Thread: le 20 tweeter question

le 20 tweeter question

i have two le 20's a good one with a hole in the cone and a bad one with a beautiful cone. can i put the good cone in the good tweeter? i don't know how to take them apart. can anybody help?

norealtalent
    Theoretically it is possible. Can you do it? I don't know how sucessful I would be at doing it. The cone is glued to the basket at the outside edge and at the coil former. The former is glued to the spider and spider to the basket. You want to leave the former and spider but still have to change cones. That old paper and glue are hard to work with 30-40 years later. I think it's possible but does not have an extreme likelyhood.

Quote Originally Posted by peterepete
    i have two le 20's a good one with a hole in the cone and a bad one with a beautiful cone. can i put the good cone in the good tweeter? i don't know how to take them apart. can anybody help?
    Yeah...but you gotta be careful. The black aluminum face trim ring is adhesive backed or simply glued to the cone frame. The diaphragm and magnet are two pieces that are screwed together. The screws(180 degrees apart) are under the trim ring around the edges of the cone. You need to apply heat to soften the trim ring glue, and very carefully slide a blade under it to remove it....easy, huh?
    Try not to distort the trim ring, you'll want to reuse it for cosmetics...that is, if you get it off cleanly.

Next, remove the two screws from the diaphragm assembly(cone/voice coil) frame. Carefull pry the magnet from the frame. If it's never been apart, apply a little lighter fluid(butane) to the joint to penetrate for separation. There's two locating pins that align the two mating parts. Wipe off any butane and let the rest evaporate before reassembling the two good pieces... make sure you don't damage the voice coil of the good diaphragm...just go slow and be diligently careful.

Hope this is helpful....good luck

Edit: Sorry for the misread....you'd probably be better off trying to patch the hole in the good coil unit. But you can use the above procedure to get them apart, anyway. Maybe you could post some pics of the LE20's?
    Last edited by edgewound; 02-15-2006 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I shoul' read more carefully
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

norealtalent
    Sounds like you just told him to take out a bad cone with a good coil and replace it with a good cone with a bad coil???

The good cone has a bad voice coil, sounds like, depending on what "bad" means.

That'll require rebuilding, no?

LE20 kits NLA?

norealtalent
    Somebody really good, with a lot of patience and plain luck, could cut the cones out and swap the good cone onto the good coil. I'm with Zilch, rebuild or replace. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anybody from trying to fix it. I remember my early days in audio when I couldn't afford x,y or z and had to make do with what I had. That tweeter could be fixed by a very determined, intelligent person.
    My advice, and I rarely give "advice," better yet, I'm not going to type this all out. If you want my advice, pm me and we'll talk on the phone.
    Last edited by norealtalent; 02-15-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: doh!!!

Thread Information