Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy Protected Disc Problems?

Copy Protected Disc Problems?

I just got a copy of Dire Straits: Making Movies (Remastered) from Amazon.
    Its a great album and replaces a VERY worn vinyl copy. It plays fine in my HK changer on the big system - but it turns out that when I stick it in my Mac, it doesn't recognize the disc as a CD, so it can't play it or add it into iTunes. Its on the Vertigo/Mercury label.

FWIW - I don't share music online - its for my use at home or in my iPod ...

I have some other "CDs" that aren't recognized in the computer ... an old Chris Isaac CD, a couple Marianne Faithful releases.

I didn't buy a copy of the 30th Anniversary Edition of Springsteen's Burn To Run CD/DVD release because of the Sony copyright software rootkit issues ...

If its a copy protection issue, its frustrating and insulting that record companies are driving away legitimate purchasers of music, loyal fans and supporters of the music.

Anyone else have similar issues?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I do not know about what kind of software is available for Mac but try and see if you can find a program that dumps the disk to an Iso then burn it again.
    Always fun learning more.......

Yes I got some discs that will only play on my system. If I try (read: my wife) try to play them in the car, or on the PC, they won't play. They can not be copied normally. All of these Cd's are marked "Copy Protected". What you need is a program that let's you burn a copy. I never use burned Cd's on my system, as they do not sound as good as the original, but in the car or on a PC it is OK. I am looking for a program witch can burn Copy Protected Cd's, so if anybody has a tip, please post it.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    I

If its a copy protection issue, its frustrating and insulting that record companies are driving away legitimate purchasers of music, loyal fans and supporters of the music.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Just like I said above. If you have a PC get a program called WinISO or diskdump and then burn with nero or any other burning software that will burn an iso image
    Sorry. Did not noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Just like I said above. If you have a PC get a program called WinISO or diskdump and then burn with nero or any other burning software that will burn an iso image
    The problem with the disk is that it isn't even recognized as a CD when I load it in the Mac - if it can't "see" it there is nothing to copy/dump/burn or duplicate. If it could read the disk I'd have no need to copy it! I suspect it was deliberately made to not meet the usual disc format, and probably isn't really in CD format (doesn't meet the original Philps specs from the 80s).

I don't like to even insert Cds into Windows machines anymore. The Sony "copy Protection software" that got all the press a few months ago was targeted at Windows PCs. It was specifically designed to hack the Windows software and created a Root user on your PC to break links for NeroROM and similar software. But it was poorly coded, and it added instabilities to your PC, as well as providing serious vulnerabilities for other hackers to exploit.

Stupid stuff like that is one of the reasons I switched to Macs 2 years ago.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I played a copy protected disk from a cd player through my sound card right to an mP3. So much for copy protection. They should call it profit protection but they can't because it does not prevent piracy. I don't buy many Cds anymore, most new music sucks and I have better things to spend money on, like bills and motorcycles.

I don't understand why they do that. Figure most people had it in vinyl on these re masters. That's who the audience is not some 14 year old with an IPOD. So if you buy it but you can't copy it, or play it on your computer, what a crock that is

It really pissed me off when they shut Napster down. You used to be able to find all kinds of obscure out of print stuff.

Greedy bastards

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I don't understand why they do that. Figure most people had it in vinyl on these re masters. That's who the audience is not some 14 year old with an IPOD. So if you buy it but you can't copy it, or play it on your computer, what a crock that is

It really pissed me off when they shut Napster down. You used to be able to find all kinds of obscure out of print stuff.

Greedy bastards

Rob
    Is it really greed? Or are they just trying to protect their industry. Maybe the reason there's such a lack of great new music, is diminishing capital to cultivate and groom new talent. Counterfeiting is illegal, too. The music industry has been RIPPED OFF big time through conterfeiting music and the big studios and the artists have been deprived of their rightful income. The music industry has a right to be concerned. How would feel if your goods and services that you make a living at were stolen only to be duplicated and sold on the black market? Making a copy of a record for your buddy is one thing....but several million copies adds up to huge revenue losses, people lose jobs, local, state and federal budgets lose tax revenue, the roads need to be fixed, levies crumble, infrastructure crumbles....yeah I know....shut up, Edge...
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I hear you but we have a fair use law in the US where you are allowed to make copies. It all goes back to cassetes and VCR tapes. With this whole DRM deal we are going to loose that. Which means you can't make a backup of your own software and you can't drop it onto an IPOD. An IPOD is a digital Walkman with more storage than a cassete. They have been trying to kill our rights for years. It started when PC and burners became inexpensive and you could copy your own digital copies. MP3 and the internet totally blindsided them. Napster been down for years now so what file sharing software are they bitchin about now?? I don't know about you but any shared music I like I purchase. I don't buy that whole woes me they dish out. If they weren't producing garbage more people would be buying new music. Give me a break what the hell is American Idol all about. They sponsor that crap and then heavily promote them while real talent can't get an audition cause they don't seem "right" of fit the business model of some sweet young thing they can put on stage. Doesn't matter that they can't carry a tune but they sure look nice though. Instead of changing their business model they just try to blame their losses on Pirating. Maybe the RIAA should be looking off shore where the real problem is, China, and stop suing single mothers and grandparents because their 13 year old daughter or grandchild has an MP3 cash on their computer. Nothing personal but you reap what you sow.

Rob

Don't blame the computer or the drive

While it's true that your Mac won't play some of those crappy copy protected pieces of dung, there are also some regular CD players that choke on them, too. There are some CD drives that just can't handle all the extra junk thrown at them.

Like someone once said, "It's a feature not a bug." Of course, that's what a loser says when his poorly conceived, poorly coded, and poorly implemented software screws you. The loser in this case is the RIAA and all its lackeys.

You can take your legally purchased CD and exercise your guaranteed right to fairly use it for personal enjoyment, despite those corporate suit peckerhead con men who want to steal it back from you. (Who's the real thief when they steal back what they sold you?)

There's no software for Mac that will break the code (yet), but it's better not to have that potentially illegal stuff on your HD when when the government comes to lock you up for piracy because the RIAA told them to (while ignoring all kinds of real crime).

Anyway, off the soap box and on to trying to help:

http://www.macmerc.com/articles/Hack...ch_Mischief/14
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Give me a break what the hell is American Idol all about. They sponsor that crap and then heavily promote them while real talent can't get an audition cause they don't seem "right" of fit the business model of some sweet young thing they can put on stage. Doesn't matter that they can't carry a tune but they sure look nice though. Instead of changing their business model they just try to blame their losses on Pirating. Maybe the RIAA should be looking off shore where the real problem is, China, and stop suing single mothers and grandparents because their 13 year old daughter or grandchild has an MP3 cash on their computer. Nothing personal but you reap what you sow.

Rob
    Absolutely on the money. Its a friggin crime that they premote these acts the way they do. Aka, Jessica Simpson, Brit Spears may be a gorgeous women, but talented singers they are not. What about William Hong? Can you believe a label signed him and released a cd and people bought it!! Talent has very little to do with the recording industry these days. A highly marketable hook is the key factor and talent falls somewhere down the list. With todays electronics they could make a pig passing gas carry a tune. But then again, remember Tiny Tim?

Kudos Rob

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Absolutely on the money. Its a friggin crime that they premote these acts the way they do. Aka, Jessica Simpson, Brit Spears may be a gorgeous women, but talented singers they are not. What about William Hong? Can you believe a label signed him and released a cd and people bought it!! Talent has very little to do with the recording industry these days. A highly marketable hook is the key factor and talent falls somewhere down the list. With todays electronics they could make a pig passing gas carry a tune. But then again, remember Tiny Tim?

Kudos Rob

Ken

A pig passing gas, eh? So there might be a contract in my future!

You named two females who really buzz me off, but there are others who gall me even more, like Ashlee Simpson (how did both of those talentless Simpson chicks get contracts?--thanks Dad! ), Hillary Duff, Jennifer Lopez, and Lindsay Lohan.

Let's not forget the guys, like Justin Timberlake, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Jesse McCartney, Aaron Carter, Nick Carter--arrgh! there are so many.

Why can't we just copy protect these "artists" and make it impossible for them to be played on any CD player, MP3 player, or radio? Huh? Huh? :dont-know
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Why can't we just copy protect these "artists" and make it impossible for them to be played on any CD player, MP3 player, or radio? Huh? Huh? :dont-know
    Now we are going in the right direction!
    Always fun learning more.......

MaximumPC "Copy Movies and Music!"

The April 2006 rag features GeeeeK Speak on how to do it. In short, Download EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and the open-source LAME MP3, so you can encode your ripped files. Also, AUTORUN is the Enemy. Disable autorun on your optical drive. I'm NOT employed by MaximumPC
    "It's your INALIENABLE right to copy your digital media for PERSONAL use"
    Personal use is the key here. If you "Rip" to "Market" then the "Suits" have cause to flex their "Lobby" in this Of/By/For concept....

Copy Protected Disc Problems ... in fact nearly none.

I'm using a software probably not so often used in US, it is OS/2 by IBM. Besides that I use it for my daily work, privatly for loudspeaker calculations, I rip my LPs and burn them on CD. A Mac obviously offers much more audio software, but i can manipulate enough to get a good result.
    I'm using legal software and there are no tricks to do the job, the software simply ignores copy protection . (Once there was a long hiss trailer which had to be deleted. Some copyprotected audio tracks have short brakes, i.e. nill sound).

Starting with OS/2 today as a newbe may be quite cumbersome, but usergroups are helpful and engaged and there is an easy way. Details per PM.

Thread Information