Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about recorded "Live" music

Question How about recorded "Live" music

At Mr. Widget's suggestion, here's a new thread about what great...or even good...live recordings do you particularly like. I commented about quality of "Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr.: The RatPack Live at The Sands" from Sept. 1963. Another live album that I really liked as a teenager, and still do... and so did some 30 million other fans was "Frampton Comes Alive"...still like "Deep Purple Live in Japan", and "Humble Pie, Rockin' the Fillmore"..oh yeah..."Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore East"(I think). Not only is the recording very good on these, but so is the Performances. One more... ... Rare Earth Live...the one in the backpack looking cover, two record set. I really like a good mix of the crowd noise when done well....I think it adds to the concert listening experience...like those live at the Sands recordings....adds ambiance...Yeah baby.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thumbs up Okay, here goes

I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! was a great live album perhaps the GREATEST live rock album ever. Daltry was hot that night, Townsend was on fire, Entwistle was impeccable, and Moon was insane.

I wore one copy out and had to buy another. The remastered 1995 CD with a ton of extra music is even better, giving you a feel for how much of an experience a Who concert really was. No freaking studio limitations here. The studio only put these guys' nuts inside a tight rubber band. Here the rubber band is off.

Here are some reviews that say it better than I.

http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...atleeds2.shtml

http://www.inkblotmagazine.com/rev-a.../Who_Leeds.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! ....
    No flak here...I remember my brother bought that one. I'll have to check out the CD....alot of this great stuff is now on DVD too....though some of it is better left to the imagination due to the spotty video/film quality at the time.

Thanks for the tip, TD.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I said it in the other thread- but I'll say it here:
    Alison Kraus . Union Station
    Stunning. Exceptional.

How the West Was Won by Led Zepplin on DVD-Audio got critical acclaim in S&V and lots of it does sound good..., but some not so good.

For the most part I find that recordings of live performances don't measure up to their studio counterparts, and while the concerts can be great and generate a lot of energy, some of this energy is lost when you sit and listen (critically) by yourself.

There are of course some exceptions. One song that is good both in the studio and live (and both get lots of air play) is Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. But ya gotta crank it!!!

Wow, you won't get any flack from me on everybody's choices!! Great music!

"Live at Leeds" is probably my all time favorite album, ever. And like you Dome, I wore out one vinyl...had to get another.

Alison Kraus is probably the most "perfectly" performed music I've heard, good luck trying to hear any mistakes.

On the more rebel side of the coin, both Judas Priest "Live" and AC/DC "Live" CDs are monster...if you like the sound of big blasting Marshalls. Both mixes are excellent.

What do you guys recommend for live Pink Floyd?

Thanks.
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    (snip)

What do you guys recommend for live Pink Floyd?

Thanks.

I'm guessing member 4343 would recommend Pulse. I use it all the time when checking out new speakers when I want to know what they've got.

There's some great live work there on two CDs.

I have the Delicate Sound of Thunder LD, and that's a pretty good show, but Pulse is better IMO.
    Out.

Have you tried the Roger Waters Live double?? That's damn good especially the SACD version.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! was a great live album perhaps the GREATEST live rock album ever.
    Back in the day I bought the UK import version... it came with all kinds of re-printed memorabilia including their invoice for playing Woodstock.

It is a great performance, but it always sounded really thin in the bottom end to me. Odd how a live show usually has tons of bottom, but so many live albums sound thin. Kind of OT here, but not entirely... one of my favorite live recordings is of the phony band Still Water from the film Almost Famous. Played back at concert levels the live music portions of the movie are surprising. The damn thing sounds like there really is a 70's era band playing in the room. ...and a big room at that!

Widget

norealtalent
    Dire Straits, Live Alchemy

Title says it all...

I'd like to add Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. A legendary Live Album!

Best Live Recording

Do you guys remember The Thirteenth Floor Elevators? They were the first group to actually bill themselves as ''psychedelic.'' A live recording of some San Francisco performances by this Texas band became available for the first time, so far as I know--and I thought I had all their stuff (even ''A Bull in the Woods'' which was awful), a couple of years back. The recording is not impressive for the sound quality, which even for the mid-'60's was just so-so, and the idiots who spliced the tapes together boosted the recording level for the applause and cheering in between, which is extremely annoying, but the performances themselves were, well, pretty ''electrifying.'' King Crimson's ''Absent Lovers,'' recorded live in Montreal, in 1984, even though the tracks were laid down 22 years ago, in one of the best recorded live pieces I've ever heard--even with the idiosyncratic vocals. This band plays with a lot more power and punch (Tony Levin's bass playing, in particular, is astounding) than is evident in their studio renditions. Weirdly, though, the song ''Absent Lovers (Neal and Jack and Me),'' is not included in this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    It is a great performance, but it always sounded really thin in the bottom end to me. Odd how a live show usually has tons of bottom, but so many live albums sound thin. Kind of OT here, but not entirely...
    I have noticed that from when I started buying vinyl in the mid 50s, some would sound great while others sounded like they had already been played a 1000 times. My guess is that it was a bad pressing. I bought Buddy Rich live in the early 70s and it was the worst pressing I've ever heard, and I know the master couldn't have sounded that bad...
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Huh?

So, let me get this straight: "Absent Lovers" is absent from Absent Lovers?

"In Bizarro World, that must mean it's really there."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

RIP 2009
    The DZIHAN & KAMIEN Orchestra - Live in Vienna. It also includes a bonus CD. Excellent recording!

BTW - don't let "orchestra" confuse you - this is vary avant-gard electric stuff, with limited vocals.

John

Thread Information