Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick & Dirty 4430-Inspired Two-Ways Part II

Hi Zilch

Maybe LE14's deserve their own thread more fully exploring the potential.
    Yeh, probably,,, but too late now .

jus' have to work with LE14H-3 a little more to make them sound their best. I'll be watching for more Project Array details, schematics, in particular, with considerable interest.
    - I'd suggest,,, start considering a 700 to 800 hz crossover point for use with a 3" diaphragmed / 1.5" exit compression driver .
    - Horns ? Some other Manufacturers come to mind.
    - Here's one example from DDS ( this is setup for vertical mounting a la the "Array Series" ) .
    - I'd also suggest doing what JBL does ,, politely ignoring (when they can ) the "1/2 octave lower than Fc for proper acoustic loading" rule and start exploring so called 1000 hz CD horns from other manufacturers . "Preferred Practices" for SR use & Home use really is different . You may just find that other horns have the same amount of loading as the H3100 ( for instance ) when used down to 750hz .
    - DDS actually does mention 800hz in their copy. Just not as a recommended crossover point . That's understandable given the SR idustry they typically OEM to .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    Yeah, well, I certainly understand the fascination with the 2235H so I guess if there are people out there that like it better then good for them.
    LE14's got a bad rap for muddy midrange due to cone mass.

To me, they play just fine, right through 1kHz and beyond....

LE14's got a bad rap for muddy midrange due to cone mass.
    Heh,

- I remember that quote & I stick by it .
    - I'd actually say "veiled" more than muddy .
    - The deeper gap of the le14h-3 should have offered a bit more resolution / but so far I've heard "nadda" that would confirm that hypothesis.
    - OTOH, I've heard quite a few opinions expressing a preference for the older .6" short coil ( read rising mid ) . Who would have thunk it ?

"LE14's got a bad rap for muddy midrange due to cone mass."

Yeah I think the older systems where they were maried to the Le-20 is the problem. The box is too small so you can't see how low they can really go and crossing them at 1.5-2K is really pushin things. I think that's how most people have heard them. I use 14A's as subs and have 2235's and those Le-14 have nothing to be ashamed about. I think the 2235's have a bit more punch but the Le14 sounds like they have perfect pitch. You can hear every single note.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Yeah I think the older systems where they were maried to the Le-20 is the problem.

I think the 2235's have a bit more punch but the Le14 sounds like they have perfect pitch. You can hear every single note.
    You are the winner!

Note -
    The current LE14H-1 (latest recone kit) and the LE14H-3 yield extremely similar results. They can be considered interchangable. They have somewhat of a rising response. The original LE14H-1 as used in the 240Ti and 250Ti (Hawley cone) had remarkably flat response.

You are the winner!

Note -
    The current LE14H-1 (latest recone kit) and the LE14H-3 yield extremely similar results. They can be considered interchangable. They have somewhat of a rising response. The original LE14H-1 as used in the 240Ti and 250Ti (Hawley cone) had remarkably flat response.
    And the LE14A and H reconed with H-1 kits (which is all that's currently available for them,) they're better than original LE14A cones, as well, in these applications, i.e., subwoofer and "full" range to beyond 1 kHz?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Heh,

- I remember that quote & I stick by it .
    - I'd actually say "veiled" more than muddy .
    - The deeper gap of the le14h-3 should have offered a bit more resolution / but so far I've heard "nadda" that would confirm that hypothesis.
    - OTOH, I've heard quite a few opinions expressing a preference for the older .6" short coil ( read rising mid ) . Who would have thunk it ?
    The LE14H-3 has more cajones than LE14A, for sure. Kinda like LE15A vs. 2235H to me.

Do I like LE15A? Yes. Do they play in B380? Well, yes, but only briefly, while the 2235H's are gettin' refoamed....

scA7500

Back Caps 2435hpl?

Zilch, I have recently upgraded my A7-500's to 2435HPLs on 2352 medium format horns. Midrange is Significantly clearer than the prior 2451s on the same horn. These drivers are truly awesome. Anyone have a lead on larger back caps for the 243x? The forum has really be helpful with my project. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scA7500
    Anyone have a lead on larger back caps for the 243x?
    Not available, to the best of our knowledge, alas. 2435HPL plays down to 800 Hz with the smaller back cap in testing. I've never heard what it sounds like down there, tho.

A recent post indicated that it was designed for maximum lower frequency output (down to 400 Hz) with the larger back cap as 435Be.

Quote Originally Posted by scA7500
    Zilch, I have recently upgraded my A7-500's to 2435HPLs on 2352 medium format horns. Midrange is Significantly clearer than the prior 2451s on the same horn. These drivers are truly awesome. Anyone have a lead on larger back caps for the 243x? The forum has really be helpful with my project. Thanks.
    Hey Zilch! The 2352. Isn't that the one that got away?? (I mean, the only one you haven't tried?)

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    The 2352. Isn't that the one that got away?? (I mean, the only one you haven't tried?)
    Heh. I ain't goin' there. Nope.

Those "medium format" horns are HUGE!

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/23525354.pdf

[The directivity index IS good tho.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Not available, to the best of our knowledge, alas. 2435HPL plays down to 800 Hz with the smaller back cap in testing. I've never heard what it sounds like down there, tho.

A recent post indicated that it was designed for maximum lower frequency output (down to 400 Hz) with the larger back cap as 435Be.
    435BE is the consumer version of the 2435 and has a larger back can to lower the useable response from around 1 kHz to around 650 Hz. It is quite happy down to 800 Hz. Slope roll-off is curved such that passive EQ is difficult. Roll-off starts around 7 kHz. Digital parametric EQ is the way to go. Watch out for latency in digital crossovers.

The 2431 is an improved 2430 and offers better HF response. It has an improved surround. 435AL is the consumer version of the 2431. They all use aluminum diaphragms with improved kapton surrounds as compared with the older 2421/2441 style diaphragms.

The 2425 is fairly breakup free up to around 15 kHz. It starts to roll off around 2 kHz and is easy to passively EQ. The aluminum diaphragm is "better" than the titanium diaphragm because it is better damped. The titanium can handle the abuse. And most recently - Aquaplased titanium is very smooth across the bandwidth and only loses about 1 dB of output at 20 kHz due to the increased mass.

Parts ordered for LE85 (and other 16-Ohm driver) compatible version of NL200t3.

The simple circuit is eminently tweakable using Spice.

Gonna be sweet, I betcha....

Aquaplased titanium is very smooth across the bandwidth and only loses about 1 dB of output at 20 kHz due to the increased mass.
    Izzat 1 dB down evenly across the bandwidth, or just at the extreme high end?

Actually, I wouldn't mind it rolling off quicker at 20 kHz....

As requested, 2426H on 2344A, B380 LF.

Top = N3134 at "0"
    Bottom = NL200t3

The latter is 5 dB "brighter"

Thread Information