Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Quick & Dirty 4430-Inspired Two-Ways Part II

works for me if those 4 ingredients sum up 58 pages of know-how...

somehow I think there is a 5th ingredient called "a little magic" and a 6th called "a lot of hard work"

like having a feeling for which drivers are "capable" and how far the "extended HF range" should extend and how much "compensation" is enough and what one can try to compensate and what not and what can be boosted and what not

so, while the 4 ingredients are nice to start with, you still need to read the whole 58 pages to create a succesfull system!

frank

Obsolete
    That depends on the definition of success. I wouldn't use this thread as any kind of cookbook for coming up with quasimodo 4430 designs. It's a fun thread basically outlining what people can do in their garages with an RTA and a bunch of boxes and drivers laying about. Standard DIY fare that falls into the category of what works for one person may not work for another. It should give people who have similar drivers laying around and no clue as to what to do with them some ideas.

I'd really like to talk about the latest systems from JBL with respect to this thread but unfortunately I'm not permitted to at all. That's probably a conversation a year or two down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    [Tune to taste.... ]
    Quote Originally Posted by frank23
    "a lot of hard work"
    Yep. Fortunately the DIY crowd can call it quits whenever they feel like since they are quite often designing and implementing only for themselves. "Hey, that sounds good enough to me. My system is done dude!"

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    That's probably a conversation a year or two down the road.
    With a little luck and care in choosing your hunting buddies, we'll be here.

Widget

Obsolete
    Hey! Thanks for that tip Mr. Widget!

I hear he as taken "full responsibility". - Like duh!

Quote Originally Posted by frank23
    somehow I think there is a 5th ingredient called "a little magic"....
    Yes, there's certainly that. Some combinations just work together better than others.

I'd suggest that many "Vintage" systems might be enhanced with this approach, but I'm not advocating that anyone tear into them without trying out the ideas first.

Building from scratch, or from components and boxes, the results can be surprisingly good. There's new options here worth considering.

I'm working with a pair of Lancer 101's this week, and my 4325's after that.

Then, perhaps, a pair of S7 Olympus and S7R Sovereigns.

Mileage may vary, of course....

Measured tunings of above "Family Snapshot" boxes

Per WT2 Fmin:

("-#" = open ports)

4507-3 = 34.30 Hz
    4507-2 = 27.79 Hz
    L200-2 = 36.48 Hz
    L200-1 = 27.26 Hz
    B380 = 26.22 Hz
    Citation 7.4 = 28.12 Hz
    L55 = 27.27 Hz (too low)
    S99 = 30.96 Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I'd really like to talk about the latest systems from JBL with respect to this thread but unfortunately I'm not permitted to at all. That's probably a conversation a year or two down the road.
    With good fortune, we'll be here to do just that.

Your participation throughout this project has been of great assistance, and I thank you again for your help.

Thanks also to the MANY contributors to this thread. It's been a fun and fulfilling experience on multiple levels, and I expect the rewards will continue well into the future....

Thread Information