Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5235 Crossover- XLR to RCA adaptors

Yeas - finding the 552 was like the joy you experience when you stop banging your head on the wall ... ahhhh.

The point here is to test the 5235 that I bought just to be sure its in good shape before I post it to eBay. And finding my existing XLR adapters didn't work!
    So, I'll buy a second set of 6, modify them so they work with the 5235, then probably sell that set of "XLR connectors wired for JBL 5235" either here or ebay ...

I just don't want to modify the connectors I will use with the 552 ...

The joy of Standards is that there are so many to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    Heather- Although I admit it was a great learning experience for me working with the 5235 crossover, if you have access to a 552 unit, you can't switch it in fast enough. Although I'm not using the 552 in my original setup anymore (4648A/2445/2380), it does a fine job biamping my 4343s running four identical IPC AM 1027 theatre amps. Enjoy it, regards, wpod
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    So, I'll buy a second set of 6, modify them so they work with the 5235, then probably sell that set of "XLR connectors wired for JBL 5235" either here or ebay ...
    Skip it. Save yourself the hassle...

Get a multi-meter, check continuity between Pin3 and the barrier-strip (+) - these are parallel inputs (see 5235 Manual excerpt, below). If it checks good, use some of your scrap RCA leads (I think that is what you are using? If not, take an end off the XLR cables...) and connect to the barrier strips and run it.

I'm sure it will work fine - JBL built these really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks, but I already got my confirmation from Hong Kong late yesterday - they have shipped and I'll have them in 7-10 days.
    XLR to rca female - what's not to like?

I can always sell the modified connectors for cost here...

But thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Skip it. Save yourself the hassle...

Get a multi-meter, check continuity between Pin3 and the barrier-strip (+) - these are parallel inputs (see 5235 Manual excerpt, below). If it checks good, use some of your scrap RCA leads (I think that is what you are using? If not, take an end off the XLR cables...) and connect to the barrier strips and run it.

I'm sure it will work fine - JBL built these really well.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

For the record, it's only the output connectors need modifying. The inputs are balanced, and although inverted, they'll work with RCA/XLR cables.

It's the outputs that are the problem, as they are UNbalanced, and the standard XLR/RCA cables just short them.

A common "Work-around" is to use the terminal strip outputs instead, as Bo suggests above....

[Reconfiguring the XLR connections inside the unit is difficult.]

Thread Information