Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick & Dirty 4430-Inspired Two-Ways Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    I find the investment ( by JBL ) in those three added elements quite interesting to say the least / since one can't easily point to an obvious FR payoff .
    Agreed. That (and board space) is why I ignored it initially.

I'll add them anyway, external now.

(No fuse, tho.... ]

I find the investment ( by JBL ) in those three added elements quite interesting to say the least / since one can't easily point to an obvious FR payoff.
    I guess that's why JBL doesn't design by RTA!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Nope, they just slather (or dust) on the Aquaplas.

[As appropriate.... ]

Yup, it's the network impedance, all right:

1) Without filter
    2) With filter

8-Ohm dummy woofer.

Tube amp would NOT be happy without it, nope....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Done Dirt Cheap

Hey isn't that a song??

Rob

Tube amp would NOT be happy without it, nope....
    - Hey there ya go . Somebody still cares about constructing relatively constant-resistance networks . That approach is underscored in some parts of an older Sams' book I have ( published 1949 ) called "The Recording & Reproduction of Sound" by Oliver Read .

- The phase response also has a nicer slope to it .

Quote Originally Posted by Widget
    - Sometimes I think you're on commission for the good ship Clio .

Quote Originally Posted by Robh
    Done Dirt Cheap
    - Yeh ,I too prefer the most economical approach
    - Maybe if I was trying to get people to purchase speakers from me , it would be a different story .

Zilch

Now back to the fuse question ( & my guess/response to your initial question ) .

- Obviously for this LCR to have such a broad based impact on system impedance, the "Q" of that filter must be pretty low. I had assumed it was ( high ). So that still leaves open the question of just what voltages might potentially develop across either of those two reactive components .

- Worth noting ; as far as I've seen, the N3100 is the only network sporting a fuse along with its' LCR impedance filter .

- This has been all quite enlightening .

"Yeh ,I too prefer the most economical approach "

Well we all like a bargain but you do get what you pay for. Sometimes there simply are no short cut's with either the expense or engineering that will get the job done to the standard we have come to expect.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    Sometimes there simply are no short cut's with either the expense or engineering that will get the job done to the standard we have come to expect.
    - Yeh well, let's not forget that it was Widgets' ears that identified that something was amiss with his project speakers. The ears finally even over-ruled the instilled logical disbelief ( due to the overbuild of the bracing ). CLIO merely confirmed the ears diagnosis . I also have to wonder if anyone would normally bat an eye at finding such a tiny blip in the systems' impedance response if the "ears" weren't forciing the brain ( and eyes ) to commit to a search for answers .

- Sometimes I think you're on commission for the good ship Clio .
    I wish! Although so far, I'd have made naught... you are one who likes bargains... you should look at it yourself. It is virtually an equal at MLS measurements to the significantly more costly MLSSA, it is virtually the equal to the more costly LEAP system for sinusoidal and harmonic distortion measurements, it now is also capable of FFT, RTA and Live Transfer Function measurements like Smaart Live...

Beyond that it does:
    - Sound Level Meter a complete IEC61672 integrating sound level meter with Leq and frequency analysis
    - Linearity and Distortion analysis gives you a complete view of the non linear behavior of a piece of electronic equipment
    - Interactive L-C-R Bridge permits passive components measurement on the fly
    - Wow&Flutter Meter with time and frequency analysis
    - Frequency Counter

Earl, you of all people shouldn't be without it!

Widget

"- Yeh well, let's not forget that it was Widgets' ears that identified that something was amiss with his project speakers."

Hello Earl

You lost me. What does that have to do with doing something on the cheap??? Widgets cabinets were an unforseen problem on a first build prototype. That's a bit different from trying to re-engineer an existing proven design. That also applies too substituting driver diaphrams and cone kits.

Rob

I also have to wonder if anyone would normally bat an eye at finding such a tiny blip in the systems' impedance response if the "ears" weren't forciing the brain ( and eyes ) to commit to a search for answers .
    I think a more experienced designer would have looked at the impedance plot during the design process... I know I am doing that now...

The most important aspect of that experience was the ability to quickly make changes and see the results... this sped up the evaluation by orders of magnitude. The same is true when setting up a multi-way speaker where you need to balance the drivers whether active or passive. In the past it would take me weeks of auditioning and tweaking before I was able to really "know" what I had. When I got my first RTA it helped speed up the process, and with a higher resolution measurement system it speeds it up further... thats why Bo and Oldmics drag Smaart Live and a lap top along with them to every gig they do... sure the ears are the final judge, but the proper tools help get you in the ball park so much quicker.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Widget
    Maybe not design, but there is picture back in old Stereo Review of a couple of insiders listening with an RTA by the side- just like Zilch. Listening to L100T models.
    David F

Clearly, there are better, more sophisticated, and more informative tools available, and I'm headed that direction myself (as soon as the UPS guy gets here).

However, I believe we can all agree that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do this without the appropriate measurement tools.

It's apparent in this thread and others here that a simple RTA can carry the endeavor a very long way, indeed, and it certainly expedites the process.

If I've accomplished nothing else here, it has been to make the utility of an RTA familiar on the forum.

I've said it before, and it's worth repeating: I could not do this without one. No way.

But I also listen, and I'm getting better at that, too....

Thread Information