive the subs, my body and ears said this one kicked ass.

Give it a very stiff power supply.

Definitely! The amp will be on its own 30 amp breaker, nothing else on that circuit.

My AC power runs pretty good, never drops below 119v, except last week, during the heatwave, when the utility deliberately cut power back, and then I had 111v.

I should be able to run this amp with no problems.

It does kick ass, really punches out that bottom. Its also supposed to be really terrific with 2 ohm loads. Which is how I will be running the amp, 4 woofers per channel. Nominal 875 watts per driver.

scottyj

steveh
    [quote=scott fitlin]Im also going back to ALL Crown crossovers, that wass the best sound I ever had, MX-4,s and a modified VFX-2A. And with this, I can do higher power in my full range, as in Brystons on my 15,s and horns.

Scott, could you explain what was done to the VFX-2A to modify it ? Your new Widget Builts are in a league of their own, congratulations.

[quote=steveh]
    Im also going back to ALL Crown crossovers, that wass the best sound I ever had, MX-4,s and a modified VFX-2A. And with this, I can do higher power in my full range, as in Brystons on my 15,s and horns.

Scott, could you explain what was done to the VFX-2A to modify it ? Your new Widget Builts are in a league of their own, congratulations.
    Yes, I can tell you this, it is really quite simple, and even the techs said Crown should have offered the VFX-2A like this years ago.

I had 4 front panel output level attenuators added to the unit. since I am a fan of running my amp front panel level controls wide open, I wanted to be able to control level from the xover. And, now I can use the balanced input with its adjustable input gain, and balance out level wise at the crossovers.

My service tech offered me several options on the mods as well. Output gain, output buffers, and they used the BEST Clarostat conductive plastic pots available., and the aluminum knobs from a Crown Macro Tech amp. Looks factory, and works amazing!

Its a great xover, and some say it can benefit from upgrading parts too. Ill tell you this though, as a crossover for subs and tweeters, which is what I will be doing with it, its unparralled in its complete flexibility. Even for adding subs to an existing system, it offers the user complete freedom to choose the freq you need. You can do as much overlap as you want, or as little. So, you could cut your subs in at 100hz, or whatever you choose, then run your full range from 30hz on up. You just cant do this with any other crossover.

I happen to love the way this old unit sounds, we had it like this years ago, and now, it, ( a used one I got off ebay, recently modded and checked out ) is goin back to work. It will drive a QSC PL6.0II which will be the engine to run the Widgies!

Should be BODACIOUS! In my warehouse, the 6.0II had the whole building shakin.

scottyj

Thread Information