Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2245h Help required

I have some 2245h as well with separated voice coils, is there a good aftermarket kit avaiable?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Use the data sheet here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/2245h.htm

No if you look they define the 600 continuous music and 3dB above the sine/RMS so it's a 300 watt woofer which is probably what the T/S has it specified at with PE.

Rob
    Thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    Normally a high pass filter will actually tighten up a system by reducing cone over excursion and by preventing the power amp from wasting power trying to amplify frequencies outside of the speakers design. Most kick drum thump/punch is in the 50hz to 70hz range. In most music there is not much in the area around 20hz. Special effects, synthesizers, true pipe organ recordings can be the exception. I think the low B on a bass guitar is only something like 32hz. I'm not familiar with your speakers but how do they state the 20hz rating, many are not flat down to their low end cut off but are rated to say -3db at 20hz some will even rate them at a lower db level cut off per a given frequency.

Mike Caldwell
    The dsc 280 can only be set by max 24 db per octive. It doesn't have a high pass filter, unless i am wrong. As for the response i will have to reffer you to Bentwood for the data. They will be coming to complete the real time anylis for phase alignment, offset and response measurements, with in the next coulple of days , I can post the results. The cabinets do produce extreme lows which can be heard in the brick house next to my detatched brick "play room". My wife doen't like when you interfer with the tv sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I am surprised about the thermal damage, it could be from a previous user.
    or possibly your amp is bleeding dc into the driver but that is unlikely

Even with 800 watts, that is well within the dynamic capability of these woofers according to Greg Timbers original 2245 subwoofer article. If you are attempting to use it for Pro sound reinforcement they might be unsuitable.

You might also check the tuning of the boxes, they should be tuned b/n 28-30 hertz for the 2245. I have never heard of horn loading the 2245 if I ead your post correctly!

Ian
    Yes they are horn loaded. The cabinet is designed for the 2245 T/s parameters. As for the amps they are 16 year old Bryston 4bs on monoblock. I live west of toronto and had to tend to buisness in area of Bryston Plant. I took the amps in for a check up today as they have a 20 year warr. I arrived at the plant at 7:30 am to be greeted by Cam the service manager. Cam gave me a grand tour. Everthing is hand built by personnel that care about the product. I spoke to some of the employees and sensed a really estatic workforce. The management obviously is do some right resulting in a product the evryone is proud of, including the consumer. I purchased the 3 amps used 1 year ago. They ran theme thru there testing program and the reults are still up to the original requirement. They even hooked up my Parasound HCA rated at116 or 118 db signal to noise to find out each channel was performong at 95 to 98 db. The para has a 60 hz bzz that i can't seem to get rid of.
    I hope i can sleep tonight. I know i'll be dreaming of 3 more brystons to replace my Parasound.

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    I recently purchased 10 identical factory JBL kits and 8 of 10 had faulty glue joints at the cone to coil former. There were many large gaps where the glue didn't touch one or the other. The two good ones were NOS, the 8 bad were freshly ordered. What does that say for anything else coming out their doors nowadays? I know mistakes happen but 100% garbage is inexucesable for any reason. They should never have made it by QC and the fact that they did is indicative of quality being sacrificed for the bottom line.
    Thanks for the information. I wish i took a digital picture when the dust cap was off to show you what the discolouration was. I have no idea what a correct colour is for the voice coil. Is it possible that you could post the picture of a virgin coil. Thanks

Parasound Buzzing Woe's Help

I Have a HCA 1206 80 watt six channel amp. I have cleaned the output relays and checked the solder joints . There still is a 60 herz buzz coming from my horns similar to the sound emited from a flourescence light. The sound doesn't get loader with volume. Parasound wants me to send it 3000 miles. Tried cheater plugs, grounding, different outlet with no success. It is sometinghing in the power supply. I had the unit hooked up at the bryston plant and the signal to noise was 95 to 98 db in the six channels which is substaintially worse than the 116 on there spec. I have disconnected the inputs and the buzz was still there. Is there a common problem with these amps. People have mentioned a problem with the transformer mounting but can't tell me the fix. Will i have to try a rope on for fishing

The high pass filtering can be applied in the EQ section by selecting the type of filter you want for a certain frequency. You would want a "shelf" filter.

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by jbldriven
    I Have a HCA 1206 80 watt six channel amp. I have cleaned the output relays and checked the solder joints . There still is a 60 herz buzz coming from my horns similar to the sound emited from a flourescence light. The sound doesn't get loader with volume. Parasound wants me to send it 3000 miles. Tried cheater plugs, grounding, different outlet with no success. It is sometinghing in the power supply. I had the unit hooked up at the bryston plant and the signal to noise was 95 to 98 db in the six channels which is substaintially worse than the 116 on there spec. I have disconnected the inputs and the buzz was still there. Is there a common problem with these amps. People have mentioned a problem with the transformer mounting but can't tell me the fix. Will i have to try a rope on for fishing
    Power supply de-coupling capacitors! I had one let go, the little ceramic disc caps that filter all the power supply noise over to ground, exactly what I heard, BZZZZZZZZ.
    scottyj

JBLGUY
    Hey JBLdriven....maybe that hum is coming from your pants......i've seen your type before in truck stops and bathrooms.

unplug your underwear

:shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    The high pass filtering can be applied in the EQ section by selecting the type of filter you want for a certain frequency. You would want a "shelf" filter.

Mike Caldwell
    Thanks i'll read the manual and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY
    Hey JBLdriven....maybe that hum is coming from your pants......i've seen your type before in truck stops and bathrooms.

unplug your underwear

:shock:
    What your talking about is a serious problem. The above mention problem results in deeper bass than most speakers can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Power supply de-coupling capacitors! I had one let go, the little ceramic disc caps that filter all the power supply noise over to ground, exactly what I heard, BZZZZZZZZ.
    . How was you problem deteched

. How was you problem deteched
    I had a crossover that had a really bad buzzing sound. Very loud 60hz type sound, BUUZZZZZZ! This shouldnt be! Checked everything, found nothing, took it to a tech, he found the problem. replaced faulty cap, no more noise.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    I had a crossover that had a really bad buzzing sound. Very loud 60hz type sound, BUUZZZZZZ! This shouldnt be! Checked everything, found nothing, took it to a tech, he found the problem. replaced faulty cap, no more noise.
    The crossover was electronic correct? I am shure the buzz is in the parasound not the DSC 280.

The crossover was electronic correct? I am shure the buzz is in the parasound not the DSC 280.
    Yeah, active electronic xover. BUT, the noise you describe could be PS decoupling caps gone bad, cold solder joint, broken lead, etc!

These caps are used to filter PS noise over to ground, and if you had one that wasnt doing its job, you would hear loud 60hz buzz.

Im thinking this could be the problem with your amp.
    scottyj

Thread Information