Where do you dig out all that stuff ?
    Do you have a JBL Mine ?

YIAH !!!!

INCREDIBLE

IT LIVES IN THE "" ELDORADO"" OF THE JBL

LUCKYMAN...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Zilch,

Even cone based systems have varying Di versus frequency but this hardly gets a mention.

Perhaps the noteably issue is the soft/hard edge of various horn types / geometry.

Again, those reflections can be good or bad depends on taste and the speaker location choices in the room.

If on the other hand my room was totally dead i might prefer the 100 x 100 thingy.

Ian
    I feeling, you have realy too much variation on set-up mesurement. your room is as possible same at all set-up, if you put out or foward big object or speaker, you altered the relation of speaker and room..

Put a tempory mark on floor and keep smal laser for calculate oreintation angle... no big expense but really benefit for control mesure repeatability.

Maybe you found in internet a module or other gadget to determine the echo in room in regard of 1/3 octave... it is realy important for determine if your room is too dead or too live or splendid...

remember the mic free field is realy sensible in angle (this is not a random mic)

so displacement mic is all the time put at pointer (o degree) on small source driver...

other point it is critical to go out of 6 feets on mic because your presence is altered your response....

mic ideally is upper than 1.2 m but it is not possible....

in general, the 3 big modal response room is appear in in botton level frec and it is a major peak and hole response...

the axial and tangential mode produce the flutter over mid and high frec and it is easy trapped by damping in good place. In same time, this absorbant operate a control echo...

the rule is arround 60 % surface traement expose excellent result, not too dead, not tooo live. .4 at .6 RT60 isappear conform to standart architectural.

for mesure mode see pict :

Put speaker in one corner and put mic mst big longer distance as possible and in double opposite corner. start RTA and voila peak is modal response room

same in parrallele for axial.

I hope this ip is interesting.

Attached Images Attached Images  

SRX712 voltage drive for 2431H:

Top = basic filter
    Bottom = after notching

Field application of the technology at very bottom....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

do you have personnaly mesured the effect in this field???

Jean

-----------------------------

HEY this is a matched pair....

the sock is same profile than grill

this pair is sound problably very good....

Response curve of 2431H's (two averaged) on SRX712 waveguides. Very similar to 2332's (previous page).

For comparison, same drivers on PT-F waveguides, which are apparently doing a better job of dispersion above 10 kHz, i.e., better Directivity Index:

A tale of three waveguides:

At the risk of y'all thinking I'm makin' this up, here are the results of a simple test with the three 90° x 50° waveguides currently under evaluation.

Method: EQ flat 22.5° off axis, half of horizontal spec. Measure on axis. All with same 2431H driver.

This is how I normally EQ, mic in middle, aimed at speakers separately, left and right.

Note: RTA sensitivity is twice what I normally post. Here, 2.5 dB per dotted line.

1) 2332 flat off axis (Beautiful!)
    2) 2332 on axis
    3) SRX712 flat off axis
    4) SRX712 on axis

ACK!!

And by comparison,

PT-H95, same two conditions. No wonder those aluminum horns sound "crispy." It may just be they need to be mounted and damped as suggested above, but I'm bettin' PT waveguides have directivity under substantially better control.

Admittedly, I'm cuttin' a fine line here: +/- 2.5 dB.

O.K., O.K., I'll mount 'em before I give up on them....

Zilch,

Nice work, it would appear the 2332 Di index narrows above 8 kerts.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ... it would appear the 2332 Di index narrows above 8 kerts.
    Yup, and that may be the root of Sebackman's difficulties using it two-way in his HT. Looked good in measurements, but HF couldn't be successfully EQ'd. HF extension isn't worth a whit if it crashes off-axis in a constant-directivity system.

Which has led me to review the published beamwidth, DI, and HF polar plots of the various PT waveguides in acutal product. They are shown on the various spec sheets here:

http://www.jblpro.com/ae/index_B.html

PT-F1010 looks the best and flattest, I think, though JBL doesn't make a product using that one with 2431H for direct comparison, just 1" drivers with throat adapters.

It certainly speaks to the utility of these with 2418H-1, 2426, et.al., tho.

My avatar shows the 2431H/PT-F1010 combination for those new to this thread and wondering what the heck this is about.

Tech note regarding influence of DI here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...4269#post64269

"In general, a system with a relatively smooth on-axis DI can be equalized for flat power output over a wide frequency range. A system which has a rising on-axis DI cannot be successfully equalized, because the on-axis response will tend to rise at high frequencies."

As illustrated above, presumably.

What's the relevance? Flat DI is part of 4430's "magic" formula, as documented in the tech note. If you wanna play constant directivity, it must be uniform throughout the system frequency range....

Yup, and that may be the root of Sebackman's difficulties using it two-way in his HT. Looked good in measurements, but HF couldn't be successfully EQ'd. HF extension isn't worth a whit if it crashes off-axis in a constant-directivity system
    Zilch,

I had mentioned that I got my pair of 2435s yesterday, and I tried them first on the 2332 horn. The response was very flat and then rolled off fast above (I think) about 8 or 10 khz, which I expected with a CD horn. When I tried to boost the highs as I do with my 2450SL, I couldn't get them flat, and they still exhibited a roll-off from about 12k hz (I'm going from memory here) on up. I mention this because I saw a pronounced notch in the HF somewhere around 10 or 12khz, and it looked a lot like the response you were getting with the 2431s on the 2332. The 2450SL, on the other hand, does not show any such notch, and is easily EQ'd out to 20khz with a simple shelving filter. When I put the 2435s on the 100x100 PT waveguides, I still could not EQ to 20Khz, but the notch disappeared and the roll-off was smooth. Do you think there is some type of incompatibility with the 2435/2431 drivers and the 2332 horn that doesn't exist with the PT waveguides? Do you have another 1.5" exit driver you can try with the 2332 to see if this is the case? I'm just curious.

Hi, Steve,

I'm pleased to welcome another member to the PT/243x quest!

Regarding the notch, see http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...514#post64514. 2332 is an "Optimized Aperture" horn, and may not work well with these other drivers, as you suggest: the phase plug might simply be wrong. 2431 and 2435 are the only 1.5" drivers I have here, so I can't check it out.

I get essentially the same response with SRX712 horn as well, though, and that one JBL uses with 2431H. They're kinda shy about publishing the beamwidth and DI data above about 12 kHz, tho, and the response curve reflects similar "problems."

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/PDF/JBL.SRX712M.pdf

Same notch in the frequency response here:

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/PDF/JBL.SRX715.pdf

I can get them flat, but not both on and off axis concurrently. These combinations are "kinky."

Look at the beamwidth and DI of DMS-1. Even with the proper driver, 2332 goes weird between 8 and 10 kHz. The recommended voltage drive for it reflects the requisite compensation.

You'll have some difficulty pushing the 2435 to 20 kHz, even on PT waveguides. It does not exhibit the HF extension 2431 does, perhaps because of the the ferrofluid. Allegedly, 2435 is "pistonic" out to 17kHz, a good feature, if real.

The rolloff is smooth, as you have seen, though, and passive EQ is easy with AM HF filter. Use active EQ on top of that, and it will push. I don't know what the quality of that response is, tho. It's not as if I can hear it up there....

What's the diifference betwen the 2431 and 2435? Is it the diaphram material? I can't see applying so much boost to try and get the top flat of the 2435. I'm going to try finding a suitable tweeter. Is the 045Be driver and horn available to us mere mortals? I'm going to check out the TAD ET703 as well. Any other suggestions?

Sssh! We mustn't speak of tweeters...

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    I'm going to try finding a suitable tweeter. Is the 045Be driver and horn available to us mere mortals? I'm going to check out the TAD ET703 as well. Any other suggestions?
    This is Zilch's Quick and Dirty thread.... we don't speak of tweeters here.

Though I agree with you about excessive HF boost. In my recent experiments it seems the phase issues related to adding more than a few dB of EQ are detrimental to the overall coherency of the soundstage.

Here is a bit from Garry Margolis from his 1976 article, "Inside the Studio Monitor"

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    What's the diifference betwen the 2431 and 2435?
    The full exposition of the various 243x drivers begins here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...age=27&p=54744.

Notably 2431H is "A version of the 2430 with a narrower coil milling and flat surround for more extended HF response." 2431H is .002" 5052 aluminum; 2435HPL is .0016 Beryllium foil and uses ferrofluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    ... we don't speak of tweeters here.
    I DID suffer a momentary lapse of reason at one point:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...lege#post46524

Thread Information