Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5235 Crossover- XLR to RCA adaptors

5235 Crossover- XLR to RCA adaptors

Greetings- The 5235 crossovers arrived safely a few days ago (Thanks again Dave) and now it's time to give them a test ride (first time for me). I looked through the 5235 manual and if I uderstand it correctly, if I want to use an XLR to RCA adapter ( in order to use my regular RCA interconnects), pin 3 (hot) on the XLR must be connected to the center pin (+) of the RCA connector (female).If memory serves me correctly, I thought that the AES standard was Pin #1= ground, Pin #2=HOT (non inverted), and Pin#3= COLD (inverted). A quick search of the internet and I found a few inexpensive (less than 5 bucks each) adapters, but I beleive that the ones that did specify their hookup, all listed Pin#2 as being hot. So, before I ramble on and confuse everyone further, is there an inexpensive source for these adapters (Two XLR male to RCA female, Four XLR Female to RCA female) that are oriented correctly for the 5235 crossover? If not, and I need to make them up myself, do I need to connect the third wire coming off of the XLR ,and if so, where is the best place to solder it?( to reduce/eliminate hum). Thanks very much, wpod Ps- I did try a search first , but could not find this explained anywhere.

Indeed, 5235 is from an era when JBL and the industry standard were out of sync.

I believe the only consequence of using current standard cables would be phase inversion, though I've never done that. If ground loop problems develop (hum), return the cables.

Same with the inputs, which I do all of the time.

To be perfectly correct, you have to make up custom cables, yes. I don't mess with that....

jkc
    I will refer you to this article which explains connecting balanced to unbalanced equipment reasonably well.

http://www.jensentransformers.com/an/an003.pdf

It might be easier to use the screw down strips. You are going unbalanced anyway. You can get low capacitance phono cables at Radio Shack that are terminated with an RCA on one end and stripped and tinned on the other. If they are long enough they work just fine without going through the trouble purchasing loose XLR's and cables to make them up.

I believe the only consequence of using current standard cables would be phase inversion, though I've never done that. If ground loop problems develop (hum), return the cables.
    Well no you short the outputs to ground if you go unballanced. Take a look in the 5235 manual.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Well no you short the outputs to ground if you go unballanced. Take a look in the 5235 manual.
    Granted, if the standard balanced to unbalanced cable connects one of the output phases to ground of the unbalanced input, does it matter whether that is the Hi or Lo?

Using the barrier strip screw terminal outputs on the 5235 seems the easiest and cheapest route to making the connection....

Granted, if the standard balanced to unbalanced cable connects one of the output phases to ground of the unbalanced input, does it matter whether that is the Hi or Lo?
    I see your point on the inputs they invert but look at the outputs. If pin 3 is always hot+ with the 5235 balanced and unbalanced and you use an Unbalanced Standard XLR to RCA Pin 2 Hot cable on the outputs with pin 1 and 3 are tied to ground??? Looks like you just shorted the output to ground. It's odd because the outputs are pin 3 hot with 1 and 2 tied together. Take a look at it and see what you think.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...5%20manual.pdf

Rob

jkc
    If you use the –ve out you will reverse the phasing to the next stage
    If the output is electronic and not fully floating it won’t work to good. It depends how they designed and built the balanced driver stage whether it works at all.
    It will work better with the +ve but not to good either if it is not a fully floating line driver.
    Fully floating line drivers are not so common as they cost more to make.
    Installing transformers or converting the next stage to balanced electronic input may be your best option if you are using it for a stereo at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Sure it does pin 3 is always hot+ with the 5235 balanced and unbalanced. If you put an Unbalanced Pin 2 Hot cable in it pin 1 and 3 are tied to ground so there goes your signal.
    ACK!!! I see that now. 5235 outputs are UNbalanced, pins 1 and 2 are connected internally....

Rob's right, and I've learned something again here!

Well, that makes it even easier using the barrier strip....

[Hasn't THIS been fun? ]

Yes, the 5235 is unbalanced.

Use the barrier strip connections, like Zilch suggests. Go from there to your single-enders and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    The 5234A is unbalanced, too.
    That is why I moved away from it.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Balanced in, unbalanced out, non-standard pinnage. Plenty of explanation in the FM. Rob pointed out the URL ... 'nuf said? -grumpy

Obsolete
    Yes, the 5235 is unbalanced.
    Fess up. You're all unbalanced...

Talking

heh... with non-standard pinnage.

Use the barrier strip connections, like Zilch suggests.
    Rob's idea, actually.

Me, I'd still be scratchin' my head trying to figure out why the XLR cables didn't work....

Re-wire in order?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Rob's idea, actually.

Me, I'd still be scratchin' my head trying to figure out why the XLR cables didn't work....
    Me, I'd like to know how hard it would be to just flip the wires INSIDE the unit.

Sort of head off the pinout problem before it me! I read the manual the other day, but already forgot about the pin 3 hot thing till I saw this thread!

I recently went through all my mics to check polarity, the only one that I could not flip to current pin 2 hot standard was a SM-87, pins go right to a circuit board... Not into taking it further apart, so it sports a label "Negative Polarity".
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343
    I recently went through all my mics to check polarity, the only one that I could not flip to current pin 2 hot standard was a SM-87, pins go right to a circuit board... Not into taking it further apart, so it sports a label "Negative Polarity".

I just checked the users manual. Pin2 = hot. That is convention, and makes sense.

I'm not sure what modified Shure you got, 4343!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information