Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 4320 Project

jbl
    Hi Heather,
    NIce project. The bass issue (lack of bass) when you moved the cabinets to the top of the audio/video rack from the floor, is the result of:
    The rack itself. The low frequencies are absorbed in the wood. The window behind the speaker cabinets is also a factor. The bass energy is also absorbed there.
    The best location is on the floor next to 2 walls. I have my 4507 cabinets as follows:
    The left side is next to a sliding door and a solid wall behind. There is a great deal of low frequency loss due to the sliding door. The low frequency energy is used to move the doors.
    The right side is located at a 90 degree point. 2 solid walls. Bass response is extended. Both speakers are on the floor.

Try moving the cabinets where you first had them and listen for a while.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    Hi Heather,
    Nice project. The bass issue (lack of bass) when you moved the cabinets to the top of the audio/video rack from the floor, is the result of:
    The rack itself. The low frequencies are absorbed in the wood. The window behind the speaker cabinets is also a factor. The bass energy is also absorbed there.
    The best location is on the floor next to 2 walls. I have my 4507 cabinets as follows:
    The left side is next to a sliding door and a solid wall behind. There is a great deal of low frequency loss due to the sliding door. The low frequency energy is used to move the doors.
    The right side is located at a 90 degree point. 2 solid walls. Bass response is extended. Both speakers are on the floor.

Try moving the cabinets where you first had them and listen for a while.

Ron
    Thanks for the tip, Ron, but without a complete rework of my entertainment room, there's really no place on the floor for them. Of course, I will have to pull them down off the shelf at some point just to pull the crossovers, and rework those into external crossovers (maybe like the ones Ian built) for 4-way use at first, then I can bypass part and biAmp them later. I also had a call earlier today that my Citation 22 has been checked out and repaired - I can pick it up later this week.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The project Moves forward

Its been over 6 months since I put the upgraded speakers on the shelves, and - I really miss the sound the speakers had closer to the floor. I've also got long term plans to rebuild these parts into a 4344 clone - but thats more long term. This weekend's project is to unpack the CDs and move their shelves into the front room - so I have floor space to bring the speakers down.

Compare the image to my avatar - so far I moved 2 of the shelves and go one speaker down onto some wheels - and brought down the smaller JBL cabinet I mounted the 2123 in - tho without a 4 way crossover its not yet connected.

But I can hear a renewal of the low bass just from the right speaker being down near the floor again!

I need to bring the left speaker down, then move the dual CD rack to the front room, take down the turntable and the gear on that top shelf, move the TV cabinet over a few feet, roll the teak equipment rack in beside it, and put the other speaker on wheels in the left corner ...

Maybe start on that tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Glad to see you progressing toward your goal, Heather.

Just as important as the additional bass reinforcement will be having the midrange and tweeter nearer to ear level. I'm sure that acoustically you will like the new arrangement.

"Front room"--this expression reminds me of my father who always used it instead of "livingroom." Must be a regional colloquialism you share, but we are from upstate New York. Perhaps it is just "country."

David

Well, I think my kin used to call the front room "the parlor" - but to me, that denotes a room you use to entertain folks who are aren't coming very far into the home, perhaps a less-close neighbor or salespeople ...
    Anyway, our living room (the "front room") has a cathedral ceiling, skylights, bookshelves and an amazing assortment of plants. Too visible from the street for big screen TVs or big speakers. We don't have much electronics there - didn't even have a phone in that room until recently. Its really more a reading room than anything else. Very comfy.

But thanks for the comments on sound placement - I'm excited to see how this goes!
    I'm still learning what these speakers can do ... It hasn't even been a year since I got them - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=9273

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Glad to see you progressing toward your goal, Heather.

Just as important as the additional bass reinforcement will be having the midrange and tweeter nearer to ear level. I'm sure that acoustically you will like the new arrangement.

"Front room"--this expression reminds me of my father who always used it instead of "livingroom." Must be a regional colloquialism you share, but we are from upstate New York. Perhaps it is just "country."

David

Hi, Heather.

Try this: turn off the midrange and then listen for the vertical beamwidth of the slot tweeter, moving up and down. That's the window you must be listening in to hear it well; it's a relatively narrow 25° at 16 kHz according to the text here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2405.pdf

The slot has to be aimed at or near ear level for best listening....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Hi, Heather.

.... it's a narrow 25° at 16 kHz according to the text here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2405.pdf

The slot has to be aimed at or near ear level for best listening....
    It's just a thought, but you could also try, just as an experiment, rotating the slot 90 degrees to horizontal instead of vertical. You might have to angle the boxes in slightly to compensate though.

Finally moved the other speaker down and spun the slots 90 degrees. We also moved the center cabinet and TV area, and got my old equipment rack back in the system. There's always more to do, but you can see the 2123s in their own box on top (not currently connected) - that gives you an idea of what I'm planning at least.

I built those for a trial listen and see if building a set of 4344 clones from these parts is a worthwhile change. For that I'll need a pair of Giskard Equivalent CC networks for the 4344.

But thats longterm - I still have to build cards for the 5235 crossover, and wire that up to the Citation 22 and Crown D75 I got, and see what effect biamping has on the system ... but thats probably early next year!

Gotta bake cookies next weekend - I hear the Holidays are coming!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Woo HOO, Heather, very nice. I am inspired!

Gonna move mine up from the dungeon and rework 'em.

Different approach, but I think you'll like the result.

[Think Model 19.... ]

Looks much nicer now ... and much smoother listening too I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames

Finally moved the other speaker down ...
    We also moved the center cabinet ...
    There's always more to do ...
    I built those for a trial listen ...
    I still have to build cards for the 5235 crossover ...
    Gotta bake cookies next weekend ...
    I hear the Holidays are coming!
    There are still 24 hours left each day.

jbl
    Heather,
    Your setup is looking great!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    Heather,
    Your setup is looking great!

Ron
    yes.... much more Feng Shui friendly....

No BS, these DO sound better than the shorter horns when used with 800 Hz crossovers, Heather.

Even *I* can hear the difference....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...864#post138864

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    No BS, these DO sound better than the shorter horns when used with 800 Hz crossovers, Heather.

Even *I* can hear the difference....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...864#post138864
    Saw your post this evening ... Very cool - but the hard part is to find a pair of the longhorns! Any ideas ... ?

Another point is to consider that I hope to rebuild mine towards 4344/45 specs - If the new Giskard's equivalent networks are like the original of the 4345s, which uses the crosspoints of 290hz, 1.3k and 10k, I won't need to be crossing that low anyway (besides, recommendations are to biamp at the low crosspoint ... ).

But thanks for the heads up - another possibility is always good!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Very cool - but the hard part is to find a pair of the longhorns! Any ideas ... ?
    Lookin' at about $100 a pair, apparently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-H-92...QQcmdZViewItem

Thread Information