Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5235 Crossover- XLR to RCA adaptors

Me, I'd like to know how hard it would be to just flip the wires INSIDE the unit.
    A pain. The XLR's are soldered into the board. So unless you want to start cutting lands and adding jumpers stick to the terminal strip.

Rob

XLR Adapter update

Instead of making up custom cables as I had first considered, I found some inexpensive ($21.00 for six - delivered), 2 male and 4 female XLR to female RCA adaptors on Ebay. I spoke with the seller about the problem with needing pin #3 hot, and he assured me that it wouldn't be too much trouble to dismantle the unit and switch the two connections inside. Fortunately, I own one of the inexpensive Desoldering guns (Hakko 808) which should aid in the reconfiguration of these six adaptors. I'll keep you posted when the adapters arrive,to let you know if this is a worthwhile project or not. later, wpod

Shure is OLD!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam

I just checked the users manual. Pin2 = hot. That is convention, and makes sense.

I'm not sure what modified Shure you got, 4343!!
    Sorry, I typo-ed! Meant SM-81. Pin 3 hot on early models...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Tom Loizeaux
    Though I like the info, these kind of threads drive me nuts!
    I have several 5235 crossovers and I wired them following Rane's wiring practice chart. They all seem to work fine...but now I'm not comfortable knowng that I MAY HAVE wired them incorrectly at the JBL end!
    I'll have to pull out all the units, cables, and check polarity and referance them to the various factory wiring charts...!
    Wouldn't standardization be wonderful? !

Tom

It's worse, Tom: jkc's Jensen Transformer link tells how to rework the outputs.

Screw it. I'll use short cables....

just found this place and there prices seem very good ,Just bought some for my dbx studio rack.
    http://www.deepsurplus.com/s.nl?sc=2...1&it=A&id=1286

Received XLR adaptors

Name:  XLRRCA Adaptors 004.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  122.7 KBReceived the four male XLR@ $2.50 each, 2 female@ $2.75 each from Ebay seller "rdana" in four days (from west coast) for $21.05 delivered Priority mail. Overall quality is good, not a Neutrix, but good. Disassembly is easy although you have to turn setscrew clockwise to disassemble the XLR end of each unit. Conversion to "Pin 3 Hot" should be fairly straightforward and easily accessible, just need to desolder blue wire and reattach to to pin #3 as well as ungrounding pin #3 and grounding Pin #2. As the case (body) of the XLR plug is also ground, I think a small jumper from Pin#2 to setscrew pin ground will suffice. I'll give an update when I've completed the conversion. Regards , wpod

I have a JBL 5235 and tried it "once" with stock Cannon XL connectors . It seemed to work okay but probably because my amps are not signal grounded to via a mains earth.

I suggest making up an inline pin to pin adapter for both in and outputs using appropriate sockets/plugs and a short length of cable..

Ian

I recommend just using the barrier strips going to the single-enders for your pre-amp end. I can't imagine there is much more than a cosmetic reason to hassle with the XLR Pin3 re-wiring...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Conversion complete

Took all of 55 minutes to complete conversion and really didn't need the desoldering gun.Timewise and money invested ($21.05) seems like the practical way to go, plus I can use my standard shielded RCA interconnects. Already have one channel up and running, no hum ,no issues. Now I just have to reread that manual a few more times to be able to properly tweak it. The whole phase/polarity thing has me a bit confused, but I think that I can sort it out. Any specific do's or don'ts for the fine tuning? The crossover is between a 4648A cabinet (2-2226J) tuned to 40Hz and a 2445J on a 2380 horn. Thanks, wpod

Quote Originally Posted by wpod
    The crossover is between a 4648A cabinet (2-2226J) tuned to 40Hz and a 2445J on a 2380 horn. Thanks, wpod
    800 Hz FFBREQ cards? That's gonna work great. Put a capacitor in series with each 2445J sized per the 5235 manual recommendation to protect against DC and transients.

My 5235's quietly turn on and off, but my amps don't always....

Hey, Heather...

This looks exactly like what you were needing, and confirms my suspicion. If you don't have the full 5235 manual, now you do (me too!)!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    I looked through the 5235 manual and if I uderstand it correctly, if I want to use an XLR to RCA adapter (in order to use my regular RCA interconnects), pin3 (hot) on the XLR (5235) must be connected to the center pin (+) of the RCA connector (female).

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Indeed, 5235 is from an era when JBL and the industry standard were out of sync.
    , but the industry merely got it wrong - their intelligence was bad...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yeah - thanks - I thought I'd seen something about this last year - figured the Pro sound guys would know best ... so - I need to buy another 4 XLRs to convert into adapters and just give them away with the 5235 if I let it go and keep the (more flexible) 552 Active crossover.

Off to my eBay source (rdana again)!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hey, Heather...

This looks exactly like what you were needing, and confirms my suspicion. If you don't have the full 5235 manual, now you do (me too!)!!

, but the industry merely got it wrong - their intelligence was bad...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Ditch the 5235

Heather- Although I admit it was a great learning experience for me working with the 5235 crossover, if you have access to a 552 unit, you can't switch it in fast enough. Although I'm not using the 552 in my original setup anymore (4648A/2445/2380), it does a fine job biamping my 4343s running four identical IPC AM 1027 theatre amps. Enjoy it, regards, wpod

Thread Information