Thread: Quick & Dirty 4430-Inspired Two-Ways Part I

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote from another thread:

"Given the room finishes I would steer away from the 4430 bi radial unless you propose to damp the walls.

The wash off these monitors will overpower the direct radiated sound to your ears otherwise."

Certainly early reflections can be a problem with wide-field biradials in a "live" listening environment, though JBL touted this as a desireable feature in monitoring installations. It has not been a problem in my garage, apparently because there's so much other "stuff" in there. Note that the 4430's controlled 100° horizontal field is already somewhat narrower than that provided by the dispersion lenses of earlier monitors. Everything in context.

Edit: On this subject, from the Project Everest White Paper:

"Some loudspeakers which have a wide radiation pattern tend to produce a rather "spacey" sound, inasmuch as they may bring into play considerable local room reflections. Many listeners at non-center positions mistake this for cues in the recording itself, and such loudspeakers give the impression of richness in ambience, but of course without precision of localization."

We earlier discussed the availability of dispersion patterns other than the 4430's 100° X 100° in Progressive Transition waveguides which might serve to satisfy those who prefer a narrower field. They're available in 100° X 100°, 90° X 50°, 70° X 70°, and 60° X 40° versions, in both square and compact rectangular (my preference) format.

Here's the PT-F64HF, the 60° X 40° version, shown also in comparison the PT-F1010HF (right) which I am presently using. It's quite solidly molded, heavy even. Note the difference in depth between the two versions. Time alignment might be more akin to 4430 standard, though that would have to be confirmed with testing.

K2-S9800 and Project May use a 90° X 40° horn (correct me if I'm wrong, please). Apparently JBL has never produced a compact PT-F version other than prototypes in that pattern (no current products use it), but a square PT-H95HF 90° X 50° is available for those who might prefer controlled vertical dispersion and reduced early ceiling/floor reflections. 4430's identical 100° horizontal beamwidth for both LF and HF drivers at crossover seamlessly melds the system into one source, according to JBL design....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information