Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a good preamp

a good preamp

hello. I need a good preamp to run my nakamichi pa -7 amp. I am also thinking of buying a yamaha pc 4002m power amp. what preamp would match up with these power amp. any info

I see no-one has yet replied.

Try the SEARCH function - there's been many discussions.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

kulashaker

a good preamp

Very good match for the PA 7 would be a Nakamichi CA 5 or CA 7.
    Used CA 5s can be bought for relatively little money.

how much money do you want to spend?

You have to help us help you....

1) what is your budget?
    2) Do you need/want tone controls ?
    3) Do you need a phono input ? moving coil too?
    4) is a remote important?
    5) is having XLR outs important?
    6) do you care about new versus used ?

Give us something to work with....

jblnut

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    You have to help us help you....

1) what is your budget?
    2) Do you need/want tone controls ?
    3) Do you need a phono input ? moving coil too?
    4) is a remote important?
    5) is having XLR outs important?
    6) do you care about new versus used ?

Give us something to work with....

jblnut
    7) What speakers do you plan to use?
    8) Do you want a simple preamplifier only or a pre with a tuner?
    9) Are aesthetics important? If so, black or silver, match the amp, display or no display?

Not harassment, just trying to get to know you.
    Out.

preamp

Hello . I have a technics su-a4 preamp that I love the way my speaker sound. but I have a problem. on the back of the preamp inputs It reads normal/dc- on the front of the preamp it has a little push button for normal or dc.keep in mind it has a loaudness control button. but when I push in the dc control button in the bass is much deeper the treble is crisp It runs or push the current even harder. Lets say I am runnuig about 80 watt rms with the dc button push in I can see the little red l.e.d. light starting to flash on and off.on the amp. ( I need more power) Is this normal or I am over reacting

rgrjit8
    Someone more knowledgable should be here in a minute, but it sounds like the flashing light is a warning indicator. It has something to do with whether an amp has a capacitor in the signal path or not. Hence the normal and DC coupled switch.
    Flashing red lights, is generally, not a good thing.

Someone else will have to come enligten us BOTH on this.

preamp

when I run about 75 watts rms or less every thing seems to work fine the amp may get a little warm but other than that it runs fine

Quote Originally Posted by gene
    Hello . I have a technics su-a4 preamp that I love the way my speaker sound. but I have a problem. on the back of the preamp inputs It reads normal/dc- on the front of the preamp it has a little push button for normal or dc.keep in mind it has a loaudness control button. but when I push in the dc control button in the bass is much deeper the treble is crisp It runs or push the current even harder. Lets say I am runnuig about 80 watt rms with the dc button push in I can see the little red l.e.d. light starting to flash on and off.on the amp. ( I need more power) Is this normal or I am over reacting
    This problem can't be analyzed from a distance and with this much (and partially garbled) information.

You may be under reacting. Your post is a little unclear. I'm not sure where the normal/dc switch is, preamp or power amp.

You are overloading something important.

"DC" probably means direct-coupled.

You may be activiting the protection circuitry in your amp. If so you're speakers have a lower impedance than you think and when you drive them hard your amp can't handle it.

Or, you may be over driving the amp, which may mean you are putting a lot of low frequency or direct current garbage into it with the DC switch engaged.

There is an online source that will sell you a copy of the manual for your amp. It may be overpriced, but you need it. Get it and read it. And/or take your electronics to a tech and get them checked out before you blow something expensive.

David

Why would you be running at 75 watts???? How big is the amp?? With a 200wpc amp you have maybe 4dB of headroom left. That's virtually none at all so you are out of gas and driving the amp way too hard. The DC button is Direct Coupled. Have to see how I have my Su-A6 is set-up. I think I have it running DC.

Rob

I have the technics manual for the preamp. it reads the use of the dc direct button is for the best pure sound you can get. but I belive i am pushing to much low end . that dc dirrect button act like a booster which drive the current even harder at low or high volumes.

If I understand you right, the DC button is on the pre-amp. I do not understand that you have a warning light on the same unit. I have never seen a pre-amp with overload warning.

If the red warning light is on your power amp, then you are pushing it to hard, and if you need to play that loud, or if your speakers are that power hungry you must get a bigger amp. If your amp is 200W pc you need at least to double or triple it.

Quote Originally Posted by gene
    I have the technics manual for the preamp. it reads the use of the dc direct button is for the best pure sound you can get. but I belive i am pushing to much low end . that dc dirrect button act like a booster which drive the current even harder at low or high volumes.

Hello Rolf. the lights are on my amp. my amp is being push hard ,I hope thats the only thing I am doing. my speaker are hungry -12 cubit ft. 2245h-2202h-2425hwith a 2344a biradial horn -2424h ports are 4 inch dia and 5 5/6 lenth. I belive i need a stronger amp but with with the same balls as the nakamichi pa-7 other amps I used in the past did not do the job speakers are 8 ohms

Lansing member Robh 3606 has a technics su-a6 preamp. If I can get him to him to answer .And hope to shead some light on this issue

Thread Information