Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 4320 Project

The system evolves again!!

Over the weekend I bought a pair of L200 cabinets (unbadged) from a seller in Aberdeen, MD. Sunday I moved my 2215s and 2420/2307/2308 driver/horn/lens parts into the box. I've got the 3133 crossover and 2405 slots on top for now, but I plan to mount them in the JBL 2800 boxes that hold the currently unused 2123 Midbass. Long term plans are to make this whole thing into a 2 box version of the 4344s - much work to do ...

The L200s were the consumer version of the 4320 Monitors, parts are virtually interchangeable (2215 = LE15, etc) but the L200s have more WAF, and if I find a set of 4343/4344/4345s cheap, the L200s will sell quicker than the old beaterbox 4320s. They have become ...
    The Phoenix Project!!

Anyway - they aren't 4320s anymore, so the thread continues here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=L200+Aberdeen

And the empty 4320 boxes & grills?? They're going to BMWCCA this weekend - so its his project now!

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    yes.... much more Feng Shui friendly....
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    They have become ...
    The Phoenix Project!!

Anyway - they aren't 4320s anymore, so the thread continues here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=L200+Aberdeen

And the empty 4320 boxes & grills?? They're going to BMWCCA this weekend - so its his project now!
    You kids meeting in the middle, or are you heading South with Emma on Sunday? Don't want to rudely invite myself, but let me know if there's going to be a Pow-Wow in my backyard, or if I could be a convenient meeting point for you both. I'd be happy to host you, even if it's just for a transfer of goods from CR-V to BMW. My van's here, too if BMWs don't fit big project speakers, let me know if I can help at all.

je

P.S. I brought Jean to Gayle's so she could see the hams, all we bought was bacon but we'll be back- thanks for the tip.

Phil's headed my way Sunday - gonna fit it in with a run visit inlaws up here I think. Emma's moved the church service from 6PM to 4 PM so she'll head out earlier and be home sooner. I don't usually go with her - Sunday's my decompress time, play loud music, etc ...
    I'm recovering from this flu bug thing - today's the first day back at work - Emma may be getting it now (!) ...
    Gotta pick up glass tonight for L200 speaker tops - protection for the wood!
    Maybe I'll have time to bore holes in the 2600 baffleboards so I can mount the 2405s soon ...

Not - enough - hours ...
    must - focus - efforts -
    must - not - sway ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    You kids meeting in the middle, or are you heading South with Emma on Sunday? Don't want to rudely invite myself, but let me know if there's going to be a Pow-Wow in my backyard, or if I could be a convenient meeting point for you both. I'd be happy to host you, even if it's just for a transfer of goods from CR-V to BMW. My van's here, too if BMWs don't fit big project speakers, let me know if I can help at all.

je

P.S. I brought Jean to Gayle's so she could see the hams, all we bought was bacon but we'll be back- thanks for the tip.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Gotcha- Jean's going to FLA to visit her mother all next week, so it'll be loud music & motorcycling all week while she and the puppies are gone...

je

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    must - not - sway ....
    Heh, heh.

Your two-way L200 evaluation kit has shipped.

[Gonna be interesting.... ]

Big time fun! Thanks Zilch.

So - should I buy that AudioGone guy's gainclone for $200 that spwal has been talkin' about to run me tweets?

He says 50w/ch of clean sound - separate p/s - http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1178422173

You know Storm would never appreciate it ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Heh, heh.

Your two-way L200 evaluation kit has shipped.

[Gonna be interesting.... ]

The "Kit" includes a $30 T-Amp to run the HF.

[It's 10 watts, and you'll never get it past 9:00.... ]

The thread Moves on ....
    after working with the 4320 cabinets and various add on parts, I got a pair of L-200 cabinets (much more spouse-friendly!) , and moved the drivers and crossovers into them!

Follow the thread here:

Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Been 8 years since big JBLs came into my life!

Feb 18, 2006, we made a trip to Top 10 Music in Glenolden, PA to pick up a pair of 4320 speakers I won through an ebay auction ...

Hard to believe all that's passed since that day 8 years ago!

Before them, all I knew of JBL was my friend Jimmy's L100s and the L-36 decades I bought new in 1976 ...

Well, I would say you made it around the block at least twice!!
    Always fun learning more.......

I'd almost die for a pair of empty ones (I got all the bits), at an affordable price, here in Australia, just to add to the collection.
    They're still quite a good box when used sensibly. (and a couple of minor mods to x-o's etc)
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Cool Restoring and repairing 432/2? Advice and help please..

Hi JBL fans and speaker devotees.

I bought a pair of 4320's with the added JBL 075 bullet tweeter a lot of years ago, and then emigrated, and they've been sitting in storage ever since...

In the meantime, some sub-human thieves broke into my property and stripped the 15" drivers from the cabs, and also one 075 bullet tweeter and an L91 acoustic lens, and ran off. :-( Why steal one tweeter and one lens?) My original and beautiful 15"s are probably in the back of some deaf idiots car now, as subs.. (mmm... where's my shotgun?)

So, originally the cabs were veneered but someone had taken a sander to the tops to 'clean them up' and destroyed the veneer. I sanded and sealed the carcasses and rollered them with grey paint with added sawdust in the paint roller tray. Excellent finish now, and they look great. I want to use them as my main studio monitors, so I'm almost happy ( and I will be totally happy if I can decide how to proceed from here).

I bought a pair of JBL Northridge 15" drivers as replacements last week (330757-001's ) and I realise that they are not as per the original JBL 15"s specs (they are 98db sensitivity and 225 w. rms into 8 ohms ) but am I likely to be able to tell the difference? Or, alternatively, should I use the 15"s elsewhere, and try to locate an original and correct replacement vintage pair of JBL 15"s... ??

I also wonder about the bullet. Many people say that omitting the tweeter is smoother and gives not such a harsh top-end but still retains a smooth upper-end detail. Is this true? (I have the original twin side-by-side crossovers in each cab) but have no knowledge of what they sound like without, and as per their original spec. Now I have bass drivers, I can of course test them and disconnect the one bullet I have.

Do you think I'm better to try to buy a single replacement JBL 075 bullet (not cheap) or sell the 075 I have, and buy something like a new pair of;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33359-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Titanium-Bullet-Tweeter-Speaker-300-W-8-ohm-18-Oz-/271040890280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1b4b c5a8

Alternatively buy a pair of ribbon tweeters at 30 watt handling each and craft the cab fronts to suit?

what would you excellent JBL folks recommend please? and has anyone got a spare L91 lens that they want to sell? or should I buy a new plastic replacement pair from Japan. ?

Has anyone any opinions about the new wooden lenses?

I'm using two pairs of JBL Control 5's and a JBL sb5 as mid field monitors just now, and they're really great, (excellent and very underrated speakers) but I really want to install the 4320's with or without the original 075 bullets, or maybe with bullet / ribbon substitutes, as my main studio monitors.

all assistance and advice (and if possible an L91 lens :-) gratefully received (and the lens purchased of course) :-)

regards

ritchie
    bg (Bulgaria)

I would recommend your getting a pair of JBL 2235H woofers and put them in your cabinets. They are the more modern and arguably superior woofer designed to go in those cabinets. You can order a replacement L91 lens from Kenrick Sound in Japan. Here they are on eBay. I believe they will sell singles.

Don't know what to say about the tweeters. If they were mine, I would look for a clean pair of JBL 2405s or 077s.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by ritchie View Post
    Hi JBL fans and speaker devotees.

Do you think I'm better to try to buy a single replacement JBL 075 bullet (not cheap) or sell the 075 I have, and buy something like a new pair of;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33359-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Titanium-Bullet-Tweeter-Speaker-300-W-8-ohm-18-Oz-/271040890280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1b4b c5a8

Alternatively buy a pair of ribbon tweeters at 30 watt handling each and craft the cab fronts to suit?

what would you excellent JBL folks recommend please? and has anyone got a spare L91 lens that they want to sell? or should I buy a new plastic replacement pair from Japan. ?

ritchie
    bg (Bulgaria)

Hi RITCHIE,

I would suggest you to buy JBL driver of the same type ALNICO (075) or FERRITE (depending your type), and if its diaphragm is wrong to buy Original D16R2402 .
    I have bad experience with "aftermarket diaphragm", and would not suggest anybody to use them.

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi RITCHIE,

I would suggest you to buy JBL driver of the same type ALNICO (075) or FERRITE (depending your type), and if its diaphragm is wrong to buy Original D16R2402 .
    I have bad experience with "aftermarket diaphragm", and would not suggest anybody to use them.

regards
    ivica
    Thanks for both replies..

1) How would I tell if my remaining 075 tweeter is alnico or ferrite? It has the single side -bolted circular frame retainer, that slips over the front of the bullet and retains it in the port, and it's not the front- 4 x screw-mounting model.

2) Is the Northridge JBL 2235H woofer so much different to the Northridge JBL 330757-001 woofer?

advice really appreciated and thanks again..

regards richard
    bg

Thread Information